Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Blackrock sands (read this)
col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 405
Posts 1022

Mood: who needs wind anyway

posted on 12-11-2010 at 10:36 Reply With Quote
Blackrock sands (read this)

taken from local paper printed today in Wales (can someone post on kite crowd etc)

Complaints over kite boarding at Porthmadog beach
Nov 11 2010 by Kevin White, Caernarfon and Denbigh Herald

SAFETY and access concerns have been raised over the increasing popularity of kite boarding at a popular beach.
Several members of Porthmadog Town Council raised the issue at the council’s monthly meeting this week, and complained that the abundance of kite boarding on Black Rock Sands reduced walkers and motorists on the beach to the status of second class citizens.
Gwynedd Council’s nautical and country parks officer Barry Davies was present at the meeting, and was told by councillor Gwyn Davies that the beach would regularly be taken over by the land based kite boards, which resemble skateboards harnessed to a kite.
Cllr Davies said: “This has been going on for a number of years, and I’ve heard many complaints that people aren’t able to wander around on the beach at their leisure. The kite boarders take over, and it’s just too dangerous to get in their way.
“These people aren’t even local, but they are infringing on local residents’ enjoyment of the beach. The people of this area should have the right to go there whenever and wherever they want. It isn't fair on us.”
In response Barry Davies said that the kite boarders were restricted to using the beach during the winter months only: “Even at this time of the year the nature of the sport means that weather conditions have to be perfect, so it’s not as if they are there all day every day.”
Cllr Ifor Jones, who represents nearby village Morfa Bychan said: “If you go near their ropes the kite boarders will come over and have a go at you. Their presence means that the beach is too busy or dangerous for us locals. Why should we have to suffer for them?”
Several councillors asked Mr Davies if the kite boarders could be regulated more effectively, with an idea of launching a permit or license scheme similar to Gwynedd’s policy with jetskis mooted. He said: “We can look into this but you could have issues with implementing these permits and policing them.
“We are hamstrung by the fact that my department numbers just eight officers during the winter months. With these resources we have monitor the longest coastline of any county in Wales. I would say it is important we don’t over regulate.
“Black Rock Sands is one of the best beaches in Britain for this kind of activity, and we don’t want the people who use it to take their custom elsewhere. These people bring money to the local economy, and also enjoyment to many who view it as a spectator sport. However, I accept councillors’ concerns about misuse of the beach and I would ask people to be vigilant and report any problems to us.
“Ultimately, I think we have to find a balance. They are currently restricted to a part of the beach in front of the Greenacres park, and most kite boarders stay within these confines.”

To Infirmary and beyond..

Fart Boy
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1459
Posts 408

Mood:

posted on 12-11-2010 at 12:20 Reply With Quote
Oh more permits. That will make a difference!

I have been in various clubs over the years and had to fly in well marked/signed areas. Walkers still insisted in passing straight through risking their safety in the process.

Most walkers etc I find love to watch and discuss the sport with you. But dog owners! I loose count how many times I have had a dog piss or run over my kites. That type of lack of control sees me respond given the price of gear.

Good to know that at least some of the officials realise what we bring to the area and that we are already restricted.

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 12-11-2010 at 18:02 Reply With Quote
Not that I sail there, but are there any restrictions on the water?

Am I right that if you rig up below the mean low tide and once on the water your governed by maritime regs not the local council?

Its all very sad.

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 405
Posts 1022

Mood: who needs wind anyway

posted on 12-11-2010 at 19:44 Reply With Quote
think the guy, maritime officer, is on our side etc, but if you do kite there just have consideration for others etc

To Infirmary and beyond..

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 12-11-2010 at 21:22 Reply With Quote
Barry is a a good guy, and an "out doory" him self. Not that up there concerns me, but if I was a local rider up there, Id be suggesting a allocated ridiing area? could be worth while. No regs on kite surfing Dunk, but Ive heard of kite surfers getting a moan at for walking miles up n down the beach rarther than launching and landing as close to the water as possible.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy