Author: Subject: Wimps!!!
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 5-12-2003 at 19:14 Reply With Quote
Wimps!!!

I have to admit that Shem and I wimped out this morning. We got to the beach and found a nice 15 knots NE wind, but it was pretty cold. I started to get my kite out, but a 20 knot gust came through which would be way too much for my kite. Shem hadn't even started to get any kit out and didn't look like he wanted to either.

In the end we changed our minds and went back for a cup of tea instead.... Talk about wimping out, at least I had two excuses... too cold and too windy, Shem (with a selection of smaller kites) only had the too cold excuse which is pretty poor!!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 7-12-2003 at 18:32 Reply With Quote
Wimp MkII

Wes accused me of being a wimp last week, good job he was not watching me this week as he would have laughed his socks off!

Had today planned by 6pm yesterday evening. Windsurfing AM as the wind looked good, followed by a walk with friends PM. Alex (bless you my son!) had a Cr4p night and at 6AM I was tired and cold so decided not to sail.

At 2:15 drove to meet friends at Branksome and as we came round the corner above Poole harbour some brave soul was carving a beautiful turn in the middle of the harbour. The sun was shining, the sky was blue and the water was almost empty of people and boats. He left a fantastic white wake and as we watched it was obvious he was well powered up on a mid sized sail.

Cursed and swore and promised myself I would not wimp out again. Got to Branksome and managed about 800M of walking before retiring (shivering) for coffee and remonstrating that sailing was a bad idea in such cold weather.

When will this lack of decent sailing end

Is there wind on the way??

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 8-12-2003 at 12:13 Reply With Quote
Where as I decided on the Friday to come down first thing Sat morning, then went to the pub for the evening.........

Woke up at 6:45, van was already packed, felt so rough, and hated the thought of easterlies so much I went back to bed until 10:00!

I reckon that makes me a bigger wimp for this weekend

Might only get 1 more sail this side of Xmas - 2 many parties, 2 many hangovers! Hoping that this Sunday blows its socks off as I have to visit the inlaw in Southampton..........

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 8-12-2003 at 12:59 Reply With Quote
My problem is that Im still kiting without boots or gloves, as I find them uncomfortable for kiting, Still wimping out I know, but you try the estuary in 20 knot ne wind in december. with Ice on the roads!!!!!!
markh
Hot shot

Member #: 42
Posts 56

Mood:

posted on 8-12-2003 at 13:20 Reply With Quote
Ach, you should have been out there!

Had a good if rather short sail both Saturday and Sunday. Bit offshore (ENE) on Sat so headed over to Pagham where a couple of guys were pulling off willy skippers and aerial gybes nicely. (failed any tricks myself but did attempt about 5 duck gybes). Then more Easterly on Sunday where I got 60-90 minutes out at Hayling on the 5.7. Nice swell coming in so a bit of lazy wave-riding practice as well.

Stevievee
Hot shot

Member #: 119
Posts 48

Mood:

posted on 9-12-2003 at 06:56 Reply With Quote
I have to say I don't blame you all for being wimps.

Although I am impressed that some people have still been going out. I had expected diary entries to all but dry up, but theres still a steady trickle.

I expected a few entries from Al still, but his madness seems to have rubbed off on a few other.

SV

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 9-12-2003 at 06:58 Reply With Quote
If it weren't for the fact that its dark most of the time and I need to work when its light then I would have been out a little more. Once again its blowin' a hoolie out there this morning, but its still dark and I have to go to work just as it gets light. (Same as yesterday).

Shame really, because the tide would be perfect in the estuary today as well.

And I'm not mad!!!!... Once you get out there, its fine. Its just the thought of it that puts you off.... Stop thinking and just do it!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 9-12-2003 at 10:50 Reply With Quote
Another wimp here, just lashing respect on all those who go out in E's and NE's! For me it HAS to be daylight, it HAS to be low tide (S coast), I have to be off work, it HAS to come from the S or W and it HAS to be at least 10 degrees. So the windsurf kit is in a mates garage and the snowboard is primed ready for the 1st Alpine trip on 2nd Jan...

Southern softie? Yup, you bet!

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy