Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Re: 12th August 2012 Diary Entry by Bananaman.
pete b

Member #: 2479
Posts 3

Mood: Chilled

posted on 12-8-2012 at 19:51 Reply With Quote
Re: 12th August 2012 Diary Entry by Bananaman.

On 12th August 2012, Bananaman wrote:

quote:
Windsurfing: Grafham Water
Wind Direction: East
Wind Stength: 11mph
Surf / Sea State: Flat
Air Temperature:
Sea Temperature:
Weather: Sun and cloud

First time out this year as moved over Cambridge way and hadn't got round to it, well my kit was still in Hemel for a start which I picked up last week. Anyway, was well looking forward to today and a good session. Unfortunately the wind blew as forecast 11mph max, sometimes a lot less. Still, new venue not sailed at Grafham before so rigged the 8m Noa and off I went. Session wise it was ok to start with there was some wind out there didn't get planing though almost occasionally in a gust. Wind died after a few hours making it hard work, especially the upwind struggle. Nice friendly bunch of people down there though. Technique wise (if you can call it that) I went out and in, tacked and that was it didn't try anythign else. At least my kit is still ok haven't used it for ages. Oh pricey or what, £20 to play. What a rip-off. It's almost as if they are trying to put people off at these prices. So much for olympics and getting people into sport, £20 a time is a con. Some people can't afford that. I know I will think twice about going there at that price, especially if you think how much petrol £20 can buy you and thus possibly travelling a bit further afield. Ah well, it's kinda convenient but I just think that after investing/maintaining kit £20 a time (on Sunday, £15 in the week) is far too steep. I'm only giving it two stars, because of lack of wind and the price and it was better than doing nothing

Hey Banaman - Rutland is only 15 quid. Also a few from the Cambridge area sail at Hunstanton & other N. Norfolk venues. Cheaper parking makes up for petrol & conditions always better than Graffham or Rutland.

Bananaman
Pro

Member #: 522
Posts 99

Mood: Re-invigorated

posted on 12-8-2012 at 23:07 Reply With Quote
I saw Hunstanton on the web. Looks ok. Is it flat water there? Don't do waves lol. £20 would easy pay for petrol to get there huh. The only thing that confuses me is the tides? For flat water at Hunstanton, what tide do I need?

A New Breed Of Superhero

pete b

Posts 3

posted on 13-8-2012 at 18:10 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bananaman
I saw Hunstanton on the web. Looks ok. Is it flat water there? Don't do waves lol. £20 would easy pay for petrol to get there huh. The only thing that confuses me is the tides? For flat water at Hunstanton, what tide do I need?

For tide info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/tide_tables/1/ /> NB: Comments refer to Hunstanton town (rather than Old Hunstanton)
At low water during spring tides not only is the water flat but also very shallow. The waviness of the place varies not only with tide but also wind direction. eg for a couple of hours each side of lw in a sw it'll be very flat, even when quite windy. OTOH if it's been blowing a good north easterly for a day or two it can get quite rough at higher tide states. But NE's are the exception rather than rule. To all intents & purposes it's a flat water venue & anyone who can handle the chop & gusty wind of a large inland venue like Grafham or Rutland shouldn't have a problem. indeed as it gets windier Hunstanton becomes easier than Rutland.

Bananaman
Pro

Posts 99

posted on 13-8-2012 at 21:40 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. I will try to get up there. Sounds fab. How much is the car park? Don't have to be a member do I of the club? Also at low water how long is the walk to the water from the car park? Thanks in advance.

A New Breed Of Superhero

pete b

Posts 3

posted on 18-8-2012 at 07:03 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bananaman
Thanks for the info. I will try to get up there. Sounds fab. How much is the car park? Don't have to be a member do I of the club? Also at low water how long is the walk to the water from the car park? Thanks in advance.

The car park is £4.80 for 4 hours or £7.00 all day! You don't have to be a member. Car parking is reserved for watersports (not powered craft) and right next to the slip - easy to miss as it's a small road just past the bandstand, look towards the sea and you'll see the re-developed pier head, a small toilet block and a small row of shelters set on a large grassy area.
Low water walk depends on tide height - a tolerable walk during neaps and a bit more during springs but not the end of the world. Bear in mind that unlike inland once you get your sail size right you'll rarely have to change it during a session.
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk/dbdriven/beachguide/beachguide.php/location/363/Hunstanton%20(Sailing%20Club) /> http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk/dbdriven/beachguide/beachguide.php?action=display_photo&photo_id=226 />
[Edited on 18-8-2012 by pete b]

Bananaman
Pro

Posts 99

posted on 20-8-2012 at 20:01 Reply With Quote
Thanks peteb. Gonna head up there when there is the right amount of wind, i.e. 6m or 8m weather.

A New Breed Of Superhero

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy