Author: Subject: NEW YEAR SURF
zebedee23
Hot shot

Member #: 488
Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 30-12-2003 at 09:44 Reply With Quote
NEW YEAR SURF

Looks like conditions could be pretty wild and blown out this year - not what you need as you nurse your head and try to avoid ice cream headaches (not that the SW water is that cold yet this year). Am thinking of Coney Beach as the winds are likely to have a fair bit of north in them and there should be some swell there - any other spots in south wales likely to be working in these conditions? Is anyone else planning to get out?
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 30-12-2003 at 15:48 Reply With Quote
Hi Zebedee...

If theres a decent swell, then most places along the S. Wales coast should work with Northerly winds. Coney beach is probably one of your best bets though, or maybe Ogmore... As usual for the S. Wales coast though, there has to be a decent swell in the first place.

If you were a windsurfer, then it looks as though Rest Bay should be good on New Years Day.... perfect cross-shore conditions and hopefully some swell!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

zebedee23
Hot shot

Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 30-12-2003 at 15:57 Reply With Quote
I am a windsurfer - of sorts! But I have left my kit up north in cumbria and there is something a bit special about a new years day surf so I'll battle through whatever comes in regardless!

Might be interested to have a look at Ogmore - thanks.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 30-12-2003 at 16:02 Reply With Quote
I know what you mean.... I'll be surfing on new Years Day as well if theres any surf... But, if not I'll be windsurfing, or maybe kitesurfing.... I supose I could do all three, just to start the year off the way I mean to continue!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

zebedee23
Hot shot

Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 2-1-2004 at 10:15 Reply With Quote
Went to rest bay, porthcawl but it was blown out. went to coney beach, but it was a millpond, the harbour wall was giving rather too much protection. We could see a bit of spray coming off the point though so drove round to the other side of it. THere were some beautiful, clean right handers coming off the point and peeling along - 2-3 foot. We walked out along the rocks and I left my board with my mate and went into the surf to see what the bottom was like, as it was so close to the point. Damn, huge rocks everywhere, some only inches below the waterline. So we went out through it, to the other side, hoping to catch the shoulder of some of the larger waves, but the longer we were out there, obviously the more we thought 'sod it' and went back towards the rocks. Had a great day, only caught a few rides but nice to be out right next to (if not always on!) some amazing waves. Very focussing as well, because we really did not want to be falling off!

After an hour or so the wind picked up and the point dropped off a bit, but the beach break picked up so we cruised over and had a good mess about in that too.

A good session to start the year...

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy