Member #: 193
Posts 45

Mood:

posted on 24-4-2003 at 07:28 Reply With Quote
sails quivver spacing

Hi

Looking at revamping all my sub 6m sails

Was originally thinking of 5.7, 5.0, 4.5

But after speaking to a wondusrfing pal who is super dedicated - he recommends going 5.7, 5.3, 4.7, 4.2

ignoring the fact that of the cost of an additonal sub5m sail in the latter option - what do you think? I thought the 5.7 to 5.3 gap is too small (esp since the next gap down i bigger?) But he argues that most of his favourtite sailing is in the 5-6m range - so plan the quivver to get that just right...

Indeed - in the past i have notice my old sail (5.8m - 5.0m) that the gap was a bit big and whislt over powered on my 5.8 i hardly got enough wind for my 5.0?

Any recommendations / thoughts?

Ta,
Ste

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 24-4-2003 at 08:04 Reply With Quote
Quiver spacing depends on the type of sail more than anything and there is a lot to be said for having a range from the same manufacturer as different sail makers build their sails with more or less power depending on the style.

Gun sails have a nice quiver plan generator on their site, read the instructions and give it a try:

click here

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

ste
Hot shot

Member #: 193
Posts 45

Mood:

posted on 24-4-2003 at 09:20 Reply With Quote
Sails are probably going to be North wave sails - North Instinct maybe for 5.7 and then perhaps Superstar for all the others as it might be less pully.

Thanks for the link to the calculator - but im really after insight from peoples experience of using the quivver ranges like the ones i sugested and if they agree or not with my mates rationale (I already appreciate the % spacing that the sail sizes imply).

By the way - im 85 kg and will prob use with a 100 liter freestyle (in patner to a 6.5) and 80-85 litre wave board for UK coastal sailing

Ta,
Ste

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 24-4-2003 at 11:11 Reply With Quote
well in that case I can help.

I'm currently sailing a 100l board at the coast with a biggest sail of 6.4 Trixx I change straight down from that to my 5.4 NR. I find both those sails quite tuneable so they cover the range well. I have a 6m supersonic but I only use it occasionally with my old slalom board.

My next size down is a 5.0 which I have used on the 100l board but it probably too small, I'm 85kg too so when it's 5m weather I change down boards anyway. I swap between my 5m, and 4.5m (both NR's) more dependant on the sea state than the wind though.

hope that helps a little.

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 24-4-2003 at 12:44 Reply With Quote
Just jumping in -

Thanks - this is a good thread, with some useful info, I like the Gun site.

As usual - I have a set of sails that don't match up to what I want, but they will [have to] do.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 24-4-2003 at 18:23 Reply With Quote
My sub 4m sails are the same size as your original plan:

5.7m, 5.0m, 4.5m 9All Gun Wave MC's.. I'd like a 4m one too, as my next ione down for those mad days is a 3.4m.

This range works well for me (coastal sailing). I use the 5.7m with my 99ltr Cross (A long with my 6.3m), all of them with my Hifly 265 if I feel likt some flat water blasting and the 5.0m and 4.5m with my 70ltr wave board.

Its ounds to me as though the 5.3-5.7m gap is a little small. You'll spend all your time on it wondering if the other one would be better for the conditions.

Having a closely spaced quiver does sound nice if your bank balance/ van is big enough, but it also makes sail choice a little more difficult.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 10-5-2003 at 07:31 Reply With Quote
been trying to get gear down to minimum , so rather then constantyl rerigging sails from large quiver just been swapping boards its quicker and a lot easier .
currenty use a 6.7m on a freestyle if its light winds .
THEN my options open up as wind increases 6.1m on freestyle/wave board 14-20 mph
5.3m on wave board 88l / wave 72l 18-30
4.2m on 72l when its really blowing !

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy