justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-1-2004 at 13:44 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bphiett
I remember a conversation in solent sailboards one time when I was informed that kitesurfing is a sport for failed windsurfers. Whats a failed windsurfer I asked. One that can't loop was the reply. Nuff said

Uh oh.... lots of failed windsurfers here then... including me!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 16-1-2004 at 12:31 Reply With Quote
As for me ...

Well my goals for 2003 were to get more confident on a smaller, narrower board (103l flow) which I feel I achieved when the wind finally gave me a few chances to use it. As for mastering the carve gybe, well that may take a little more time, especially at only 20 sessions a year. I'm staying dry on most, but planing out of none...in fact, it's all a bit of a mess from the rig flip onwards.

As for 2004 ...
Get out more
Keep improving those gybes
Improve control in choppy conditions
Finally master double forwards ;-)

Cheers

Nick

adrian_janssen
Grommet

Member #: 499
Posts 10

Mood: Lookin' up (goin to CT soon!)

posted on 16-1-2004 at 13:25 Reply With Quote
I mastered the involuntary half-forward, does that me a half-good windsurfer or a half-crap one? Or just an entirely crap one? ;P
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 19-8-2004 at 06:26 Reply With Quote
Time to check up on progress before the real winds start for the autumn (yep, its nearly September, summer is on its way out and the fun should realy start!)

quote:

Surfing
Just get out a little bit more and try to recover some of my skills.

Hmm, still not much joy on this one...just not enough surf. I have had some fun in the waves though on occassion..

quote:
kitesurfing
Aims for 2004 are to get a more modern kite, clean up my landings, get a bit more speed up and to learn to go toeside.

Well, I now have use of a full quiver of 2004 Flexifoil Strikes, so that part has been fulfilled, my landings are better and my jumps better. I'm more confident onthe water (and in the air) and can sort of go toeside, but not brilliantly... Guess I still need to work on the toeside bit and now start going for loops.

quote:
Windsurfing
Still can't duck gybe, have tried numerous carving 360's without success, but my carve gybing is much better and I generally feel more in control in mad conditions. Aims for 2004 are to sail in a few different locations and keep up the stoke!

Well, my duck gybing hasn't improved, nor have my carving 360's.. Much of that is becasue I tend to kitesurf in conditions suitable for learning flat water freestyle type moves. I have sailed in a few different locations (Overcombe, WSM, Outer Hebrides) this year, and still love windsurfing so I'm 'keeping up the stoke'. The main achievement though just has to be the Forward Loop... I've now landed and sailed away from about 3, but have gone for quite a few and just love the feeling. I'm always looking out for 25 knot SW winds to try them. My jumping and gybing seems much improved as well.

quote:
Others
Aims for 2004.. Get married, gets drains for the house and get out on the water as much as possible!! And this year try to earn some money from website design.

I'm now a married man, we have no drains still and I've been out on the water a fair bit... I have a couple of web-design projects on the go, but still need more work!.. Theres still a few months to sort these things out in 2004!

How is everyone else getting on... Geordieboy, I haven't seen you back in Borth yet... And somehow Nick, I don't think you've managed to double forwards yet!

And how about the newer members here, what are your aims??

Al.

IainO
Pro

Member #: 153
Posts 93

Mood: Closer to the sea now

posted on 19-8-2004 at 08:01 Reply With Quote
Boringly straight forward my aim is a forward loop. I've spent 10 years of getting fired up talking about it in the pub and bottling out on the water so this year has got to be the year.

Other aims are to complete a Vulcan/Spock instead of falling in backwards - maybe I should treat myself to a freestyle board

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 19-8-2004 at 13:14 Reply With Quote
double forwards!.......a little way off those at the moment.

Getting out more.....not really.

Carve gybes + other - yep making progress here.

My spectacular hi-speed wipeouts are coming on a treat though!

Cheers

Nick

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 19-8-2004 at 18:19 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IainO
Boringly straight forward my aim is a forward loop. I've spent 10 years of getting fired up talking about it in the pub and bottling out on the water so this year has got to be the year.

Other aims are to complete a Vulcan/Spock instead of falling in backwards - maybe I should treat myself to a freestyle board

Vulcans seem much scarier to me... Too much potential for ankle snappage in my opinion!!!

I did loads of forward attempts today, until I spectacularly stuck the tip of the mast into the sand on one end-over-end attempt and snapped it!

Al.

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 19-8-2004 at 18:32 Reply With Quote

Kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 19-8-2004 at 18:33 Reply With Quote
i,ll sum it up in one word for the windsurfing LOOP .

other than that a sub 3hr London Marathon .

Kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
IainO
Pro

Member #: 153
Posts 93

Mood: Closer to the sea now

posted on 19-8-2004 at 20:13 Reply With Quote
Guess I've got past the bottle factor with Vulcans, it helped having one of the instructors at Margarita following me - made sure I didn't bottle out
Also had some very sudden stops where I didn't rotate with no injuries.

Just need to get over that hurdle with forward loops - strange thing is I've got round a 20ft backloop (caught on video thats how I know how high) but I've not tried them for years either

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy