Author: Subject: kite ban
chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 79
Posts 402

Mood: i thought the winter/spring wa

posted on 12-6-2005 at 11:21 Reply With Quote
kite ban

just hadd a chat with a neighbour this morning who is on the council. there is talk of a kite ban on ynyslas beach.

to be honest as someone who uses the beach on a daily basis i actualy think this may be a good idea! yet again people who should know better are bugging on the beach in marginal winds next to the car park, at high tide. i think these people rely on the use of this beach to make some of their living.

i'm in favour of a ban because at least in the summer i can stroll around walking the dog in peace. so maybe its up to certain groups of people who rely on the beach to sort this out?

i know many people will be opposed to the ban and the wonderful vibe amongst the kite surfers will be lost. but i feel the beach should be returned to the holiday makers in the summer.

maybe we should all start wind surfing(thought you might like that Al).

chris

carlessd
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 928
Posts 224

Mood: new toys

posted on 12-6-2005 at 13:19 Reply With Quote
gutted i just hope they can differenciate between land kiting and kitesurfing. would the ban also include dyfi? or just ynslas?
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 915
Posts 238

Mood: landlocked and sick of it.

posted on 12-6-2005 at 17:08 Reply With Quote
oh

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 915
Posts 238

Mood: landlocked and sick of it.

posted on 12-6-2005 at 17:10 Reply With Quote
well it was inevitable i guess.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andy B
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1118
Posts 209

Mood: ah ripped again

posted on 12-6-2005 at 18:56 Reply With Quote
bad news Chris, as someone who uses the beach most weekends i will be so disapointed. As a( kiteing unit) of( sensible kiters)we could perhaps have a meeting to discuss the issues of beach use for everyone. maybe a designated area could be an option. come on guys lets at least try to sort this out.
col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 405
Posts 1022

Mood: who needs wind anyway

posted on 12-6-2005 at 19:23 Reply With Quote
who were they chris name and shame and perhaps we can have a friendly chat!!!!!

do you mean the estuary car park or the borth bit by the golf course carpark..

To Infirmary and beyond..

justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 12-6-2005 at 19:38 Reply With Quote
I tend to agree with Chris I'm afriad. Kitesurfing is fine when those doing it are responsible and think of the other beach users. Unfortunately, especially during the summer when the beach is at it's busiest, you get a few stupid people who think they own the place and will ruin it for everyone. As a new mum I have to think twice before taking my baby for a walk on the beach if the kites are out....it's not worht the risk of him being ploughed down by a buggier or a kite landing on him by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

It would be nice to see some restrictions at least, eg ban it during the summer months or at certain times of the day, even keep it within a certain part of the beach if it could be policed!

Sorry guys, I'm with the locals on this one!

chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 402

posted on 12-6-2005 at 20:02 Reply With Quote
col, it will be easy for you to have a word because they are your employers!

they should have been out tonite. low tide and wind.

anna, i agree going to the beach now makes me cringe knowing that i kite but just trying to walk along the beach is a pain.

will keep you all up dated.

Will at least tiree is o.k, for now.

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 13-6-2005 at 09:53 Reply With Quote
oh dear, is there a chance of us working together with the council and making specific launch/ land areas for us to use well away from most of the holiday makers.

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 13-6-2005 at 11:40 Reply With Quote
this could be disastrous!

Could we also not make the council aware of the benefits it brings to the community? We must spend some money whilst we are there, if only on car parking fees.
Are there any other benefits we bring??

leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 634
Posts 613

Mood: Chillin' ya bloodclot mahn

posted on 13-6-2005 at 11:47 Reply With Quote
This sux big time..why is it that some of us really try our best to practice kiting safely and then a bunch of rude wankers come along and mess things up??

I agree with Neil, can we not agree with the council a designated area for kitesurfing past the WW2 bunker? The council need to be made aware of the difference betw kitesurfing and land kiting..i think someone like Shem/Al or Chris should be a single contact for the council..

Hope this all sorts itself out..

LEN10 LOOPING..

www.sskiteboarding.com

justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 13-6-2005 at 12:08 Reply With Quote
I know it's not fair guys and you lot are the sensible ones. If there was some way that kiters and other beach users would know where to expect the kites then that would be a start. trouble is with the people who come to kite not very often and don't know the 'rules'......If they could ban the kite buggiers it would be a good start. Once the kites are on the water there's no trouble and to be honest I'd rather have the kiters than the jet skiers and horse buggies any day.

Hope a reasonable solution can be reached for everyone's sake.

col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Posts 1022

posted on 13-6-2005 at 13:53 Reply With Quote
apparantly there powerkiteshop lot were there but there was also a lot of people in powerkiteshop t'shirts, which were given away with an offer some time ago..

There gutted if its them, and will work with whoever to resolve the issue

chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 402

posted on 13-6-2005 at 15:44 Reply With Quote
there is not one person to blame. i was pointing out what i saw were people from the powerkite shop trying to kite at high tide in a nw wind. not hte greatest advert. the beach was empty but one family did turn up and then decide to walk the other way having to climb over the groynes!!

all the people who kite on the beach are last onthe "pecking order" for beach use. there are many people who spend there anual holiday here and have done so for many years. now its like trying to relax with kids and dogs as if you are on a race track. think about it would you mind if kids were racing around the park on BMX's where your children play or were you where relaxing in the sun??? at the very least read the tide times and turn up in the morning or evening.

Pluto
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 598
Posts 281

Mood:

posted on 13-6-2005 at 21:39 Reply With Quote
Mmmm. Time for a Club anyone?

We all new it was a possiblity.... Chris and Anna have a very valid point, but there are sites a lot worse off. It just needs organising and policing. How's that to be done?

www.kitesurfteacher.co.uk
IKO/BKSA Instructor

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 13-6-2005 at 22:30 Reply With Quote
perhaps if the club thing got off the ground we could do some sort of membership card thingy whereby members agree on launching landing areas etc... and that there are signs up saying that only members of this club are allowed to kite with this authority - or is that what a club would mean anyway?

Who would be willing to represent us to the council?

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-6-2005 at 06:44 Reply With Quote
From what I've heard from council members, they aren't opposed to kitesurfers or kite-users of any description, but they do want something done so that they can still safely use the beach when it is busy.
As Chris said at the weekend there were people out buggying and taking up the whole beach at high tide when there was only a few yards of sand available... This obviously isn't acceptable as it means no one else can use the beach to walk their dogs, play with their kids etc.... Under such situations even an area restriction wouldn't work as it would still prevent people walking along the whole length of the beach.... Unless of course the area restriction only permitted kiting along a certain stretch of beach AND only seaward of the tips of the longest groynes.... Basically... No kites within 25 metres of the pebble bank and only within a certain stretch of beach North of the bunker. At least then other people, dogs etc could have a free run all along the top of the beach.

As Chris says, kiters are the new kids on the block and therefore at the bottom of the pecking order... In order to earn the respect of other beach-users and be allowed to continue using it all kiters (with NO EXCEPTIONS) need to be completely over the top with their respect for other beach users.

Buy some tide-timetables... Only go to the beach when the tide is out (and even better not during the middle of the day when the beach is at its busiest), stay to the North of the bunker and don't 'take-over' the beach.

Al.
P.S. Apparently erecting signs of any description is not an option.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

MarkyP
Pro

Member #: 1281
Posts 90

Mood: ?.... ?......indecisive

posted on 14-6-2005 at 07:18 Reply With Quote
If putting up signs is not an option then the "local" kiters must be extra vigalent and cooperative in making people aware of safe or suggested areas to kite.

I totally agree that the public should come first and a beach should not be like a race track. Just look at Pendine. However, with no signage or notification it's going to be very hard to stop people just turning up and boarding / buggying where they like!

Perhaps a seasonal ban would be the answer April through September or something similar? I guess this wouldn't help the local dog walkers etc. though?

I think the time is to act now, BEFORE this becomes a really major problem.

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 14-6-2005 at 13:45 Reply With Quote
I definetly think its best to put your own restrictions up, before a ban ( possibly year round even), happens.

Why cant signs be put up Al? Even simple signs like, "No kiting" next to the last big groyne, then a sign at the top end of the beach with "Kite area". At least its some thing for people to work around that way, rather than a free for all, where no body quite knows whats happening.

I was on the beach at Aberdyfi this weekend, and a lot of new land kiters and water kiters turned up. Im really pleased to say that every single one of them asked me where and when to kite. All being well, well have our signs up on the beach here by the end of the week.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Posts 1022

posted on 14-6-2005 at 14:37 Reply With Quote
dont forget not everyone reads this forum, its possibly only 10 of us who regulary use this site for the kite side of things...

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy