Author: Subject: Artificial Reef at Borth
dazzamuffin
Hot shot

Member #: 46
Posts 54

Mood: stoked

posted on 15-9-2002 at 18:38 Reply With Quote
false reef at borth

i was chatting to a local at borth and he was saying that they were going to build a false reef at borth

does any one know any more about it

and what are the implications of the reef to our wind surfing

will it be like maui with there reefs or is it more for the still water jet skiers?

all the best dazzamuffin

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 15-9-2002 at 21:07 Reply With Quote
Hi Darren,
They are 'thinking' about it and there have been chats and a few public meetings about the sheme (there was one this week), but nothing is definate yet.

The local surfers wanted one thinking it would improve the conditions, so Borth Surf Club was pretty much set up to campaign for the artificial reefs to be built. They got in contact with kerry Black who runs a company that designs and builds artificial reefs and after visiting Borth (and going for a surf here) he decided that Borth and it surf could benefit from such a scheme...But then he would say that as he wants to get the contract to build them.

Obviously the council wouldn't spend however many millions it costs to build these things just to improve the surf conditions, so the surf club and other campaigners for the reefs are now looking at it from a sea defences point of view and saying that the reefs would help reduce coastal erosion.
The environment Agency don't really sea coastal erosion as the primary threat to Borth, but are more worried about the risks of flooding and would rather sea money being spent on flood defences than coastal erosion defences... The debate continues and I haven't heard what happened at this weeks meeting yet.

As far as windsurfing goes...its likely that the reefs (if they were built) would be built further south along the beach than where we normally windsurf so there would be little direct effect. Of course, further South there would be a lagoon formed which would have flat water for about 100-200 metres and then a 'reef' where the waves would break. Pretty good for windsurfing then, but the reefs would probably be exposed and dry at low tide (not quite so good). The surf would be improved, but you still need swell to make the waves good for surfing and no matter how much you alter the sea floor topography, without the groundswell you won't get 'world class' waves. As far as I am concerned it would improve the quality of the waves, but not the consistency.

I also think that everyone involved needs to think about the implications of such a scheme.. The reefs 'basically' work by placing sandbags in the desired location and the sandbags then baffle sediment moving along the coast by longshore drift so building up an artificial reef that eventually becomes maintained by natural processes. This has to affect the sediment dynamics of the bay and sand build up in one location has to lead to another area becoming impoverished. With quite a few so called 'fragile' ecosystems in the area (Ynslas Dunes, Aberdovey Estuary, Borth Bog etc.) there needs to be a proper unbiased Environmental Impact Assessment carried out...

Anyone who regularly visits Borth has to know that the sediment dynamics of the coast are complicated and unpredictable. This year has proved this point, as in many areas sand has been removed to expose the fossil forest in areas of the beach where it hasn't been seen before.

I'm all for the building of artificial reefs if it will improve the surfing and/or windsurfing conditions, but there would have to be proof of significant improvements to outweigh the possible negative effects... Don't forget, one of those negatives effects would also be increased publicity and more 'tourists' on the beach...We don't want it to get too busy!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 16-9-2002 at 19:29 Reply With Quote
I'm sure nothing like the building of an artificial reef will happen. This is something that costs millions. And who would be willing to invest that? What return would there be for a potential investor? Better surfing conditions for a few individuals? Come on guys, you can't be serious about that!

Joe

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 16-9-2002 at 19:54 Reply With Quote
You're right Joe, they aren't gonna spend millions just for the surfers, but they are likely to do something as far as sea defences etc. go at Borth...The latest indications seem to suggest that they are more likely to build a big concrete breakwater type structure that won't appeal at all to the surfers and windsurfers, but would appeal to the Jet skiers...

The councilers and other decision makers also seem to think that Borth could then have a marina and it would attract well-off sailing types.

Of course such a structure costs more than artificial reefs, and nothing has been decided yet... I'll try to find out more about what happened at last Friday's meeting.

Al.

Ben
Grommet

Member #: 56
Posts 8

Mood: aroused

posted on 17-9-2002 at 09:21 Reply With Quote
The figures thrown around at the meeting were, I believe, 10 million for the rock wall (this is what the council want), as opposed to three million for the reef. There are a few options knocking about, but the money is already in place and they are going to do something in the next five years. What would you guys rather have, a jet ski park or the reef?
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 17-9-2002 at 14:51 Reply With Quote
I know...I know.... How about a reef made out of jet skiers!! Thats what i'd like to see.

Al.

dazzamuffin
Hot shot

Posts 54

posted on 17-9-2002 at 22:47 Reply With Quote
thank you for the explaination al
looks like its gonna be jet ski heaven
my wind surf gear is up for sale now its time to become a jet ski dude (NOT)

well theres still rosniger to go to if they do mess things up

later daz

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 18-9-2002 at 06:49 Reply With Quote
Rhosneigr might be OK for you, but I'm about to buy/build a house in Borth!!!

don't think it will affect the Golf Course Car park area though whatever they do.

Al.

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 18-9-2002 at 12:19 Reply With Quote
what is it with artifical reefs ? ? first newquay, then bournmouth now borth ? ?

sounds to be like consultants cashing in, or maybe I'm just a big sceptic ? ?

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

dazzamuffin
Hot shot

Posts 54

posted on 18-9-2002 at 13:31 Reply With Quote
there must be a big eu grant for them

al builds a house in borth great some where to stay every one

if they build a sea wall then it will stop the swells hitting the beach? surely this would affect the golf course area as well?

dazzamuffin
Hot shot

Posts 54

posted on 18-9-2002 at 13:31 Reply With Quote
there must be a big eu grant for them

al builds a house in borth great some where to stay every one

if they build a sea wall then it will stop the swells hitting the beach? surely this would affect the golf course area as well?

justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 18-9-2002 at 14:19 Reply With Quote
Just before Al invites everyone to stay I think I should remind him that as he's getting a beach room to keep all his toys in, then as long as he can find room for any windsuring pals in there as well they can stay....no sand in my new house!
paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 18-9-2002 at 15:38 Reply With Quote
but sand is so much nicer than carpet.....

cheaper too, just sweep out Al's van once a week

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 18-9-2002 at 17:29 Reply With Quote
First up... Doesn't everyone stay here anyway, even though the house isn't on the beach!!

Darren said:
quote:

I'm sure they won't be building the wall along the whole 3 miles of Borth!!! That would cost more than 10 million!... As far as I assumed it would be more of a breakwater a couple of hundred yards offshore from the lifeboat station... So if thats where it is it won't affect the Golf Course Car park area of the beach at all.

Ben...do you know what the actual plan is as far as the wall goes? I've kind of envisaged a breakwater parallel to the beach that forms a small sort of 'harbour' behind it???

Sand for carpets??...perfect, except for one small problem...the cat would then use the WHOLE of the floor as a litter tray!

Al.

justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 19-9-2002 at 07:56 Reply With Quote
I think you've forgotten Al, if we build the house we can't afford carpets so maybe we'll have to go with the sand option!
Ben
Grommet

Member #: 56
Posts 8

Mood: aroused

posted on 19-9-2002 at 08:39 Reply With Quote
You're right Al, as far as I understand it that's exactly what they're proposing to do. It might end up looking like the rock walls down at Aberarth, which look pretty bloody awful. I think they're planning to extend it to the end of the houses. Another key issue is the disruption to the village. The rock wall would obviously cause a lot of disruption, whereas the reef would be delivered by sea (giant hinged boat). It'll be interesting to see what eventually happens. Personally I think it would be a shame to see the break at the lifeboat station go.
dazzamuffin
Hot shot

Posts 54

posted on 19-9-2002 at 19:41 Reply With Quote
i thought when you said a sea wall that it would go out at right angles to the beach.

so are they looking at making borth in to a little fishing village with its little harbour.

hope not

much prefer the reef idea.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 14-2-2003 at 09:55 Reply With Quote
Looks as though momentum is gaining for the reef idea.

Kerry Black (the guy who runs the artificial surf-reef building company) was in Borth again last night and had a meeting with the local surfers in the Friendship.

I couldn't make the meeting myself, but will try to find out what was said and let you know here. If anyone was there and can give us the details first hand it would be appreciated.

I spoke to Richard last night who has helped organise the meetings with Kerry Black and he siad they were going to discuss what sort of take off and what sort of wave we wanted!!! Cool hey!

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 14-2-2003 at 16:51 Reply With Quote
OK...I've managed to get some sketchy information about the Artificial Surf Reef at Borth.

Kerry Black the CEO of ASR LTD. was in Borth last night and has been commisioned to carry out a feasibilty study of the idea. He has 6 months to carry out this study, but hopefully we'll start seeing the results sometime in May. Kerry has been having meetings all day today with the local authorities and other decision making bodies in the area as part of this study and should soon be carrying out detailed coastal sediment dynamic and environmental impact assessment studies.

Obviously, I know nothing about the priorities of the decision makers on this. I'd like to think that they will be looking at the cost/benefits of all psosible coastal management schemes from all angles, including actual costs, longevity of any scheme, effectiveness, environmental and ecological implications, financial benefits to the area such as increased tourism, effects on the local community etc etc... And of course just how good a wave they can create!!

So, hopefully, if Kerry Black can prove that the reef idea will provide a long-lasting, effective answer to coastal protection in Borth, whilst having little impact on the local community both during and after its construction. And that it is the most cost effective solution and will have the least effect on the local and regional environments and ecosystems...AND provide positive benefits such as increased revenue for local businesses and an improved wave. Then it will get the go ahead...But of course, its a long and convoluted road that such major planning decisions take.

I'll keep you posted when I know more.

For now.. Heres the link for ASR - Kerry Black's company

And I haven't been able to find much pertinent info from the local County Council yet, but I have found this document outlining the Shoreline Management Plan It seems a little out of date to me though as they only have 'No economic alternatives' listed for any Possible Alternate Policies....

If anyone can find any more up to date info from Ceredigion Council or any details of proposed plans then please post a link to them here.

Al.

amos

Member #: 144
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 20-2-2003 at 19:39 Reply With Quote
reefs

I was at the meeting in the Friendship. The idea is to put a large sandbag as a sea defence/reef just offshore just up from the RNLI slip. This way hopefully the natural reefs and cliff wont be affected nor the bit under the cliff which we need when its howling and us surfers need a bit of shelter. The wave created may well be 100m long! Sounds excellent but when it came to discuss the type of wave, people wanted more, much more than they could handle ...spitting, sick, thick lipped throwing waves ..oh yes we're all up for that ...then we wake up and realise only a few can even surf the peak at Trap!!!

<<  1    2    3  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy