Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Whats everyone up to over Xmas??
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 23-12-2003 at 19:47 Reply With Quote
Whats everyone up to over Xmas??

Things are looking good wind-wise for the Xmas break, and the temperatures are back into double figures, so I was just wondering what everyone was up to (other than stuffing their faces full of turkey and alcohol).

I've had a couple of phone calls today from people coming to Borth for a pre-xmas session (kite-surfing) on Christmas Eve. Adam is making his long-awaited return to Borth as well. I don't think he's brought his windsurfing kit with him though, but has his kites.

Shem has been dying to get out on the water as well, so there should be a few of us about tomorrow. I shall be out either windsurfing if its really windy, or kitesurfing if its not too windy... Knowing my luck lately it'll be perfect 5.7m weather... Too much for my kite, not enough for my 5m and my 5.7m is winging its way back to Gun for repair.

What's everyone else up to? Are you gonna get out on the water over the Xmas or are you stuck listening to the Queens speech with the relatives??

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Ian
Hot shot

Member #: 29
Posts 64

Mood: Chilled as hell

posted on 23-12-2003 at 21:00 Reply With Quote
Well, I shall be spending an enjoyable day in work starting at 6am and finishing sometime around midnight. Over here it's "Just another Day" but if your around the tele and the news is on you might just catch sight of us over in Basrah!!!!
But I wish 1 and all a Merry Christmas & A Drunken New Year

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 23-12-2003 at 21:24 Reply With Quote
Im busy at relatives xmas day but free boxing day (forcast looks ok too). I have to work monday to wednesday next week though

Happy Christmas all

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 24-12-2003 at 00:28 Reply With Quote
Boxing day is looking VERY good here on the South Coast. High Tide is during the day tho, so it looks like I'll be heading to Camber. Anyone else?

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 24-12-2003 at 08:02 Reply With Quote
Boxing day is looking promising for South Coast. I'm seeing relatives in poole so will def take the boards with me. Depending on direction I might be at either Branksome, Sandbanks or Harbour.

Im in East London on Christmas Day and just cant seem to get a sail in due ti times of the xmas dinner - did look at Southend or Camber but its not going to happen now.

Ajdesq - I was thinking of Camber for Christmas day but no joy due to timings. Whats it like at high tide? - ive never sailed there. Is low water just to far to walk.

I hope everyone has a good one - looks like santa has brought us all the best present - WIND and mild tempretures

If your down in Poole I drive a blue vw polo and sail mainly Gaastra with Goya PM74 - come say hello if you see me. I think ive read a few decriptions of other FoN sailors cars and will look out for a silver estate and a white van with F2 sticker on front - anyone else down that way?

All the best

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 24-12-2003 at 09:04 Reply With Quote
I'm doing the "relative thing" in newcastle over christmas.It would be rude if I didn't slide off and catch a few waves on the east coast.
Theres promise of a polar depression coming down that should give some nice swell (that'll be warm then!!!)
OOoh I love the north sea in December...brrrrrrrrrrr.

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 24-12-2003 at 18:13 Reply With Quote
Christmas with family for me and wouldn't have it any other way ... unless you could guarantee wind and sun within a two hour drive.... as if!

Anyway hope everyone has a great Xmas and New year and look forward to meeting you all again at the next FON meet.

I'm carrying over a few days holiday, and if you throw in a few sickies I'll hopefully be a regular visitor to Borth next year.

Cheers

Nick

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 25-12-2003 at 13:33 Reply With Quote
Well, its going OK so far!! Among other things, Santa brought me vouchers for Gun Sails, so I can get myself a new harness. Othe 'forces-of-nature related pressies were 'The History of Surf Culture' book and a 'tide clock'.

I then went out for a lovely windsurf session... I'll fill in the details in the diary in a mo. Now I can sit down to a nice roast turkey dinner and some alcohol!!!

Hope everyone else is having a good Christmas... How are things in Basrah Ian...quiet I hope.

Al.

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 25-12-2003 at 14:04 Reply With Quote
Merry Chrimbo everyone
Just had dinner bloated now..wish id had a sail as well....to burn off some dinner.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 25-12-2003 at 20:54 Reply With Quote
Its still looking good for tomorrow, so maybe you'll get chance to burn off that turkey and the mince pies then.

Al.

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 26-12-2003 at 16:37 Reply With Quote
I admit, I wimped out. My Mystery is being repaired, my smallest remaining is the Axxis. The 'good' guys were whingeing that it was messy, and the wind was dead onshore. And I feel incredibly unfit. So I didn't.

Still the new Toybox remains loaded up (pix online soon) so fingers crossed for Sun or Mon - looks like a skive is on the cards

Shaka - It's not that low tide is just too far at Camber, but it's about the only place I know of on the S coast this side of Calshot that remains sailable at high tide without the usual dump.

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 26-12-2003 at 16:50 Reply With Quote
Boxing Day wsn't as good as expected....

The winds stayed pretty southerly most of the day, so were coming across the land a little and weren't as strong as forecast. It was also absolutely pouring with rain and I just didn't feel like rigging up in that only to be out in marginal conditions.

I waited until around 1pm, but there was no improvement so I decided to go surfing instead (less rigging and the rain doesn't hurt when surfing like it does when windsurfiing).

the surf wasn't great, but I still had a good time. Obviously whislt I was out there the wind started swinging around to the West, and is now as I'm writing this WNW and 25 knots or more.... typical, just as it gets dark!!

It looks as though there might be some wind around tomorrow morning though, but its going to drop off rapidly throughout the day, so I'll have to try to make an early start. Will it just be me and Shem out there again??

Al.

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 27-12-2003 at 01:06 Reply With Quote
Yip, boxing day was a tad disapointing, at least it left me room for 6 pints, a bottle of red and a few vodkas!! A true "forces of booze" Day, me thinks.

Hopefully the 27th will turn up the goods. Ive got a lesson booked in at Aberdyfi, but Im hopeing for an hour in the water first.

If you fancy it come over this side Al, the tide is pretty perfect for the lagoon all day.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 27-12-2003 at 08:02 Reply With Quote
May do Shem... probably go windsurfing on this side first as its looking pretty windy out there, then go kiting this arfternoon.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 27-12-2003 at 16:29 Reply With Quote
Changed my mind about the windsurfing again as it was just too damn miserable out there. Did go kite-surfing in the afternoon though with Neil and Graham.

I could see a kite out around Graveyards somewhere. It looked to be a red/orangey colour. Was that you Shem??

Al.

Ian
Hot shot

Member #: 29
Posts 64

Mood: Chilled as hell

posted on 29-12-2003 at 03:40 Reply With Quote
Hi Al, things are very quiet over here at the mo. Christmas was pretty boring working as usual but a very slow day, had a typical xmas dinner, eating it was a different matter, had TV crews filming everywhere, luckly I didn't appear on TV, well not that i saw anyway. The good news is that I'm now half way through my sentence.
Have a good New Year Everyone.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy