Author: Subject: Poole Windfest
simonzz
Hot shot

Member #: 12
Posts 35

Mood:

posted on 16-8-2003 at 12:28 Reply With Quote
Poole Windfest

I was thinking off tootling over to Poole for that Windfest "do" - perhaps a more urbane windsurfing location would make for a nice contrast to darkest West Wales.

Anyone been before ? Worth a 4 hour drive? More importantly , how do I get tickets for the evening bash?

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 16-8-2003 at 19:13 Reply With Quote
Phone Gary or Dave at FCWatersports (01202) 708555 or e-mail info@poolewindfest.

As to "is it worth it" well that depends on what you are after. Gary came infor a lot of critisism for last years event on the boards web page, but I have been for the last two years (I am local) and I think its a good event.

Generally there are manufacturers and distributors there in force. The action and exhibitors are split into two areas, inside the harbour and outside on the beach. Different things at each place.

Free equipment trials and freestyle competition inside, lots of kit on display and racing on the beach.

Last year there must have been 10-15 manufactures in total, some of them in both locations. They ranged from mast, board and sail people to wetsuit cleaning gunk people.

If you want to see lots of kit and talk to people about your next purchase then you should go, however, I have not seen any bargins on display if you are thinking you will get a bargin you may well be disappointed

If you want to try some kit in similar conditions for free, then go. However it is not a guaranteed wind event, so if you are looking for a small wave sail/board the conditions will probably not be there for a good test.

If you fancy seeing some competition freestyle or race then go. Freestyle on the inside is very easy to watch as some of the competitors will sail only a about 10M from the breakwater. Ther is the rumour that there will be some off the beach 'fun' races this year to get the beach competition closer to the people. I heard about this before I heard about Super-X but it would not suprise me if Gary pushes the 'fun' race in this direction.

The big races will be a bit farther out to see, but can be watched by eye or through some binoculars.

Finally Animal (sponsors) put some good effort in. Last year there was a good BMX/mountain bike display by some champion (sorry mate I can't remember your name) but he was very good and impressive to watch. They also had some good music pumping out and lots of giveaways.

Overall a good event if..........the wind blows!

Have you been to Poole before? If not there is a lot to see and do that are not windsurf related. A quick summary is:-
7M long sandy beach
18 pubs within easy walking distance of Poole harbour
Climbing and walking in the Purbeck hills
plus all the normal holiday pursuits

Let me know if you need/want more info

SeanBo

Oh sorry nearly forgot. Never been to the party, but have heard it is good. Music, beer and atmospere. Rumour had it they drank the bar dry last year....I bet that does not happen again!

Is there wind on the way??

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 337

posted on 16-8-2003 at 22:59 Reply With Quote
Just grabbed this link, hope it helps

http://www.poolewindfest.co.uk

simonzz
Hot shot

Member #: 12
Posts 35

Mood:

posted on 17-8-2003 at 05:10 Reply With Quote
Wow , I'm up for some of that. And not a mention of jetskis anywhere (its been particularly bad here this summer)
I see that your particular locale is not yet featured in the FON beach guide - A nice little project for you.

I'm sure there would be quite a few interested - myself, to name but err .. one.

Cheers,

Chris

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 337

posted on 17-8-2003 at 07:48 Reply With Quote
I volunteered to write the beach guide for Poole, Branksome, Christchurch, Kimmeridge and some spots on the IOW for Al, but he's a bit busy with other stuff at the mo and has not got round to writing the database.

Happy to post on the forum if it would help.

PS - now I have easy access to a digital camera I can include some snaps

PPS - No mention of jet-ski's because they are not allowed in the windsurfing area inside the harbour and outside they tend to zap along the beach away from where most of the competition is

[Edited on 17-8-2003 by SeanBo]

nicp
Hot shot

Member #: 30
Posts 37

Mood:

posted on 18-8-2003 at 15:28 Reply With Quote
re: jetskis - they've pissed me off at Branksome before now. They buzz back and forwards from Bournemouth out to Sandbanks - muppets the lot of em.

SeanBo - whats the lowdown on Kimmeridge - been up there once but not sailed as wind was in the wrong direction and not strong enough - care to give us a quick run down?

cheers
Nic

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 337

posted on 18-8-2003 at 17:38 Reply With Quote
I know what you mean about the jetskis at Branksome, this is the clasic place for a Pose and they regularly come far too close to the beach, fortunately the Windfest is much closer to the Haven part of the beach.

If you have been to Kimmeridge once and sail at Branksome you probably know more than I do as I am a flat water intermediate, but I have watched the locals 'giving it large' at Kimmeridge.

Sailing conditions are very different from branksome as the bay itself is a lot more enclosed.

My best (semi-educated) guess is that wind direction is very critical as there are cliffs and hills on three sides. Anything with south in it would work, but a pure southerly would be onshore so not the best. At a guess anything with East and South would be best.

Sailing is probably only realistic on or around high tide (1 hout before to one hour after?) as there are some rocky shelves that stretch out into the bay.

Launching is from the East side of the bay and there is parking right down on the 'front' with a small grass rigging area (NB during holiday season and at other irregular time the approach road is used as a toll road and I think they charge extra for windsurfers)

Launching looked horific. Timing was critical and once you commit there is no chance to change your mind! It seemed to involve running down a greasy slip-way throwing the board in, jumping on and pumping hard to get past the rocks on either side before the next wave hit.

landing was little better, hard in, time it right jump off as the wave goes out or you will be neck deep plus, grab the board and run up the slipway!

But that is the bad news. The day we were there the waves were rolling in steadily with a fair gap between them making very nice looking conditions in the bay. Once outside it got a bit messier, but some people spent all their time out the back so it could not have been that bad!

The local sailing standard looked very good, lots of long floaty jumps, some loops/attempts and plenty of carving on wave faces.

One final though is that most of the kit on the water looked like it was very experienced! May be best to take your more 'comfortable' kit the first time you sail.

Personally Branksome in the next 12 months is my goal. I think it will be sometime before I sail at Kimmeridge, but my wife will probably make both before I do!

I hope this helps

SeanBo

nicp
Hot shot

Member #: 30
Posts 37

Mood:

posted on 19-8-2003 at 08:25 Reply With Quote
oh right thanks for that. I thought it might be somewhere you sailed regularly

when we were down there we checked that launch out - not the easiest in the world is it! Will perhaps give it shot next time I'm down that way and the wind is in the right direction.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy