Author: Subject: Aims this years...
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 11-3-2003 at 07:41 Reply With Quote
Aims this years...

Right, seeing as lots of people managed to get out on the water this weekend, (some for the first time since last autumn), I thought it would be a good time to start thinking about our aims for the coming year.... If you've told everyone about it here, then theres no getting away with it and wimping out, you've GOT TO go for it!!.

So, here are mine:

Surfing
Just get out a little bit more and try to recover some of my skills.

kitesurfing
Just get out there. At the moment I use my crappy kite and directional board as excuses for not going out, but even getting out on them will be good practise, even if it won't make for a really good session.

Windsurfing
If I get the chance, get more comfortable in big SW conditions. I can sail OK in them really, I'm just not relaxed enough and therefore don't stay out as long as I should.
Other than that, if on flatter water, learn to duck gybe and maybe go for some simple freestyle moves (not ones that will hurt though!). So if anyone sees me blasting back and forth with a normal carve gybe at either end, sort me out and make me duck gybe!!

Others
Get out as much as possible, have fun and manage to earn some money in between sessions to build a house!!

So, come on, tell us your aims so that you have to GO FOR IT!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Olly
Hot shot

Member #: 134
Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 11-3-2003 at 09:03 Reply With Quote
After careful and serious thought my aims are as follows:

Windsurfing - do it on the sea more!!!

I want to be planing out of my gybes, I suspose this will happen earlier if I just concentrated a little harder and thought about what I was doing.

I feel it is about time I cracked on with a smaller board. At present my fav board is 124L, whilst the other board I have is 103L, but no matter when I use it I don't feel as confident as when on the bigger board. Therefore another aim is to become more comfortable on smaller boards.

I know this may not seem like a pretty good aim but I want some new kit, a smaller board, mast, boom, and two sails. This however is probably going to be the hardest to achieve due to the fact that as a poor masters student I can only dream about what money looks like let alone actually see any!!

So their are my three aims, to make them realistic I suspose I better make them time based, so, I would therefore like to spend next winter sailing on the sea, confidently and with some appropriate kit.

Olly

hiett

Member #: 167
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 11-3-2003 at 09:22 Reply With Quote
Aims

Its got to be the forward loop baby. I've got a mad year lined up including Fiji, NZ, WA and the Canaries. Its now or never. It reminds me of a poem by Kipling, he dos make exceedingly good cakes...

If you can sail - and not make sails your master;
If you can loop - and not make loops your aim;
If you can meet with torn sails and broken fins
And treat those two imposters just the same;

If you can fill the unforgiving van
With spanking new kit worth a ton -
Yours is the Beach and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a windsurfer my son...

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 11-3-2003 at 11:44 Reply With Quote
Similar to Olly (and with less prose than Hiett) my windsurfing goals for the year are fairly simple stuff really;

1) Get comfortable with a smaller board (this may mean buying one instead of borrowing my friends F2 Ride)
2) Chop Hop (got to start getting some air somehow!)
3) Sail comfortably on the real sea
4) Carve Gybe (well, no early intermediattes list would be complete without it!)

In the longer term I also have a windsurfing related goal that has been in mind since I started sailing:
- Sail to the IOW and back (got to be cheaper than using the ferry all the time!)

There are many others that involve shed loads of cash, time or both....so I thought I would stick to the realistic ones.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 11-3-2003 at 14:45 Reply With Quote
My aims are much the same as seanbo's

1: Comfortable on 112lt board including turning round and coming back the way I came.
2: Planning Carve gybes
3: Sail in waves(only little ones) and not get munched
4: Get airbourne in a controled manor (and land safely)

I know a couple of people that have sailed to IOW from lepe not sure if Im ready for that though maybe next year or the year after.

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 11-3-2003 at 17:10 Reply With Quote
Surfing
Actually get out and get paddle fit and get that jump up sorted

Windsurfing
Improve my sailing in waves, improve my early planning, try and get the mrs to get some pics of me airbourne and wave riding instead of just blasting up and down. Try and land a table top.....

Sailing
get out regularly and have a go at sailing a single handed dingey with an asymetric kite

Other
Lose 5 to 10kg
Give wakeboarding a good go on holiday
Actually get out and make some use of my mountain bike

[Edited on 11-3-2003 by paul]

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 11-3-2003 at 18:01 Reply With Quote
It seems I'm not alone -

I've got to work on my Carve Gybe and Waterstart, which I will do in the Estuary and on the smaller board. (I'm another one that has got a little bit too comfortable on my nice big board:blush

And I will spend a lot more time in the waves, no doubt Al will take it upon himslef to drag me out there, but I accept that I've been having too much fun blasting and I've got to challange myself again.

dazzamuffin
Hot shot

Member #: 46
Posts 54

Mood: stoked

posted on 13-3-2003 at 17:45 Reply With Quote
to forward loop before i can carve gybe

i know it sounds daft but it might be the case

i can front side wave sail, back side, quick tack, jump like a mad man

but cant carve gybe it must be the most difficult move to do or is just me ???

so im going for the full monty FORWARD LOOP. gybing to difficult. i can get round but plaining out its like a magical force that i cant tap into.

kiting BIG BIG BIG AIR nothing else. and not to much swimming back to shore when the kite dumps its self in the water.

mountain boarding just to have fun.

last of all

another trip to brandon bay where big waves ARE big waves.

i guess thats it

it will be nice to see how many goals every one achieves by the end of the year

GO FOR IT EVERY ONE

tripping the white fantastic

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 24-4-2003 at 19:40 Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd have a quick look to see what I wrote in here and if I'm on track!!!

quote:
Originally posted by justal

Surfing

Hmmm. haven't suceeded on that one yet.

quote:

kitesurfing
Just get out there. At the moment I use my crappy kite and directional board as excuses for not going out, but even getting out on them will be good practise, even if it won't make for a really good session.

Well I did get out yesterday without making any excuses and mananged a few (fairly) controlled runs back and forth acros the estuary.

quote:

Windsurfing
If I get the chance, get more comfortable in big SW conditions. I can sail OK in them really, I'm just not relaxed enough and therefore don't stay out as long as I should.
Other than that, if on flatter water, learn to duck gybe and maybe go for some simple freestyle moves (not ones that will hurt though!). So if anyone sees me blasting back and forth with a normal carve gybe at either end, sort me out and make me duck gybe!!

Well, the SW's haven't showed up yet. I have tried a few carving 360's though and enjoyed going for them. My duck-gybing hasn't improved yet, but I've only made 3 or 4 attempts. If you consider just how many attempts I had to make at carve-gybing (or any of the more basic things such as waterstarting that I can now do) , then its likely to take me a while to succeed. 20 attempts just isn't going to get me there... 200 and I might start getting a feel for it, 2000 and I might pull one off!!

I'm still enjoying every minute of my time on the water though and thats the main thing.

Al.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 25-4-2003 at 06:22 Reply With Quote

quote:

1: Comfortable on 112lt board including turning round and coming back the way I came.

I've managed this one at Borth over easter even the turning round part a few gybes and a couple of tacks without falling in, then the winds went mental and it was survial tactics for the next two days

quote:

2: Planning Carve gybes

You must be joking at the moment a dry gybe is a good gybe

quote:

3: Sail in waves(only little ones) and not get munched

Not had any waves to have a go in (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

quote:

Had some very hairy airboure sorties at Borth its just that I was trying to keep the board on the water and there was no control whats so ever. Didn't have any big crashed so I guess they was a bit safe

I guess I need lots more practice

befs

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 25-4-2003 at 07:08 Reply With Quote

quote:

Had some very hairy airboure sorties at Borth its just that I was trying to keep the board on the water and there was no control whats so ever. Didn't have any big crashed so I guess they was a bit safe

I guess I need lots more practice

Befs.

BEFS.... I saw you airborne (just) a couple of times last weekend... Unfortunately, I have to say that is was more than obvious that it wasn't intentional and you're weren't exactly in control!.. But I won't tell anyone!

The practice is the fun part!.

Al.

geordieboy
Beach Bum

Member #: 115
Posts 19

Mood: chilling @ work

posted on 25-4-2003 at 18:29 Reply With Quote
Aims

My aims have gotta be to quit my job which i stupidly started yesterday!!................

Live off my overdraft for another year........

Then declare bankruptcy and escape to sunnier climates

oh and finally to to get back to borth for a much needed and missed session

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 19-6-2003 at 06:00 Reply With Quote
quote:
Windsurfing

Well, I was out in big SW conditions for about 4 hours yesterday. I launched from the Golf Course Car Park, Borth, sailed around there for a while and then worked my way upwind for three miles to the Lifeboat Station which took about 12 big long tacks. I sailed around there for a bit, playing in the waves before heading all the way back downwind to the Golf Course Car Park... I'd say that I felt pretty comfortable in the conditions, especially as I was out all on my own.

So, thats one of my aims achieved... I think I'll give myself a gold star!!

Al.

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 19-6-2003 at 09:55 Reply With Quote
it's a bit sad when you start awarding gold stars to yourself.

but well done anyway.

So have a gold star

[Edited on 19-6-2003 by Dave]

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 21-10-2003 at 16:39 Reply With Quote
6 month progress check

6 month progress check

Well I have been checking my progress and I don’t seem to be getting very far, but my excuse is two busted ribs during the summer and a newborn infant.

Hopefully the autumn gales will kick in soon and let me get some TOW to progress.

I know BEFS has made some Gybes, but how is everyone else doing against their goals?

Is there wind on the way??

Jonah
Grommet

Member #: 39
Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 22-10-2003 at 22:01 Reply With Quote
Aims- The ultimate aim is to loop. Hadn't sailed on the sea in ages till I came to Borth and even though it took a while to adjust ,and my boartd was too big for the conditions, had a thoroughly enjoyable time.

so near future aim is to come to Borth more, sail more , then the loop will come.

Al, have attempted a few vulcans and they don't hurt. Think that if there are 1 or 2 people trying stuff then feedback is a good way of finding solutions to problems and also giving u the balls to go for it if the feedback is on the beach.

Will try to get down in the next few weeks. Anyone sail midweek?

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 23-10-2003 at 06:05 Reply With Quote
Jonah.... I sail midweek if theres wind, I can't promise anything, as it all depends on work commitments but I'm usually ouy.

Steve is around next week as well as he has a week off work and will be here if its windy..... Tuesday is looking good at the moment.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 11-1-2004 at 22:00 Reply With Quote
Just been reminded about this post in the chat room, and as its the beginning of a new year thought it was time to rekindle the thread, see how we all got on with our aims and see what our aims for 2004 are...

quote:
Surfing

Hmm, didn't manage that one really, I think I'm gradually lossing my surfing skills. So the aims for 2004 are the same.

quote:
kitesurfing

Managed to fulfill this aim. now have a twin tip board and a crappy old kite, but I can now kite-surf to an OK standard...get out through the waves, go upwind, downwind, turn around and get back to where I started from. Can also do jumps whenever I want. although the landings aren't that clean yet.
Aims for 2004 are to get a more modern kite, clean up my landings, get a bit more speed up and to learn to go toeside.

quote:
Windsurfing

Not bad, big SW's are OK, although I did have a big swim after destroying my kit last time I was out in one. Freestyle stuff still isn't happening though. Still can't duck gybe, have tried numerous carving 360's without success, but my carve gybing is much better and I generally feel more in control in mad conditions.
Aims for 2004 are to sail in a few different locations and keep up the stoke!

quote:
Others
Get out as much as possible, have fun and manage to earn some money in between sessions to build a house!!

Yeah, I reckon I've done that. The house is built and I managed quite a few sessions last year.
Aims for 2004.. Get married, gets drains for the house and get out on the water as much as possible!! And this year try to earn some money from website design.

Al.

Stevievee
Hot shot

Member #: 119
Posts 48

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2004 at 06:59 Reply With Quote
I think my aim for 2004 will have to be to get out on the water at least once... Either that or just sell all my kit.

Steve.

bphiett
Beach Bum

Member #: 442
Posts 25

Mood:

posted on 14-1-2004 at 12:21 Reply With Quote
2004 is the year of the forward loop for me, 12 months in WA should suffice.

I remember a conversation in solent sailboards one time when I was informed that kitesurfing is a sport for failed windsurfers. Whats a failed windsurfer I asked. One that can't loop was the reply. Nuff said

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy