Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 1-8-2003 at 01:03 Reply With Quote
Vans

Looks like your right about the wind!
SSW that must almost be cross shore at Borh? Sounds good for jumping.Ive just finished another 12hr. shift & am a little jealous,wanna get a tranny before the autumn so got earn it ehh! How do you like your 2.5 diesel ford?

Spence...

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 1-8-2003 at 05:30 Reply With Quote
It great.

The engine is fine and up to around 140,000 miles at the mo, the last one I had had done 250,000 miles and was still going strong. Trouble is living by the sea, they rust away in no time. Its the same with all cars though, I don't think Transits are any worse. I suppose its one of the prices I have to pay.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 2-8-2003 at 18:17 Reply With Quote
250,000 thats good.I had a 2.0 petrol swb Transit along time ago,which i really liked,but will go for a diesel this time.I like the VW's as well but the for the same money you get alot newer Ford,so havnt made my mind up yet,ideally would like a swb semi-high top,no rush though.
Spence.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 4-8-2003 at 06:07 Reply With Quote
When I was looking for a new van, I saw some with over 500,000 miles on the clock.... Mainly ex AA vans though.

The Ford engines are good, but in the new shape they use renault engines... I'm not sure how good they are in comparison. I think most of the diesel ones will be fine.

KLet us know when you get it, and how you kit it out. Will it be purely a toybox or will you have to use it for other purposes too? At the moment mine is full of tools and stuff as we don't have a house to store things in. This of course means that it can't really be used as originally intended.

Al.

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 6-8-2003 at 18:37 Reply With Quote
Hi m8, half a million miles! how mamy times round the planet is that! ,we have 2 vw golfs at the mo,but 1 is dying slowly so gonna replace it with a van,& i will probably use it to get to work as well as a Toybox.,so the VW is probably a bit more practical in that sense bieing a little smaller.Been working 2am-2pm this week,which is weird,grabbing all the Overtime i can to fund the Van.
That sail you had earlier this week sounded a bit Mad . Right off to bed, at 7.30pm very strange
Bi...

[Edited on 6-8-2003 by Spencer]

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 6-8-2003 at 20:00 Reply With Quote
I know, half a million miles is quite a way.... Which is why I didn't buy it.

I use my LWB transit as my everyday vehicle as well... They aren't that big, and I much prefer driving it around town than driving a car.... But then I just prefer driving a van than a car.

Yesterdays sail was a bit mad, I wasn't exaggerating about the gustiness (gustyness??), it really was going from 5 knots to 35 knots and swinging all over the place. It wasn't exactly relaxing, and certainly not what I'm used to here... I suppose the fact that I learnt to windsurf at Baltic Wharf in Bristol Docks should have been good training for such conditions though.

Al.

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2003 at 17:38 Reply With Quote
Hey, thats the 1st place i ever windsurfed at the Outdoor pursuits place,cant remember the name,just down from the SS great Britain by the swing bridge thingy,my brother used to do part time work there.God its hot,just need some nice force 5's blowing now!
I used to have a swb Transit as a daily drive when i windsurfed before & really liked it,but gave up the Wsurfing & sold the van,
Spence...

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 7-8-2003 at 21:37 Reply With Quote
I didn't know there was an Outdoor Pursuits centre there. I know there the Baltic Wharf sailing club and that they run windsurf lessons etc. The theres the Operation Raleigh cnetre opposite, and the Sea Scouts centre as well, and Avon Adventure Sports club had a lock-up there by the Nova Scotia, maybe it was one of those??

I used to spend far too much time in those docks when I was younger. We used to jump off the bows of the big sand dredging boats that were always moored there!!.. Not exactly the healthiest place to be swimming I know, but that didn't worry us then.

Theres a photo of my first windsurfing session there somewhere on these forums... I'll have a look for it.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 7-8-2003 at 21:40 Reply With Quote
Here you go Spencer..

This thread has the photo in it, the second photo in the thread as the first one is Pauls first go at windsurfing..

Do you recognise those waters?? And just look at that stance!! I'm also glad the photos blurry as I was wearing a particularly sext wetsuit complete with beaver tail flap!!!

Al.

P.S. Once again one of your threads has gone completely off the original topic! Oh well.

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2003 at 17:43 Reply With Quote
MMM, nice kit. amazing how quickly its all come on. Avon adventure was the place,it was probably about 17 years ago. These days you would probably get arrested for having a swim in there?. Yeah its turned into more of a ongoing conversation as opposed to a set topic.cant believe you havnt had much of the heat wave up there,it was 35c in the garden this afternoon
Spence

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 8-8-2003 at 19:01 Reply With Quote
Give you one guess what kind of van I recommend! Spence, if you want to have a look let me know. I am sure that we can sort something out.

Mines done 179K, but only 80K on this engine. Its not fast and a struggle to park near where I live, but use it every day with no problems.

Wes

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 12-8-2003 at 01:09 Reply With Quote
Yeah thanks i my take you up on that & have a look,i used to have a swb transit & seem to remeber my Screamer only fitting in with the nose under the front seat.AT the moment i really fancy a lwb VW transporter,bearing in mind the missus may ave to drive it now & again & they are a bit thinner than the Ford Trannys! The photos looked like Lansdown road?
markh
Hot shot

Member #: 42
Posts 56

Mood:

posted on 12-8-2003 at 09:29 Reply With Quote
That's why i got a VW Transporter, Spencer. with the long wheelbase I can get a Bic Veloce 288 in with no problem. Anything over 3m would need to either have the nose going under or in between the front seats, or maybe rack it at an angle along the wall (i.e. nose up high). And as you say it is narrower - barely more than your average MPV. Drives nicely as well but I haven't driven a Transit recently to compare. Low roof option wil go in pretty much all carparks including those annoying beach carparks that have a height barrier!

My old 1980 VW camper did a good job on this as well. With the engine being at the back, it had more load length inside the actual van so if you're on a tight budget it's worth considering. I just found mine so slow that I got put off going to the coast for the weekend (let alone a day).

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Posts 198

posted on 12-8-2003 at 11:28 Reply With Quote
I do find that parking the LWB transit can be a bit of a git, especially on Lansdown Road (spot on Spencer - I live about half way up) when I get back from the gym.
I can fit in the other halfs Hifly Maxx, 305 although its a bit of a squeeze and I didn't design the wetbox for that board. Driving wise, its not good for more than 80, and likes to stay at around 70, but then I make up that time with not having to pitch camp and keep driving too and from the waters edge at the end of each day. Turn up the night B4, first sail at sunrise, brekky, sail, kip, food, sail etc is a normal day at the beach now!
Any time you want a look spence drop me a mail or call on 07976 890001. Its parked about 1/2 mile from your house (I think) as I type.............

[Edited on 12-8-2003 by Wes]

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 12-8-2003 at 11:31 Reply With Quote
Hi Mark, what engine you got. 1.9/2.5 td, or petrol even?
Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 12-8-2003 at 11:37 Reply With Quote
Hi Wes,yeah i thought that looked like Lansdown road,i know that area quite well as i lived in Morford street for 11 years. Guessing your van is a 2.5 diesel? As i said i had a 2.0 petrol ford and maxed that out at 107mph on the motorway,but it sounded like the prop was gonna come through the floor
markh
Hot shot

Member #: 42
Posts 56

Mood:

posted on 12-8-2003 at 16:17 Reply With Quote
2.5tdi 88bhp version. Petrol way too expensive! i did look out for the 1.9 but that is only available on the short wheelbase vans and is supposedly v.underpowered. I think nicp has got a short wheelbase 1.9 "800 Special" and fits all his kit in but there again it's all highwind stuff.
Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Posts 198

posted on 12-8-2003 at 21:29 Reply With Quote
Wes

Yep, 2.5 deisel with extra pedal power (I make the passengers do that) Its pretty noisy to drive, just as well i fitted some BIG speakers to drown it out
Slow but steady, I steal the other halfs car when I want to travel fast............
I think the later Transits are a lot faster (mines an 'R' reg) but then they cost more and i'm only going to rot it with sea water.........

You really are a local spence, how do you manage to get so many days sailing a WSM? I never get there when the wind is blowing, havn't managed once this year!

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 13-8-2003 at 01:12 Reply With Quote
I havnt managed a sail there for a while either,with is annoying,i work shift work so in the summer when im on 6-2pm & the high tides are in the afternoon i pop down after work.I hurt my knee 3 weeks ago at Exmouth,seen the doctor this morning cus its still not right,she said i damaged some nerves which could take another 6 weeeks to heal & in the mean time have some Physio... but she didnt say not to sail!!! So where do you sail on the South coast,Waves or flat water? Are you gonna try & go up to Borth on the 4/5 Oct,(see travel forum).

Spence

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Posts 198

posted on 13-8-2003 at 11:14 Reply With Quote
I mainly head to Poole, Calshot or Weymouth. I am still stuggling with my carve gybes so am mainly sailing on flat water, although I will go out into waves as long as they are not too big and I have a safe landing area. Had some great sails at Marizion in June, first day had a slight chop, 8.0 sail + large board blasting along flat water second had a small swell, in 6.5 & the Max2air weather. Really good fun. Thats the last time I got the small board out of its bag. How depressing is that?Planning to go to a lot more wave style spots in later this year to try and get better. One of which may well be the Borth weekend. Didn't know about it until just now, have to get clearance from the other half, although she will probably come if I promise her some waves and a body board! I'll keep you posted on that one.
Shame about the knee, I had to spend 4 months off the water last Nov onwards due to a crap knee. Doc / pyhsio said it was atheritus, (crapped me up no end - i'm only 26!) but a couple of injections and it feels great again. Meant I missed most of the windy season though.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy