Author: Subject: beginner :(
edi
Grommet

Member #: 492
Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 2-1-2004 at 21:56 Reply With Quote
beginner :(

you probably get these sort of posts all the time, so im going to give you another one so...im a beginner, ive done loads of lessons so i could be more of an "amatrue" but i need you pros to tell me what im guna need to buy so i can do kiting with a land boad (i got one of them tho so no worries), can you recommend different kites and what ill need with them, im looking for a kite which is about 7/8 metres and water relaunchable so i can try surfing on my mates board. maybe some of you could sell me some of your stuff?
thanks for your help (which i hope youre going to give me)
edi

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 2-1-2004 at 22:16 Reply With Quote
Hi Edi....

Don't worry about posting questions like this, thats what these forums are for!!

I'll leave it up to some of the people who are a little more up on the newer kites to make recommendations, but in an ideal world you would really need different kites for land boarding and kite-surfing. For use on a mountain-board you really want a medium sized foil, something in the 3-5m range would be ideal I should imagine. Whereas for use on the water you want a water-relaunchable kite. Most people use 'Leading Edge Inflatable' (LEI) kites as first introduced by Wipika. There are now loads to choose from and the size best suited to you will depend on the conditions you are most likely to go out in and your weight... Something around 10-12m is an 'average' size if you are only going to have one.... You'll soon want more though to cover a wider wind range.

Although it is possible to use foils on the water or LEI's on the land, it isn't ideal.... Using (non-water-relaunchable) foils on the water has its obvious drawbacks. If you crash it you have a long swim home!

Using an LEI on a mountainboard isn't ideal either. For a start they are more hassle to set up etc, and they are also not as responsive. On top of this they don't really stand up too well to being crashed on land too often, and they tend to have too much constant pull, which isn't ideal on a mountain board.

Unless you are going to definately be kite-surfing and that is the ultimate goal, then I'd recommend going for a 3-5m foil to start with. They are MUCH cheaper than LEI's as well, and even if you do end up getting an LEI for kite-surfing later, its always good to have a foil or two in the kite-bag.

Hope that helps... I'm sure some of the others more knowledgable on the makes and models will give you some ideas of what to look for (Adam?, Shem? etc...)

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

edi
Grommet

Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 5-1-2004 at 19:36 Reply With Quote
so if im about 12/13 stone what kinda make/size would you recomend, i learnt on a nasa foil or something i think, ill go with a foil neways and get a water relaunchable some other time.
chars

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 5-1-2004 at 20:45 Reply With Quote
Well, seeing as no one else has repsonded, I recommend something like a Flexifoil Blade, anything between 3 and 5m in size really, as that sort of size has a decent amount of power for mt-boarding with, but are also responsive enough to be fun. They also give plenty of lift for kite-jumping etc.

There are loads of other makes out there though, Flexifoil is the most well known, but take a look through various online shops / classifieds and if you see something you like, get back to us here and we'll let you know if its any good or not.

Keep away from those NASA wings though...Although quite a laugh, they are crap as far as kite-traction activities go, and pretty crap just to fly... Unpredictable beasts at the beast of times!!!

You'll then have to decide if you want to fly it with handles and four lines or on a bar with 2 lines. Handles and four lines gives you more control and makes launching and landing easier. 2 lines and a bar is more like a kite-surfing set-up so it could be a good idea as it will get you used to flying a kite from a bar.... Many good foils (including Flexifoils Blade) allow you to use them either way.

Al.

edi
Grommet

Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 5-1-2004 at 22:14 Reply With Quote
what about the 5.5 bullet?
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 5-1-2004 at 22:31 Reply With Quote
I haven't flown a bullet myself, but as far as I know that should fit the bill perfectly.

Al.

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 6-1-2004 at 09:40 Reply With Quote
I had a stab at a 5.5 bullet a few months ago, its a lovely kite!
Problem was that the guy who owned it hadn't set it up properly so the brake lines were next to useless.
What resulted was me being thrown about, finding it very difficult indeed to land the bleedin thing!
Its certainly got alot of tug!

edi
Grommet

Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 6-1-2004 at 18:34 Reply With Quote
so how much cash would i be looking at spending at buying a second hand bullit 4.5 or 5.5? with the funky little bag and strings and stuff? indeed, does anyone have one they want to sell me? or does anyone know anyone?
shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 6-1-2004 at 20:47 Reply With Quote
A great kite for mountain boarding is the "wind wing" sky foil, its one of the first purpose built mountain board and snow kites, it can be flown on handles and four lines or a bar and 2 lines, theyve also got a huge wind range, unlike some foils, Ive got a 3.3meter and have used the 7.7 meter, and theyre awesome kites, as an all rounder Id recomend the 4.4. Not sure how much they are but under £300 quid. If your interested in my 3.3 meter one second hand, (2 months old), get in touch. 01654791216, or e-mail.

All the best
Shem.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

edi
Grommet

Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 6-1-2004 at 21:25 Reply With Quote
so, seeing as i intend to move onto kite surfing eventually, would that wipika above be ok cause justim said that the average size is about 10-12 meters, wouol that be ok to learn on onoce i have mastered it on land and then have a board, ive never flown an inflatable kite that big before you see, but i suppose you have to aspire to perspire-what you rekon?
edi
Grommet

Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 6-1-2004 at 21:26 Reply With Quote
so, seeing as i intend to move onto kite surfing eventually, would that wipika above be ok cause justim said that the average size is about 10-12 meters, wouol that be ok to learn on onoce i have mastered it on land and then have a board, ive never flown an inflatable kite that big before you see, but i suppose you have to aspire to perspire-what you rekon?
edi
Grommet

Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 6-1-2004 at 21:26 Reply With Quote
oops it went twice, soz
edi

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 6-1-2004 at 21:56 Reply With Quote
Once youve masterd kite flying on a small power kite the principle is the same on larger kites, just with more power! What you need to learn is how to control and use the POWER safely!!

If your interested in either kite, Ill give you a basic lesson on safety and flying, thrown in on the deal.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

edi
Grommet

Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 6-1-2004 at 22:09 Reply With Quote
where abouts are you from, yeah, i emailed you(can you reply), i am interested but i gotta sort out more funds - i got 150 starin at my face, just need to blag some more, keep ini touch
shem

Posts 2204

posted on 6-1-2004 at 22:23 Reply With Quote
Im between Aberdyfi and Aberystwyth, trying to find yor message, Ill get back to you when I find it, all the best

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

mark rich

Member #: 421
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 7-1-2004 at 10:57 Reply With Quote
Flexifoil Blade is much better with mountain board.
Bullet is designed for buggying and doesn't give as much lift for jumps.
I use 4.9 up to 12/15 kts then 3.0 up to 20
As you're 85kg you could start with 4.0 then either go for 6.6 or get water relaunchable LEI.
I weigh 72kg and Kite & Surf around Porthcawl

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 14-1-2004 at 12:21 Reply With Quote
Kite advice

Hi Edi,

Can agree with what the other guys have said so far.

To start with, I would suggest getting a 3-4m foil like a Bullet or Blade, a 4.9 Blade at a push, depending on your weight. Remember the bigger the kite the more power so you won't be able to fly it in a such a great windrange, small kites will still fly in light winds but you will have to put a bigger kite away earlier.

Theres really no one kite solution for everything you want to do. An LEI won't be any good for using on land really as crash it and it may well damage it plus they are more difficult to handle.

You could look at getting a sealed foil, there are lots around like Flysurfers, Peter Lynn ARCs Guerillas and Waterfoils and others but these tend to be more expensive to buy initially, you may want to look at one of those though?

I know Waterfoils are generally cheap used, Al used to have one and it pulled like a Ba****d but don't think it had depower, and was sometimes a pain to fill with air to launch, can't really remeber?

Could be an option though, think they make a 3.6 and 5.7.

5.5 and 7m Bullets aren't out yet as far as I know and as already said a Blade be it mk 1,2 or 3 will be better for boarding and general flying/jumping as they have more lift, bullets better for buggying.

Maybe the best idea is to try to get a go on a load of kites (where are you based, there are sure to be local kiters who would let you try out some kites if you ask nicely) and see what you like, then maybe look for a new or used kite and see how you get on with your ATB, then progress to kitesurfing later?

Just read ALs message again and I've said the same thing so we are either both right or way off!

Keep an eye on the classifieds here and on the flexifoil forum http://www.flexifoil.com to find a used kite if that is what you decide on.

Hope this helps,

Adam

edi
Grommet

Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 18-1-2004 at 20:56 Reply With Quote
you got mail shem
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 18-1-2004 at 21:06 Reply With Quote
Mail him on

flywithshem@hotmail.com

That should work.

Al.

edi
Grommet

Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 19-1-2004 at 22:02 Reply With Quote
cheers mate but i had him on that one-and again mr shem has some more mail from me

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy