Author: Subject: kite ban
leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 634
Posts 613

Mood: Chillin' ya bloodclot mahn

posted on 14-6-2005 at 17:19 Reply With Quote
Hey Dudes & Shela's,

Thanks Al for all the info..we should all now police Ynyslas BIG time and ensure no wankers are doing anything stupid and lets all setup near da bunker!

LEN10 LOOPING..

www.sskiteboarding.com

carlessd
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 928
Posts 224

Mood: new toys

posted on 14-6-2005 at 18:24 Reply With Quote
we need signs, what can you do if someone tells you to p*ss off, only a couple of week ago some idiot told willf a 3 metre kite+no safety wasn't dangerous in 30notts+ an told him to f**k off, this guy nearly took out 3 family's, what can u do about people like that.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-6-2005 at 18:24 Reply With Quote
The reason signs can't go up is something to do with the fact that the beach itself and the pebble bank are under different ownership, and the car park is owned by the Golf Club.... Making it difficult to find anywhere to actually put the signs...

Apparently at the council meeting concerns were raised about the fact that on busy weekends there are accessibility issues for other beach users especially with respect to buggiers and other land-based kiters taking over when the tide is relatviely high. No one wanted to ban it outright as many of the locals actually like seeing the kites in the sky during the winter months, but they did want to know how they could ensure that everyone else could safely access the beach at all times.

They were however more concerned about what to do about the 'dogging'!!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 14-6-2005 at 18:27 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leonardo
Hey Dudes & Shela's,

Thanks Al for all the info..we should all now police Ynyslas BIG time and ensure no wankers are doing anything stupid and lets all setup near da bunker!

Yep.... If we all only set up, and only kite from beyond the bunker and not within the top 20 metres or so of the beach then we should be OK.... If we all do it, then the newcomers and 'idiots' alike will all follow suit anyway... If not we set Col onto them!

Al.

leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 613

posted on 14-6-2005 at 18:50 Reply With Quote
Fully let's start doing it now!!!!!!

LEN10 LOOPING..

www.sskiteboarding.com

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 14-6-2005 at 19:14 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justal

Apparently at the council meeting concerns were raised

They were however more concerned about what to do about the 'dogging'!!!

Al.

sounds good ban the kites!
set up a dogging area !
Does Stan Colleymore do any dogging that way ?

dogging more reliable as dont need wind
he,he ,he

Kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
andy B
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1118
Posts 209

Mood: ah ripped again

posted on 14-6-2005 at 19:59 Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,
just a thought, could we have some flyers printed with suggested rules for kiteing/a polite notice to inform the public of launching/ landing areas.

Cost could be met by the reguler users who value the beach as a place to kite.

We could ask Phil in the golf course car park/ Wardens in Estury car park to hand them out with parking permits.

I know Phil si not always there but at least it would be a start to get the ball rolling and show we do care about everyones enjoyment.

and yes Pluto a club is a good idea more peeps BIGGER voice (obviously this is just my opinion).

andy B
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1118
Posts 209

Mood: ah ripped again

posted on 14-6-2005 at 20:01 Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,
just a thought, could we have some flyers printed with suggested rules for kiteing/a polite notice to inform the public of launching/ landing areas.

Cost could be met by the reguler users who value the beach as a place to kite.

We could ask Phil in the golf course car park/ Wardens in Estury car park to hand them out with parking permits.

I know Phil si not always there but at least it would be a start to get the ball rolling and show we do care about everyones enjoyment.

and yes Pluto a club is a good idea more peeps BIGGER voice (obviously this is just my opinion).

Kitefish
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 945
Posts 299

Mood:

posted on 14-6-2005 at 22:00 Reply With Quote
Andy has a good point, this was discussed at the weekend. We could easily come up with a poster for our vehicles and flyers to hand out, this would have a polite notice to all kite users with suggested precautions. These could also have info regards this web site that new persons to kiting can get help.

I fear that this summer the beach will be have many people who can walk into your local seaside shop buy 2 metres of Chinese power kite with no idea what danger they can put themselves and other in- this is where a flyer could save the ban or an injury.

We as responsible beach users must act NOW.

Is it time for a club?

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 15-6-2005 at 06:28 Reply With Quote
Get a few signs sorted and you dont need flyers. Probably cheaper any way. The problem with warning the public about kiting areas, safe areas, etc, is that if some thing happens to joe public in a so called safe area, then liability is on the head of the person who is responsible for the signs!! Be carefull with the wording!!

Although I dont see the need for a club, I think if people want a club, form one, just because every body doesnt want it, doesnt stop the ones that do forming one.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

thrape
Beach Bum

Member #: 740
Posts 15

Mood:

posted on 15-6-2005 at 13:49 Reply With Quote
ive been coming to borth for years windsurfing,speedsailing,buggying and about to try to get into kitesurfing , my line of thinking is i dont let my enjoyment be some one elses missery and if that means packing up till the next day so be it.
just wish people would do the same
so i can still use the beach for years to come...

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 27-6-2005 at 05:43 Reply With Quote
I won't name any names, but I was out with some locals on Saturday evening and they were complaining that they had to get out of the water where they were playing at Ynyslas last weekend as they were being 'terrorised' by a kite-surfer trying to kitesurf in the shallows. They said they first moved down the beach a little but he was walking a few hundreds yards up the beach and ten going on a downwinder for quite a way effectively taking up the whole area of beach and they were concerned for their safety so had to get out of the water.

This is exactly the sort of thing we need to avoid.

Al.

leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 613

posted on 27-6-2005 at 06:59 Reply With Quote
Hey Al-DUde!! Who was this?? Name and shame him dude!! Let the Bok at him..i'll punish him
mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 27-6-2005 at 10:51 Reply With Quote
got to be me then; wasnt playing in the shallows though, but going well out to sea to find the wind and sometimes coming in well down wind when i didnt find it. striaght in and walking right up the beach again, paying particular attention to who or what was in the sea.
accentuates the point that no matter how much in control we know we are, every day beach peeps dont know and can get worried and concerned.
another rule then ;
on light days dont allow our selves to drift too far downwind bringing us into the bathing area.

good to see the boys from tiree are back agian ; maybe we can get a bit of life back into the forums again. what are these things called body boards anyway?

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 28-6-2005 at 18:20 Reply With Quote
Isn't that part of the beach Red flagged anyway?????????? Red flag I think means no swimming. the people Neil and I was comming in between didn't look very scared to me, in fact most wanted to chat about the kites. I didn't see any near misses or anyone complaining

Later

Dunk

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 29-6-2005 at 05:29 Reply With Quote
The point is Dunk, you might not have thought they looked scared, but it is what they think that counts... It only takes one or two to complain to the council and thats the end of kiting here... If they were intimidated by you then they wouldn't have complained there and then, but waited until they next saw me and moaned at me about it.

Neil... I thought we had already established we weren't to kite to the South of the bunker... no 'new' rules there! We just need to be completely over the top with giving every other beach users as much room as possible so that they hardly even know we are there. On the day in question there wasn't enough wind, so going on downwinders in the shallows amongst the swimmers isn't going to help anyone... And walking back up the beach with your kite over everyone is just as bad.... Surfing was the better option that day!

Luckily for us, the days when there is enough wind for a decent kitesurf means that most other beach-users are huddled behind the groynes to keep out of the wind so therearen't too many people for us to get in the way of.. It is on those light wind, sunny weekends that we need to be extra careful, and if it is busy just not go out.

Al.

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 29-6-2005 at 08:55 Reply With Quote
yes you are correct Al ;
dont know about the surfing though, gave that up when i left the warm indian ocean in durban.
red flags i think are there to advise against going in the water, you cant take away peoples right of choice ,unless you live in china or similar, so we have no grounds to plead innocent on this occasion Dunk!
another lesson learnt i hope then.
and another example of " age attention deficit dissorder!"

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 29-6-2005 at 14:27 Reply With Quote
You are right about the red flags... You can't stop people going in the water they are just advisory... We often used to close the beach when I worked at Croyde and put up the red flags, then the silly buggers that ignored our advice and went in anyway expected us to go in and rescue them!!!.. We did of course as we couldn't leave them to drown, but they certainly got an earful (and on occassion and 'accidently' snapped surfboard) in the process!

Al.

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy