Author: Subject: retrofitting new finboxes to older boards
brundlefly
Grommet

Member #: 197
Posts 11

Mood: mellow

posted on 8-5-2003 at 20:44 Reply With Quote
retrofitting new finboxes to older boards

i got a quote recently to retro-fit a powerbox fin box into and old f2 strato that i`ve got,which although worth nothing is still a good ride(fnaarr fnaarr).primarily the idea being to give the thing a bit more lift with bigger sails in lite winds,and secondly because i can use my stash of fins for my 272 wizzard.the board at the moment carries an alluminium clad classic box.the largest fin i can find(and own)is a 39cm.g10 slalom fin that`s now worn down to 37cm.i was wandering if anybody out there has ever gone for this course of action and if so was it successful(did it last ect.),`cause it ain`t cheap - but then neither is buying a widestyle early planer! help me guys` i need advice.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 13-5-2003 at 06:44 Reply With Quote
Can't help with your actual question, but if you can get a 39cm fin in the classic box fitting, won't that be enough?... You wouldn't be able to put huge 70cm Formula type fins into it anyway as you need the extra width of the big wide-style boards to carry such fins.

How much was the quote to fit the powerbox?

Also, if you have a 272 Wizzard then you have a wide(ish) style early planing board anyway, and I doubt that the Strato with bigger powerbox fins would actually give you much of a performance advantage over the Wizzard??

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

brundlefly
Grommet

Posts 11

posted on 13-5-2003 at 19:36 Reply With Quote
reply to justal

Hi Al.Thanks for your reply.The quote in question was for the not untidy sum of 120g.b.p.
The wizzard is indeed fairly early planing but it`s really my high wind board(see tests on surfstore`s website to see why).The strato although old is actually quite quick when it`s planing.I think this is due to the fact that it`s pretty narrow across the tail,and when up to speed most of it`s 3.4m length is out of the water.Because of limited funds(i.e wife and 2 kids)I figured it might be cheaper to modify what i had,(for lighter wind-summer-cruising/blasting)than try to explain to a non believer why I needed to blow another 650 sovs. on a super early planer!.
Anyhow,just incase your intrested myself and a mate of mine had an interesting high wind session at Aberdovey on sunday,culminating in 2 board changes,3 sail sizes and 3 fins (just trying to keep up with the not so steadily increasing wind!)All good fun though.Where was everybody?.It`s nice having 4000 acres of water to play in but it was also very quiet(just us).`spose every one else was surfing the web looking for windspeed averages for the great British Isles!.
Gotta go `cause the windsuring widow`s getting stoaty!
Ian.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 13-5-2003 at 20:06 Reply With Quote
£120 is quite a bit.... More than the board itself is worth!!

Just read the Wizzards test, and as you pointed out, they say its good with smaller sails in higher winds. They also say that its early planing is good too, so you might be better off saving the £120 to butcher the Strato and using the wizzard as your one board for everything. It won't be long before you want something smaller anyway and you could then put the £120 to better use!!

As for sunday... Have you taken a look through the Personal Diaries on this site?... They should show you where some people were.. I was out windsurfing twice on Sunday about a mile away from you, on the sea at Borth. A couple of others were out as well, but there wasn't really enough wind to make for a good session. Unfortunately I had to go out in the evening when it started picking up properly. Yesterday was better and today better again.

Let us know next time you'll be down this way.

Al.

brundlefly
Grommet

Posts 11

posted on 13-5-2003 at 21:05 Reply With Quote
sunday`s session

I met a bloke on sunday morning who was putting away a jp wave board who claimed there wasn`t enough wind.Mind you,the second board he had rigged was a starboard carve 151 which he couldn`t get going either.Might have been something to do with the 6.0m sail he was trying to use in a force 2-3?.I started off with my new pryde v8(8.4).This was at about 1.30pm,had 2 good runs before the wind freshened.I finally got of the water at around 7.00pm pretty knackered after battling with my arrows 6.1 speedster in the chop.The wind was now blowing a good 5 gusting 6.It`s a shame you couldn`t have stayed out longer,I know you wave boy`s love it rough!.
Seriously for a second,my limited inter-idiot skills don`t stretch as far as venturing out into the deep blue just yet,and a a consequence i`ve yet to try borth.(I keep talking of doing it though).Tell me AL ,is it worth turning up for a flatwater speed session?,cause i can deal with that.If so what wind direction and force is good(assuming i could find a way through the shore break)OR can you recomend anywhere else not a million away.
Your opinions would be greatly apreciated,I`ve only ever sailed at `Dovey and Inyslas an I`m sure I`m missing out.Thanks in advance Ian.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 14-5-2003 at 05:44 Reply With Quote
The only time you'll get flatwater speed session conditions at Borth is in E or NE winds, which will be offshore, so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you're not quite up to the waves yet, then the estuary still has a lot to offer. Sailing from this side (Ynyslas) is OK and a little more protected...although in NE's it gets completely blasted by the wind and can lead to some pretty spectacular conditions.

However, the only way you'll learn to sail in the waves is to get out there and try it. Northerly, Southerly or NW winds at Borth are best for your first attempts, but even Force 4 SW's or Westerlies would be OK on your kit. It can sometimes be relatively flat and although the whitewater would get the better of you on occassion (It catches the best out now and then) it wouldn't do too much harm. Besides theres rarely a proper swell, so in lightish winds there isn't too mcuh difference to sailing a windy day in the estuary. The shallowly shelving beach also means that unless the water is up on the pebbles, there is no mean shorebreak. Its pretty safe here with 4 miles of sandy shallowly shelving beach to play with, so just give it a go.

Al.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy