Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: New girl moving to your town... maybe???
Katie
Grommet

Member #: 322
Posts 7

Mood:

posted on 17-8-2003 at 09:30 Reply With Quote
New girl moving to your town... maybe???

Hello... my name is Katie,
My main sport aside from the usual tennis and basketball type stuff is downhill mountain biking and BMX. I know this isnt a cycling related site...but...

...I've been surfing a few times and love it so much (not just the surf... the sea in general) that I'm thinking of moving to Aber. I currently live in Sheffield but after only about 10 months there I'm fed up of the city, the pollution and the incinerator that burns all the citie's waste only a mile from my house.

I've been going to Newgale in Pembrokeshire for years. I've managed to avoid work and going to uni for the past year in order to do various cool things. However, trying to get a degree from Aber under my belt seems like a good get-out-of-the-city clause.....

So... it would be cool to get to know the scene and the people....I'm not really into the usual studenty stuff like ready meals, heavy drinking and Coldplay... hehe.

So hello... and...how do you do?

Katie

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 18-8-2003 at 05:49 Reply With Quote
Hi Katie,

Sounds as though you'll love Aber and the surrounding area. What course are you looing to do? I first came to Aber to do a geology degree, then liked it so much I decidd to stay here and do a PhD, by which time I couldn't leave and I'm still here now, 9 years on!!!

I think you'll find that many of the Aber students aren't your normal studenty type either. Many are of course, but quite a few come here to get away from city life as well, so you won't feel like the black sheep of the flock. (feeling like any sort of sheep is always a bit dodgy here in deepest darkest Wales!!!)

Theres loads of good mountain-biking to be found in the area, so you should be OK on that front. The surf scene is pretty good as well, even if the surf isn't the best in the world. It can be excellent on occasion, but isn't consistently good.

Hopefully we'll be hearing about your surfing / MTB antics on here soon...as well as the odd story about drunken nights out in Aber, as I'm sure there'll be a few, it just can't be heped occasionally.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 19-8-2003 at 12:04 Reply With Quote
When you get here - just stand in the sea at the Golf Course Car Park at Ynyslas in a skimpy bikini and Al will gybe around you.

He seems to think that the girls like that sort of thing.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 21-8-2003 at 04:57 Reply With Quote
I don't do it for their benefit!!

Happy Birthday by the way Katie!!

Al.

Angry_Apple
Pro

Can't put my finger on it Award 2003

Member #: 272
Posts 75

Mood: angry....yet content

posted on 21-8-2003 at 08:07 Reply With Quote
Hi Katie!
Yeah Aber is a cool town...It has everything(well basically)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Katie
Grommet

Posts 7

Mood:

posted on 22-8-2003 at 19:37 Reply With Quote
out of...the country

Will reply to your kind messages soon... but i am in germ?°ny on the computer of some kind people i hardly know...so gotta fly. Wiedersehn. btw the course im looking at is creative writing and english

katie

nido
Grommet

Member #: 158
Posts 11

Mood: kalokairini

posted on 25-8-2003 at 19:32 Reply With Quote
Greetings from Greece, Katie.

iF iT ain'T fun... iT ain'T worThy!

Katie
Grommet

Posts 7

Mood:

posted on 28-8-2003 at 13:38 Reply With Quote
dirty water

Hello... i am back from germany. It was lovely and warm. Now back in Sheffield and its like winter again and so soon!! Grrrr...

Anyway... sources have told me that Aberystwyth harbour is actually very polluted. Off shore sewage dumping etc. I'm not really up for surfing in that and dont really intend to get a car...so, what do you local sea-going people think? I might add that this information came from one surfer on a mountain biking website, who was up to date with SAS info...

Thanks for the birthday greetings, Al. I was sweet 19 last thursday.

So.. is it expensive to live in Aber? I know this is kinda boring stuff but a girl has to know if shes going to live there.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 28-8-2003 at 19:37 Reply With Quote
OK, I'm sure The Trap isn't the cleanest of surf breaks, but its not THAT bad. The worst it gets is when they dredge the harbour itself, but they don't do that very often.

There are a couple of other breaks in Aberystwyth itself, Bath Rocks and Queens are the most often surfed, and they are quite a way from the Harbour. The other 'local' breaks will mean that you'd need some sort of transport to get you there, but as a 19 yr old female surfer I shouldn't imagine you;d have too much trouble getting a ride from any of the other surfers around here!!!

As far as the expense of living in Aber is concerned, then I think its OK. Accomodation is about average (£50 a week or there abouts), normal everyday items are the same as elsewhere, petrol is a little more expensive than in some parts, and everything else you can get off the internet!! One expense that you may have will be getting out of Aberystwyth towards civilisation.. I find it quite cheap to live here as the way of life is slightly less materialistic than in a city (no ones really that bothered about having all the latest fashions, gadgets etc.), so you don't feel pressurised into buying things you don't need.

Thats just me though, so what does anyone else who does or has lived in Aber think??

Al.

justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 29-8-2003 at 14:38 Reply With Quote
I've always found Aber quite cheap for everyday living costs. Rent is certainly cheaper than other parts of the country. As Al said the main expense is getting to and from Aber. It's basically a 2hour drive from ANYWHERE and the trains only go every 2 hours to Shrewsbury/Birmingham so if you want to go anywhere in Wales by train you have to go there first.

Usually people either love it or hate it! I love it and have been here since 1995 when I started as a student. I now live in Ynyslas and work for the uni. Other people can't wait to get away.

If you're after a friendly seaside town and can cope without the 'big city' facilites then Aberystwyth is a really nice university. The facilities on campus arefine as are most of the halls of residence. They even put a bus service on so you don't have to walk up and down the hill all the time!

I can't think of anything else good or bad to add.

Let us know if you decide to come to Aber or not and we'll keep an eye out for you on the beach.

Anna

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 29-8-2003 at 15:09 Reply With Quote
Hi Katie,

I couldn't say I have ever lived in Aber but I have been around a bit with Al. I must say I love the place. Well for me actually the country side is what I love most. The scenery at the coast is marvellous.
The past 2 years I have lived in Telford, West Midlands, but I often drove to Borth / Ynislas to the beach to wind surf. The people there are so friendly, too. If I had the choice again where to study I know where that would be: Aber!!

Now I live in Germany again, which is nice too, as I understand you appreciate as well. Can't have it all, can you?

Joe

Katie
Grommet

Posts 7

Mood:

posted on 14-9-2003 at 18:28 Reply With Quote
visiting

I will be in Aberystwyth next weekend. Staying at MTBCymru...taking my bike...checking out the town and the sea. I am most intreguied...how do you spell that damn word?!!
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 15-9-2003 at 05:46 Reply With Quote
Intrigued.

You should have been here this weekend, its been gorgeous weather and the suf was going off yesterday!!

Still, I guess its best for you to see it on a 'normal' day really, just so that you can get the feel for it.

Let us know what you think.

Al.

Katie
Grommet

Posts 7

Mood:

posted on 22-9-2003 at 16:14 Reply With Quote
8/10

Well... i am back. And in one piece. We visited on one of the busiest days of the year...student return saturday.... so it was difficult to move around and it was raining. But, we stayed at a really cool place and I went on a day long bike ride to Dovey forest with some local riders... i had a great day. I'm coming back on 22nd October but need somewhere to stay and someone to show me around. I think i like the place...?!
justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 22-9-2003 at 17:10 Reply With Quote
What are you coming to Aber to do? I assumed you were a student but obviously not is you've been and gone on Freshers weekend!

You'll have to let us know when you are back 'for good'!

As far as somewhere to stay what sort of thing are you after? Student flat or something a bit more upmarket? There is plenty of choice and even some of teh student stuff is fairly decent (if you're a postgrad that is).

Let us know what you're after and I'll post a couple of links for you. It just won't be for the next couple of days as I'm heavily involed in student registration so I'm really busy for the next couple of days trying to sort out those student who don't know the difference between social science and proper science!

Might see you soon
Anna

Katie
Grommet

Posts 7

Mood:

posted on 22-9-2003 at 17:57 Reply With Quote
hi Anna,
Sorry to confuse you. I have just started my second 'year out' but am thinking about uni for next year. Specifically interested in Aber for a) the sea b) the cycling c) the fantastic landscape and scenery and d) this city stinks! But before i consider it I need to know whether I'm going to like living there for three years...or maybe more!
I'm coming back on the 22nd to the university open day and will hopefully stay a few days to do some mountain biking and generally just checking stuff out.
I was kind of suggesting somebody might want to put me up for a few days and perhaps make a friend or two in the process.???

Katie

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy