Author: Subject: First post and after help
underdog
Beach Bum

Member #: 321
Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 14-8-2003 at 22:55 Reply With Quote
First post and after help

Ok, as it suggests I am after some help.

I spent most of my teenage years surfing, but for various reasons it got left behind in the end. So have now decided 7 years later that surfing is what my life needs again.

So now I am looking for a new board, and boards have changed so much in 7 years, I learned on a 6ft 10 Mojo, then went to a 6ft6 session and finally to a 6ft4 T&C board.

I give my T&C a shot the other day and managed to stand up in 1 foot waves.

So I am after some basic advice on a new board size, I have been told to go for a 7ft 10 mini mal, which is not what I wanted to here. I don't mind spending a little longer re learning on a smaller board, it's just since it's going to be new, I want it to last me as long as possible for the cash.

I am 14 and a bit stone, but will probably dorp to about 13 once I get back in trianing etc, I'm 6ft tall. Oh I really want a short board, surf in Wales.

Thanks guys, hope I have posted this in the right place

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 15-8-2003 at 05:36 Reply With Quote
Hi Underdog,

Good to have you on-board here.

I know how you feel and how much you'd prefer to be on a shortboard. The biggest board I've ever surfed is 6'6" and I'm usually out on my 5'10" fish, so I'm a shortboarder myself.

Two things though, you are quite bit bigger than me, and probably bigger and less fit / agile than you were in your teenage years. Also, depending on where you surf, you might actually get more time on the water with a bigger board such as the mini-mal suggested... Whats to stop you having two boards, a cheap second hand mini-mal to get you back into it, to use on smaller days and get you out in the water as often as possible, and a nice shiny shortboard for when the waves are firing??

Secondly, as you say yourself, boards have changed a bit over the last few years. They are lighter, thinner and performance has improved so that a longer board may actually surprise you with its performance anyway.

I'd prefer to be on a short board, but I'm beginning to think that I should have a long-board as well, just to make use of the smaller days here. Theres no point making life difficult for yourself or forcing yourself to sit on the beach watching others enjoy themselves just because the waves aren't big / good enough for you to get out there on your shortboard. I now its a matter of pride in a way and the old fashioned way of looking at it was that long boards are for old people, but being old and on the water surfing is better than being young and sat on the beach!!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 15-8-2003 at 08:48 Reply With Quote
hi underdog,

I got shot of my 6ft and a bit board as I just had to admit I was too fat for it considering how little I was getting out, I now have a 7ft6" DHD, it's effectily a shortboard for the "larger gentleman" and although I'm not very good on it I love it.

have a look at some of the "fat boy flyers" that are around, sound like you need more float in your board, but you may not have to go as far a mal.

enjoy

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

underdog
Beach Bum

Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 15-8-2003 at 12:28 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm fairly fit, I play ice and roller hockey a lot, and so it helps my balance too.

It's the hockey off season right now, so am about a stone and a bit heavier than normal, will probably drop to bit under 13 stone when back into it.

I'm not a fashionable guy, so it's not a fashion thing with the board size, but I am an aggresive surfer and want a board I can be aggresive on.

I can get up on my 6ft 4 T&C in 1 ft surf on my first go in 7 years, so think my mind is still programmed to do the right things, ha ha.

I was thinking of something in the 6ft 10 range, also ease of transport is a farily big factor since my car is soft top, so no roof rack.

But I am listening to yur advice guys, thanks.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 17-8-2003 at 06:55 Reply With Quote
Go for it... If you have a 6'4" board anyway and get on OK with that, then a slightly longer one (6'10") will just give you more versatility.

We'll be expecting to read diary entries containing stories of sick barrels and big aerials soon!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

underdog
Beach Bum

Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 17-8-2003 at 09:53 Reply With Quote
I think you are more likely to here stories of tired arms, a lot of falling, and some swearing before the good stories start to come.

I'm off to PJ's today see what boards he has got about and I'll make an order for whatever I decide on next week some time.

underdog
Beach Bum

Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 18-8-2003 at 13:57 Reply With Quote
Well it's going to be either a pipedreams off the shelf job (nice and quik only 2 days wait) or a custom black salamander, hope touse my shotbaord before I decide but well the waves are just never coming (
paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 18-8-2003 at 13:59 Reply With Quote
what shape size you getting ?

don't forget to post pics and reports

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

underdog
Beach Bum

Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 18-8-2003 at 14:11 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul
what shape size you getting ?

don't forget to post pics and reports

I'm going to be getting something that looks like a short board but fatter and wider, and at about 6ft 8 or 6ft 10. The Pipedreams baord ha a swallow tail, the other doesnt, it looks more like something I know.

I shall post pics, if it's a custom then I'l have something out of the ordinary on it

underdog
Beach Bum

Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 20-8-2003 at 07:58 Reply With Quote
Ok orderd my new board, should have it in the next few days, it' an off the shelf Dahlburg swallow tail.

It's 6' 10" x 20" x 2 5/8 Should float enough for me to be back on my feet within a few weeks, well I hope so anyway.

[Edited on 20-8-2003 by underdog]

[Edited on 20-8-2003 by underdog]

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy