justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-4-2003 at 13:45 Reply With Quote
Carving 360's

Does anyone know how to do them??

I was trying them yesterday in what was probably perfect conditions to learn them (flat water and nicely powered up with a 5.7m on a 100 litre board).

I was going into the crave OK, raking the sail back and continuing to carve hard into the turn, stepping forward of the mast foot with my front foot and getting backwinded, but then I just seemed to stop and was stuck there back-winded and no longer moving. Not being too good at sailing back-winded I couldn't quite work out how to get the board to continue turning until it was facing directly into the wind, so I just kind of balanced there for a bit before either falling in to windward on top of my sail or getting backwinded completely and thrown to leeward. Often as I was still in a position to carve the board around on its rail the board would just tip onto its side once I ran out of speed.

Do I need to go into it with more speed to keep the carving momentum going, and carve a tighter arc as well?? Or is the last bit of the carve to the head to wind position done by subtle sail trim whilst back-winded??

I'll get there in the end.. I did only try about 20, and if the number of times I had to try to carve gybe before making one is anything to go by I'm gonna have to have a few more dunkings yet. Still, it ws fun trying and I enjoyed the carving sensation.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 22-4-2003 at 13:56 Reply With Quote
If I remember rightly it's something of a trick at the end to push the board round with your feet and oversheet the sail to pull on the the last big. you've got to be going VERY fast to actually carve all the way round.

At least thats how I remember it from the "showing off" video's, my own personal experience only ever got me as far as your getting.

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 22-4-2003 at 20:28 Reply With Quote
One of the instructors at at Moonbeach last year was doing loads of 360's but I guess that doesn't help

befs

IainO
Pro

Member #: 153
Posts 93

Mood: Closer to the sea now

posted on 23-4-2003 at 08:28 Reply With Quote
I found that you have to be going into them flat out and very broad. Carve hard and rake the rig back so it is brushing against your rear shin and you really bend your knees (over exaggerated lay down gybe stance). Controll the back winded rig with a straight front arm and flexible back arm and step forward when 3/4 of the way round. The key to finishing off is to throw the rig forward and drop low (low centre of gravity) as you would when tacking a small board to bear off the wind.

Having said all that, I am only making about 10% after trying them for the first time in a couple of years (I used to get about 50%). As with all these moves you need someone to watch you or video you to correct your mistakes quicker.

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 26-4-2003 at 07:47 Reply With Quote
cant do em , but on the harty video " showing off " there is a good breakdown of the move . If you lived locallly could lend but alas your a forenier, any way the one thing he does say contarty to all the advice you,ve been given is dont go into flat out!
i should have a windsurf mag here somewhere with a technique article on i,ll dig out ,scan and send to u

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 26-4-2003 at 07:50 Reply With Quote
Cool...Cheers Kelvin.

I have got 'Showing Off' somewhere, but as we're living in a caravan at the mo its in a box stored in someones garage. (I hope)... I was only allowed to keep my windsurfing DVDs out, not the videos!

BTW... How do you work out that I'm a foreigner??? Aren't you in the same country as me??

Al.

tom
Beach Bum

Member #: 196
Posts 27

Mood:

posted on 26-4-2003 at 12:39 Reply With Quote
dont take my word for it still look it up and this gives u a chance to look at all those vids and a picture is a thousand words
1.first of all head well off the wind so u dont have to carve round as far.
2.start calving hard
3.hard to say when you bring your weight forward then your feet i think it depends on speed carid through and how far you get roun befor you come of plane
4if you dont get far enough round and are backwinding the sail if you put the sail to the back of the board i pushis it round so heading mor in to wind
5this next bit i find hard u have to push the sail forward so and bring it round so that you are in to some thing like the normal sailing position

i just typed this all out then read through the coments again and it looks like i just said more or less what Iain said any way have fun trying

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 30-4-2003 at 21:04 Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone... I've had a read through the 4 page articel in a recent Wndsurf magazine dedicated to carving 360's as well... It must be difficult if they can devote 4 pages to it!!

I'll have to dog out my copy of 'Showing Off' soon as well, then I'll have no excuses for not going for it and hopefully soon pulling one off. Now all I need is some decent wind and flat water to give it a go.

Don't worry, if I ever do one I'll be sure to tell you!!!

Al.

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 1-5-2003 at 11:36 Reply With Quote
I've got a copy of 'Showing off' I could lend you.

I don't know why cos I can't do any of the things they talk about

Maybe we could both watch it and you can tell me what the hell is going on. Otherwise I'll just keep going 'there and back again' in straight lines.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy