ste
Hot shot

Member #: 193
Posts 45

Mood:

posted on 22-4-2003 at 12:58 Reply With Quote
Skate 100 or Cross 100

Thinking about a new 100 litre cross or skate....and cant decide

I know the skate is freestyle and so has straps more inbound. The cross is more conventional with more outbound straps...but find it difficult to translate this into what i would like....

Want the board to have max fun with a 6.5 - 5.7 before i go onto wave board.
Want it for jumping and waves and blasting

The more adventurous side of me says skate; the more conservative says cross...

Boards mag seemed to really rate the skate; Windsurf mag loves the cross

Anyone atcually tried both??

Regards
Ste

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-4-2003 at 13:21 Reply With Quote
I have!!!

be careful with the Skate as to which year you get...last years (2002) was less freestyley, this years is more so. As far as I'm concerned, both are pretty good all round boards, this years Skate is pretty freesytle orientated and not as fast as the cross nor as controllable in higher winds.

Unless you really want to be doing freestyle tricks (and pretty good ones at that) then I'd say the cross is probably a better bet. Its more comfortable for normal blasting and has a wider sailing range. The footstraps positioning isn't that much of an issue as the cross has some pretty inboard positions on it. The cross should also be OK for freestyle, or at least the sort of freestyle tricks most of us are likely to be doing!! So, as well as being manouverable enough for tircks, its also fairly fast and a genrally good all round board. I've used mine in onshore wave conditions up to about 5 foot as well... It coped well and is actually pretty easy to coax out through the surf and up over the whitewater. You can always stick a small freestyle fin on it to loosen it up as well.

Unless you plan on doing tricks like Spock 540's and making that your emphasis etc then I would imagine the Cross 100 would fit your needs.

Best idea though would be to get a go on both of them at a demo day or by asking your local retailer nicely... Everyone has different sailing styles and preferences and the only real way to find out which you'll like best is to 'suck it and see'.

One thing to bear in mind though is that they are both pretty good boards so you probably won't be disappointed with either.

Hope that helps.
Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

ste
Hot shot

Member #: 193
Posts 45

Mood:

posted on 21-5-2003 at 08:07 Reply With Quote
I have gone for the skate 100....the key reason being that i know the cross is gonna be replaced this year; and i want to concentrate on aerial stuff and carving than blasting. Besides - both design are sposed to be excellent.

My only concern really is how the skate will feel in chop...and how forgiving it will be for gybing in messy water states. I will pick it up later this week and hopefully report after the weekend.

Ste

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 24-5-2003 at 09:12 Reply With Quote
My mate Andy tried both... he much preferred the Cross. I tired the Cross and liked it too, but didn't try the Skate. I think he said the Skate was too Jittery for his liking.
MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Member #: 72
Posts 79

Mood: needing time out

posted on 24-5-2003 at 12:29 Reply With Quote
I have the Cross 110 and love it: Planes early, is extremely loose, carves well, is well balanced (even I can tack it occasionally!). Can't say about the Skate - Boards have tested all 3 of them this year and raved about them, but they also liked the Cross's, too (but not the 2001 versions).

[Edited on 24-5-2003 by MartinF]

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy