Dumper
Grommet

Member #: 195
Posts 6

Mood:

posted on 23-4-2003 at 10:50 Reply With Quote
Bridport/Portland

Hi
Has anyone got any good spots for windsurfing near Bridport? Portland Harbour seems to be favourite at the moment. Are there a few car parks there and which would be best in a SW? Any other tips for Portland would be great. Thanks in advance
Dumper

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 23-4-2003 at 12:40 Reply With Quote
Dumper take a ook at this thread as someone asked exactly the same question a few weeks ago.

Portland would be the location of choice around there. and is perfect for flat (very flat) water blasting in a SW. It can get a bit choppy in SE's or Easterlies, but is usaully a flat water sailing location that is perfect for perfecting those carve gybes or flat water freestyle moves. Its a pretty safe location and almost always busy. take a look through the windsurf photo gallery on this site for some photos from Portland if you like.

As far as facilties / car aprks go at Portland, then check this thread out which highlights some of the recent changes there (make your own mind up as to whether they are for the better or not.)

Basically there are two car parks...the Ferrybridge boatyard car park or the bigger car park on the other side of the road. Crosing the road from the later can be a bit of a nightmare, but the ferrybridge car park is more expensive and gets full quite quickly.

Hope this helps, and have fun.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 23-4-2003 at 16:03 Reply With Quote
Hi Dumper,

I was a Charmouth near Bridport over the Easter weekend and I have asked people down there where to sail. As already mentioned in the travel thread Portland is good for flat water balsting. I have sailed there in a NE and it was not bad at all. Charmouth has its own beach access with a big parking lot and it should be good for anything around SW which would be onshore. I'll try it (provided I'll have the right kind of wind) on Thursday 1st of May until Sa 03rd. I was told all of Chesil Beach which is the SW facing beach towards Portland is not good for windsurfing as there are 2 knot tidal currents about. From what I saw this beach also tends to have shore break as the water drops to quite some depth just beyond the shoreline.
Hope that helps a little.

Joe

Dumper
Grommet

Member #: 195
Posts 6

Mood:

posted on 23-4-2003 at 21:21 Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot for the info guys, i'll give it a go at the weekend hopefully!
Dumper

Robbie

Member #: 4
Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 24-4-2003 at 05:33 Reply With Quote
Let us know how you get on. You'll love it at Portland as its a classic windsurfing venue, unless you're a bit of a wave head then you'll find it a little tame and boring.

Looks like theres wind on its way though.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy