Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: will i ever stand up!!!!
shorty
Grommet

Member #: 470
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 11-12-2003 at 23:51 Reply With Quote
will i ever stand up!!!!

hi,

i've recently started surfing (if you can call it that!!!!) i'm having trouble getting up in one move (probably doesn't help that i'm 31 and unfit) anyone got any tips on what i can do to get me up and surfing on my board? i love the water and will keep on trying but need a few pointers?

cheers

sam

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
nido
Grommet

Member #: 158
Posts 11

Mood: kalokairini

posted on 11-12-2003 at 23:57 Reply With Quote
I m also searching the forum so as to find any threads for.... begginers!
A thread with instructions etc.
Could anyone direct me or give any necesary instructions for a begginer?

iF iT ain'T fun... iT ain'T worThy!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 12-12-2003 at 05:38 Reply With Quote
Practice, Practice, Pratrice.... Thats the best bit of advice. Just keep getting out in the water and going for it. It can, and usually does, take ages to learn to surf.

Although one of the 'simplest' Forces-of-Nature sports as there just you the board and the wave and all you have to do is stand on the board and turn it around a little, it is definately the most difficult to learn.

One of the reasons for this is that during a typical beginners surf session, you are only actually up and surfing for a very small percentage of the time, so for each hour in the water you are only actually geting a couple of minutes 'surfing'. Having the right equipment (fairly large, stable board) and the right conditions (2 foot mellow surf) will help, as will making sure you are fit and can paddle well..... Go to your local pool and swim swim swim!!!... It'll make all the difference to your fitness and improve your surfing for those days that you can actually get out on the water.

Thers nothing wrong with practising the opo up to your feet on your living room floor either... Just lie on the floor in the paddling position and practise popping up to your feet. When you do so, don't get to your knees, just get straight to your feet, and keep yoursefl crouched and low to keep your Centre-of-Gravity low. I wouldn't recomend wearing your wetsuit when practising in the living room though!

It'll soon become second nature to get to your surfing position without getting to your knees, so when you're out on the water it'll all come together.

Keep at it, its not meant to be easy and it won't be long before its second nature and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.... Its Easy!!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

nido
Grommet

Member #: 158
Posts 11

Mood: kalokairini

posted on 12-12-2003 at 15:34 Reply With Quote
Thank you for your instructions, justal!
I m going to the living room right now....

iF iT ain'T fun... iT ain'T worThy!

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 13-12-2003 at 19:10 Reply With Quote
yeah, getting the right board is real important, if you just got a slim 6 foot nothing job which looks great but is unstable as hell you aint got a prayer. Something big, wide and floaty is easiest.
Also it is harder to get to your feet when riding broken waves, when you get better and start riding unbroken waves, i.e. proper surfing, you will find that the board is a lot more stable as you get to your feet.
And remember timing is all important, paddle like mad as the wave comes behind you and jump to your feet when you feel the board pick up speed, or you will miss the wave

shorty
Grommet

Member #: 470
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 14-12-2003 at 20:10 Reply With Quote
thanks

hi,

thanks for the tips will start jumping up and down in the lounge. will also try and get a bit more swimming in. hopefully by this time next year i'll have improved i can't get any worse ha ha ha

sam

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
merrynmoron
Grommet

Member #: 475
Posts 7

Mood:

posted on 19-12-2003 at 23:39 Reply With Quote
sounds dumb but when i got my 1st board a whopping 7ft 6 !!!!! (i was only 4ft 3 at the time) i was taught to jump up on to a board on top of a bean bag sounds strange but its great pratice an ordinary bit of wood will do not yer best surfboard!!!!! oh yeh and make sure ya got enough room around ya my parents didnt like the idea of the coffee table bein destroyed as i landed on it although they have forgive me only just......................... after 16 years and movin out to me own place ha ha ha

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy