SinistaPenguin
Pro

Member #: 359
Posts 122

Mood: Getting less surf than my avat

posted on 9-9-2003 at 12:52 Reply With Quote
Good Day All!

Hi All,

Thought I would do formal introductions as I'm new to FON and am very impressed by it!

Check out my Bio for a little bit about me. Would be good to be in touch with anyone with experience of Surfing in Borth area.

Hopefully I'll make it up for the meet in Oct.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 9-9-2003 at 17:51 Reply With Quote
Hi SinistaPenguin.... Nice name and Avatar!

Good to have you posting here, a shame you were taken away from Aber at such a tender age though!

I have a fair bit of experience surfing here in Borth. My surfing career started about 18 years ago with some family holidays to Croyde, then took off a little once I got a car, and I got fairly good while I worked as a liferguard on the beaches of Croyde, Saunton and Woolacombe. It has however suffered since 1994 when I moved to Aber, as the surf here just isn't as good or as consistent as it is in N. Devon and Cornwal... That isn't to say that it doesn;t have its days, but they are unfortunately few and far between. There are some top quality breaks around though and if you don't mind surfing poor quality waves you can actually get out on quite a few days of the year. I tend to go for quality rather than quantity though so have got back into windsurfing and taken up kite-surfing since living here.

Hopefully we'll see you on October.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Wolfman
Beach Bum

Member #: 334
Posts 24

Mood: Wishing I was in Aber

posted on 9-9-2003 at 19:22 Reply With Quote
Hey Penguin,

Yea as Justal says cool name and pic

Argh parents eh what would we do without them. I was born in South Africa but parents dragged me off back to Hull (North East near the Humber) before I was old enough to surf(sniff boo hoo who knows might have been world champ by now, guess I could also have been chewed up by a great white but hey...).

Was in Aber as a student for 4 years and loved the place. Surfed Borth quite a bit (well sat on my board and stared out to sea anyway) did a bit of windsurfing there as well and had some great whippy ice creams really miss the place.

I've just started kite surfing and it is a blast you should defintely give it a go. Don't think I'm going to be able to make Oct but you never know. Any big reservoirs/lakes in your area? Yes it is a bit of a long way from the sea, but nice countryside!

See you around

Wolfman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
SinistaPenguin
Pro

Member #: 359
Posts 122

Mood: Getting less surf than my avat

posted on 10-9-2003 at 10:18 Reply With Quote
Thanks both!

Now you mention it, there is a big lake near here. I might try kite surfing there if I get the chance (I have visions of just drifting out to sea if I try it on the coast!). How much does a kite/board cost (roughly) or does anywhere hire them out?

Has anyone every bought any kit from e-bay? The other day I saw a trailer with 6 complete beginner windsurf rigs (boards, sails, masts, booms, everything) go for £80! It's madness!

mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 10-9-2003 at 19:09 Reply With Quote
I know there is a centre in Worcester where they have a small "lake" and a field for kite-mountainboarding.
You can take lessons, hire gear or buy stuff from the shop.

Try these links

<http://www.extremekiteshop.com/newspage.htm>
<http://www.hydroextreme.co.uk/powerkiting.htm>

Mexican Bandit

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by mexican bandit]

"Why should I have to WORK for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it! " C&H

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 10-9-2003 at 19:13 Reply With Quote
You can get complete set ups for kite-surfing brand new for about £600 I think... that incudes a fairly small kite, a board and the bar and lines.

Theres quite a bit of second hand kit around at the moment too though, as lots of people have decided to give it a go, scared themselves and are selling all their kit.

If you find anything, post back here and we can tell you if it sounds OK.

BTW.... you don't ever 'drift' anywhere whilst kite-surfing, its more of a violent high-speed dragging affair!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy