Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: Jammed Mast Extension, Advice?
IainO
Pro

Member #: 153
Posts 93

Mood: Closer to the sea now

posted on 11-12-2003 at 23:22 Reply With Quote
Jammed Mast Extension, Advice?

I've managed to get a mast extension well and truly stuck in a mast and everything I've tried has come to nothing.

It's a Tushingham 400 RDM with a RADZ skinny mast extension. It got stuck after a sailing session in Skegness (very coarse sand) and I stupidly left it a few weeks before trying to remove it.

Tried the boom clamped to the mast and managed to twist the mast extension (extremely difficult) but could not manage to get them apart. Soaked the whole lot in WD40 and tried again but still no luck.

Tried lots of other stuff and have even gone as far as anchoring the mast extension to a fixed point, placing a brace round the mast extension collar and hammering the brace to shift the mast; all to no avail.

The mast has only been used a few times so if anybody has any ideas I would be most grateful.

Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 12-12-2003 at 08:40 Reply With Quote
The only thing i can suggest is to put a screw driver through the extension holes (if possible, unfornatnatley i dont know that extension) and use the screw driver as a handle and get someone to brace the mast.

Your not trying to pull the extension out but twist it inside the mast so it grinds the sand down which should allow you to pull the extension out. Good luck!

shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 12-12-2003 at 09:31 Reply With Quote
Yep - the boom on and screw driver through the extension technique (and a bunch of yer biggest mates) ususally works for me. If you don't have a hole going through the extension, get yerself a decent drill and make one - I've done it to both my extensions, and although I was initially concerned about making them weaker I've not had any problems, and they have had a lot of hammering over the years.

Don't have a cow man!

IainO
Pro

Posts 93

posted on 12-12-2003 at 13:35 Reply With Quote
Tried that one already. It's stuck so fast that no one could hold the mast tight enough.

I ended up with a boom clamp fixed as tight as possible round the mast ferrule (for maximum torque) and a screw driver through the extension with the boom arm over the handle of the screw driver for maximum leverage. I fixed the boom clamp to a lampost and was only just able to turn the mast extension with the boomarm/screwdriver lever. It did work loose but only rotationally, it wouldn't budge any further out of the mast.

Just as an aside the mast is 100% carbon and the extension is alloy, does this cause some sort of dissimilar material corrosion when mixed with salt water and sand?

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 12-12-2003 at 15:01 Reply With Quote
Lots of people on each section and twist. This is the best way to shift a stuck mast, problem with the extension there may not be enough room to hold on to it. Could try attaching the mast + extension to your board and then twisting the mast (again few people) but don't blame me if you break your UJ!
Ian
Hot shot

Member #: 29
Posts 64

Mood: Chilled as hell

posted on 13-12-2003 at 03:23 Reply With Quote
The other thing to try is flushing water down the end of the mast whilst gently tapping the mast extension with a hammer or using the screwdriver through the holes. I found that works may take some time but its worked in the end.
shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 17-12-2003 at 09:02 Reply With Quote
Alternatively you could run over it in the car and claim a new one on yer insurance, but that's a bit dodgy innit? Couldn't possibly recommend it....
In fact - would it be covered on yer insurance anyway, without actually having to take to it in your car?

Don't have a cow man!

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 17-12-2003 at 11:55 Reply With Quote
How about someone else running over it? not your insurance then

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

IainO
Pro

Posts 93

posted on 17-12-2003 at 13:22 Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I've just put in a claim for ditching my rig on Saturday after getting trashed in the waves at Bigbury. That was my other skinny mast so I'm back to using normal ones now.

Seems a waste of the mast when its in perfectly good condition apart from the now broken extension stuck fast in it. I'll try the flushing water Ian mentioned but I'm not sure if there's a bung in the mast.

zebedee23
Hot shot

Member #: 488
Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 30-12-2003 at 09:37 Reply With Quote
I got my mast jammed together on christmas eve - sprayed wd40 into it and trickled some 3 in 1 around it, did the same next day, got 2 people to hold the skinny end and I held the widest bottom part for maximum grip and it came apart - still took a fair bit of effort but the WD40 had clearly penetrated all the way down. To he who waits....

Terrible session though - was out at Allonby and it was a nice strong consistent wind but as it was my first time out since about August and the sea temp took a bit of getting used to - all I managed to do was 2 planing runs and a whole bunch of effort spent waterstarting. A session like that is always worthwile though as it proves how often you need to go to maintain a standard, never mind improve!

IainO
Pro

Posts 93

posted on 3-2-2004 at 22:00 Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions, I've tried them all to no avail. I even went as far as taking the bung out of the ferrule, sliding in some old boom extension poles (they just fit) then, winding in a black and decker work bench to support the bottom of the mast, I tried hammering the extension out. It's stuck that fast that the work bench split and the extension did not budge

So I've now come to accept that the mast is set for my 4.7. Struggled to get the boom ends out of the mast. Took it out for a tentative trial on Sunday (praying that all the hammering hasn't caused any point impact delamination) and it seems ok after loads of big jumps

vdubs
Grommet

Member #: 806
Posts 11

Mood:

posted on 4-6-2004 at 11:53 Reply With Quote
Not tried this but maybe cool the mast extension (Ice, or plummers freezer in a spray can) and then poor hot/boiling water over the mast then give it loads of welly. Careful with the boiling water tho again not sure what effect that has on carbon!?

Might be worth a try

Keith

www.vdubs.freeuk.com

vdubs@freeuk.com

perk

Member #: 1117
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 27-11-2004 at 17:07 Reply With Quote
jammed mast extension

just found this message board whilst looking for some advice on how to get my radz extension out of my tushingham 370 rdm mast! pretty similar problem! dunno if there is some sort of carbon/alloy (or tushy/radz?!) corrosion thing going on, but i got it stuck once before and when i managed to get it out it the extension covered in black carbon residue.

brute force worked that time but this time nothing is gonna shift this puppy. problem is i have sold the sail i set it on and now it is pretty much useless to me.

oh well c'est la vie i guess.

Tim
Hot shot

Member #: 238
Posts 39

Mood: Not enough time to do it all.

posted on 7-3-2005 at 12:32 Reply With Quote
I had this problem once with a C45. Carelessly I got sand in the extension top and forgot to clear it properly before assembly. I tried all the above WD40 soaking, push up and down etc. In the end I gave in and used brute force.

I clamped the mast-foot into a solid vice in my garage. Then I used a wrap of rags and a 2' monkey wrench (plumbers stilson- the type with deep pipe gripping serrations) around the mast. It turned and came off after a lot of sweat and effort. The trick was to turn and pull at the same time. I used the wrench on mast over the area where the foot was so as to avoid crush damage. It was risky and heavy handed but what else to do? It's fine now and no cracks either......

It was an adaptation of the old bike seat pin stuck in the seat tube of my race bike from years ago. Then I wrote off the seatpin and kept the frame!

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 7-3-2005 at 16:32 Reply With Quote
one more tip , WD40 is useless at freeing salt corroded parts
but a better alternative is that and available cheap is vinegar .
trust me also works a treat on old coins , ha,ha,

Kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 7-3-2005 at 18:31 Reply With Quote
oh dear Kelvin has just beaten me to the scieantific appraoch, now if you had asked neil!
yep a good soak in vinegar followed by cooling the whole lot outside when really cold the expanding the outer section with hot water or even hairdryer then a bit of brute force. unfortunately aluminiun corodes in salt water and forms a thick layer of oxide which will bond filling the tiny fractures in the carbon.
one thing is assured though; you are less likely to do it again!

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

zebedee23
Hot shot

Member #: 488
Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 8-3-2005 at 09:26 Reply With Quote
but surely this corrosion can't occur in as short a time as one session on the water?

Quite often the problem is grit gets in the join, the downhaul locks everything together and you can't overcome the friction - thats what happened to mine, had to bring the mast back whole and pointing out of the window and I'm sure wd40 helped to penetrate past the grit and get everything nice and slidy

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 8-3-2005 at 13:39 Reply With Quote
Dude,

Try some washing up liquid down the mast, then the twist 'n' pull, if it doesn't work, it'll smell nice!

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure how much of the collar goes into the mast, but if its only a cm you maybe able to just cut it off around the mast just above the collar. Then with the extention out just cut the stuck bit off the collar. Most masts don't change diameter over that much.

Don't blame me if it does though!

[Edited on 8-3-2005 by dunk]

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

Hans@BW
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 680
Posts 150

Mood: Need some waves..... :-(

posted on 8-3-2005 at 23:42 Reply With Quote
IainO

How much of the extension is inside the mast?

Hans.

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 9-3-2005 at 10:05 Reply With Quote
Hans,

It won't be the whole extension that's stuck, just the collar.

You need to cut around the mast carefully, not through the extension just above the collar. The whole thing should come out with the bit of mast still stuck on the collar. Then cut lenght ways on the bit of mast to remove it from the collar.

It does depend on how much of the collar goes into the mast, as if you have to take too much of to remove the extesion the collar may not fit back in the mast.

I've hacked the bottom off and made a 430 into a 400 in the past and its till worked ( not a skinny though)

Dunk

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy