Wolfman
Beach Bum

Member #: 334
Posts 24

Mood: Wishing I was in Aber

posted on 31-8-2003 at 18:47 Reply With Quote
Hello Everyone!

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I'd post a hello and introduce myself. I'm wolfman and I spent four wonderful years in Aber, but lost my way a while back and ended up somewhere else. I'm currently living up in Hull in the North East and trying to figure out a way back to Wales. I was back last weekend for a Karate Club Reunion and am still getting withdrawal symptoms from being unable to see the sea or hear the gulls. I'm currently consoling myself by watching the waves from the Tourist Info Web Cam http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/english/webcam/index.htm but its no substitute for the real thing. Anyway great site and I hope to make some more postings soon. Oh and if it involves the ocean I'm interested but basically a surfer, diver, windsurfer,wanabe kite surfer and rock climber and will try more or less anything.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 1-9-2003 at 06:34 Reply With Quote
Hi Wolfman....

You sound like the right kinda guy for this site... (into everything and wishing you were in Aber!!)

Did you used to windsurf while you were here in Aber, or did you just surf?? How long ago were you here?

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Wolfman
Beach Bum

Posts 24

posted on 2-9-2003 at 18:42 Reply With Quote
Hi Al,

Cheers for that, too long!!

1989-1993. Lived in Pantycelyn 89-92 & Cwrt Mawr 93.

Yes did a bit of windsurfing but mainly diving while I was in Aber. Did you know Duncan from Borth much better windsurfer than me from Rhodesia?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 2-9-2003 at 20:07 Reply With Quote
Oooh.... Just before my time, I came here in 94. I don't recall anyone called Duncan. The other local windsurfers other than me who have been around for a while are Peter Hunt (although he doesn't winsurf any more), Derek, Simon and Simon the Policeman! What sort of level are you as far as windsurfing goes, and how are you getting on with the kite-surfing. I actually started kite-surfing years ago, but only started going out more than once in a blue moon last month.. I'm beinning to get the hang of it now though.

Was last weekend the first time you've been back since '93?? A fair bit has changed, but it still has that 'Aberystwyth vibe'.

Was the diving around Aber any good? I used to dive years ago.. I was an instructor whilst in Bristol, but haven't done any for years now. I never really expected it to be that good here.

Al.

zelwaters
Pro

Member #: 351
Posts 98

Mood: desperate for windy warm weath

posted on 3-9-2003 at 13:36 Reply With Quote
hey kite surfing

you should get yourself down to ainsdale southport,
there are lots of kite surfers down there. im sticking to land for the moment coz the sea is far too polluted!
but kiting and surfing are a great combination good luck

Wolfman
Beach Bum

Posts 24

posted on 3-9-2003 at 19:11 Reply With Quote
Hi Al,
No I manage to get back quite a bit as I still have a fair few freinds who are lucky enough to still live in Aber - Paul James (Oss Sensei of the Uni Karate Club) Dan Howells (slaphead) I think everyone in Aber knows Dan, Mark Couch (if you spend any time in the gym you will have met Mark (BIG!! guy) works in the Physics Dept amongst others. Yea it has changed a bit which is a shame, got a bit bigger and its never been quite the same since the road to nowhere started going somewhere and they changed the Central and got rid of Norman Bates (aka Psycho) was it still the Central in 94. But its still essentially the Aber I knew and loved and hey the sea is still the same seem to be a lot more surfers out at the trap though + a few cute wahine's which is good to see

Windsurfing was probably my first foray into "adventure" sports used to really love it, not bad but don't get out much these days since I can't get a roof rack for my current car so not too great either I need an adventure mobile like you have pretty awsome by the way so much gear its like an aladins cave on wheels!! Got into Surfing in Aber and just started Kite Surfing so very much still learning but its a blast. Only actually dived off Aber a few times as vis tends not to be too great but hey its an opportunity to get wet so... Spent quite a bit of time diving up in Dorothea near Tremadog (Erics Cafe?? Climbing, good tea and toast!!) real moody place just for a walk if not a dive. Did you know Jude Thorogood (Judy) she was DO of the Aber Dive club and I'm sure she did Geol stayed to do a PhD so she would have been around in 94.

Hi zelwaters, not been to Southport but heard its supposed to be good for all things Kite related I will have to try and make the trip one of these days

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 3-9-2003 at 19:42 Reply With Quote
What car do you have? I I'm sure there must be a rack out there somewhere!. Ive seen car with an inflatable rack not don't think I would want to go too far with one thought.
Last year saw a Porche boxer with a roof rack! the block was a bit gutted though everyone was lookin at roof rack and not the car..............and he sailed a Bic techno

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 3-9-2003 at 20:23 Reply With Quote
Hmmmm where to start....!!!

I do know Dan Slaps and Mark Couch, I used to do circuits all the time at the gym, and do Superteams each year, and also played waterpolo and swam with the swimming club whilst I was a student, so spent a fair amount of time in and around the Sports Hall. I keep meaning to do a gorge walk with Dan as we've both explored various gorges around here and both know a few secrets that we need to pass onto each other. Last time I saw him he was out kayaking at Ynyslas whilst I was surfing.

I also know Jude Thorogood... Fairly well I suppose as I went out with her and lived with her for a couple of years.

The Central was still the Central and Park Avenue did used to go nowhere when I first came here... At least we have a MacDonalds now!!

I've also spent a bit of time in Tremadog... In Erics Cafe and his camp-site, climbing there and also looking at the rocks quite a lot... Eric's quite a star, did you see him base-jumping off Angel Falls and into some cave somewhere??

Let us know when you'll be in this area next and try to bring some of your toys with you... you should be able to fit your kite-surfing stuff IN the car

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 3-9-2003 at 20:36 Reply With Quote
BTW, there are a few other ex-Aber students registered here too...

Me, justana, Geordieboy, neilco, Adam, Ben, Jay and a few others that I've missed out.... Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many current Aber students registered for some reason. There must be some windsurfing students there at the mo, but I've never seen any of them, so they can't be getting out on the water.

Zelwaters... I've been to Southport. I've flown my kite there but it was pretty miserable and the sea didn't look too inviting.

Al.

Aunt Sally
Hot shot

Member #: 207
Posts 65

Mood:

posted on 4-9-2003 at 06:12 Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd say hello to the 'newbies' Wolfman and zelwaters too.... Not that I've ever been to Aberyswyth or Southport, but just because I'm a friendly kinda gal!

Hello!!!

Sal.

p.s. I haven't worked out what the ***** ******* in justal's post is yet, but I don't think I want whatever it was!!!

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 4-9-2003 at 13:48 Reply With Quote
Yep I saw what it was AL and no Aunt Sally you don't want it

Wolfman
Beach Bum

Posts 24

posted on 5-9-2003 at 19:16 Reply With Quote
Ha ha sorry been a bit busy to reply, yea cheers bad excuse 4 a sailor, I've been looking for one of those inflatable racks but like you say don't know if I'd trust it to last 200 miles on the motorway to Aber, plus the roof lifts out so I can just see the whole lot taking off which would not be fun. I think the car should remain a mystery for now because I'll only get stick over it if I tell you, lets just say it has two seats a very small boot a big engine and I only bought it because this freind I fancied told me she liked it and it didn't even do the trick! Hello Aunt Sally nice to meet you in a virtual way, I can't comment on Southport but you should definitely get yourself to Aber you just don't know what you are missing

Ha ha the windsurfing club always did spend too much time in the pub and not enough on the water thats why you haven't seen them

Hey say hi to Dan for me, I tried getting hold of him when I was back the other week but didn't manage to. If your ever out drinking with him and kipping at his place don't fall asleep without locking your door or you'll wake up with no hair and eye brows!! (No I'm not speaking from personal experience) although he did do me a fine mohekan once

Yea but who wants McD's when you can have a road that doesn't go anywhere! Yea Eric is a cool!

No haven't seen Jude for years, but thought we were pretty good freinds while I was in Aber at least from a diving perspective anyway!

Wow building a house in Ynyslas, how cool you two are just living my dream a house by the beach and a van fool of toys sigh.

Yea cheers I will definitely let you know next time I'm over

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 8-9-2003 at 08:05 Reply With Quote
Must be some sort of hairdressers car wolfman

Do we get a prize for guessing what it is?

My first guess is an MR2

Wolfman
Beach Bum

Posts 24

posted on 8-9-2003 at 20:00 Reply With Quote
Ha ha no not an MR2 not that there is anything wrong with MR2's I quite like them but good thinking, mmh prize, how about a packet of smarties

If I ever get my act together maybe I'll post a pic as my avatar!

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 8-9-2003 at 20:09 Reply With Quote
Oooh... smarties!!

Is it an a Mazda MX5??

Al.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 8-9-2003 at 21:55 Reply With Quote
mmmmmm next guess......... dam minds gone blank

Not an american car is it?

[Edited on 8-9-2003 by badexcuseforasailor]

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 9-9-2003 at 16:22 Reply With Quote
Alfa GTV

Is there wind on the way??

mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 9-9-2003 at 16:56 Reply With Quote
BMW Z3

"Why should I have to WORK for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it! " C&H

Wolfman
Beach Bum

Posts 24

posted on 9-9-2003 at 19:07 Reply With Quote
Hi All,
Have I started something now, didn't know smarties were that popular

No not an MX5 or Z3 or a GTV and no its not american although I quite fancy a Dodge Viper. Mmh I was thinking of giving you a clue but.... I did say big engine though so.... There's a young lady in Borth who drives a Metro who knows (Drinking in the Glengower Sunday 24th August don't know if she's a FON but hey say hello if you are!!)

Anyway the thought for today is:
"Surfing is the deceptively simple act of riding a breaking ocean wave on a surfboard. In reality, as a fundamental physical feat, surfing on a wave is a phenomenal conjunction of forces; the mathematics of it are profoundly complex. However, as an expression of the essential relationship between man and nature, surfing is unique in its clarity. And as a metaphor for life and just about anything life throws at us, it is unparalleled. Life is a wave. Albert Einstein even said so."
Stoked: A History of Surf Culture

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 9-9-2003 at 21:35 Reply With Quote
honda nsx?

<<  1    2    3  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy