Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-4-2003 at 06:02 Reply With Quote
60ft French Waves!!

Sunday Times Article:
quote:

FREAK WEATHER MAKES EUROPE 60FT-WAVE SURFER'S PARADISE
By Maurice Chittenden, The Sunday Times, 20 April 2003

BIG-WAVE surfing, the sport that has been the almost exclusive preserve of Hawaii, California and Bondi Beach, was yesterday forced to take a new kid on board: Europe.
Freak weather conditions have seen some of the biggest waves in memory lashing the Atlantic coastline this spring. A 20ft-high wave was surfed in Guernsey last month. But the "daddy" of them all was a wave the height of a six- storey building, ridden off the French coast by two surfers who had tracked satellite weather pictures of the swirling front of an intense low pressure system across the ocean from Newfoundland.

The storm sent a 25ft swell racing ahead of it at 35mph towards the coast of Europe. Its waves peaked in height as they hit a reef off the coast in the French Basque country.

The Americans are not amused. The French feat was greeted with boos yesterday at an international awards ceremony for surfers in Anaheim, California. Photographs of the wave were studied for three hours by judges who measured it at 64ft high. It was just 2ft short of the season's record, a 66-footer successfully ridden at a famed spot for ferocious waves, nicknamed "Jaws", off Maui in Hawaii.

The ceremony was held as an offshoot of the Billabong Odyssey, a three-year-old hunt sponsored by a surfwear company to capture a 100ft-high wave for a $500,000 (£318,000) prize.

The Americans are scornful of the waves surfed last month at Belharra Reef, two miles off the French resort of St Jean de Luz. The audacity of France at seeking to take the surfing crown from America at a time when the Iraq conflict was brewing has upset sensitivities on the beach.

"The French have a lot of good things, but military backbone and big waves aren't included," said one of the postings on an internet message board set up by Surfer magazine.

Eddie Rothman is a Hawaiian surfing icon whose 18-year-old son Makua won $66,000 yesterday for riding the winning wave off Maui. "The French wave is beautiful but there's no trough on it," Rothman said. "It's mushy. I'd take my nine-year-old son out to tow into that wave. I'm 55 and I want to ride that wave. But no way would you get me out at Jaws."

The French are unmoved at suggestions that their wave was less dangerous. Fred Basse, one of the French surfers, said: "Riding this wave, it was like going down a huge ski slope. But with an avalanche behind you."

So can surfers in Cornwall this summer expect such high waves? "Not quite," said Dave Reed, a director of the British Surfing Association, which estimates that 250,000 Britons will go surfing this year. "The highest wave ridden in the UK is about 16ft. The Atlantic shelf around the coast protects us from a massive swell."

And heres a photo of it... Not quite Jaws, but still bloody big!!

Al.

justal has attached this image:

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 6-9-2003 at 18:17 Reply With Quote
I do not believe it! I do not believe it! Ok...calm down...breath...in and out.
My days, that is huge for France. Tell me justal, where abouts in France was this?
When i saw that picture...my heart stopped...i'm stoked!
I read it was in Basque country, (that's where i'm going next year!), but where is it exactly justal?

Airborne.

[Edited on 6-9-2003 by Airborne]

underdog
Beach Bum

Member #: 321
Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2003 at 20:42 Reply With Quote
I have never seen any photos of anything like that in Europe
Angry_Apple
Pro

Can't put my finger on it Award 2003

Member #: 272
Posts 75

Mood: angry....yet content

posted on 7-9-2003 at 21:14 Reply With Quote
Bloody Hell! I would turn white if I saw that huge wave! I swear, I would! I feel like puking now Ive seen that 'sick' wave, still Im not sure what type of 'sick' Im thinking of! Global warming and all that weather complications are sreally started to kik in!! First the heat -wave, now the 'sick' wave? What is the world coming to!?!
Amazed_Apple
:-O

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 8-9-2003 at 13:56 Reply With Quote
Airborne wrote:

"I read it was in Basque country, (that's where i'm going next year!), but where is it exactly justal?"

The billabong XXL web has more info on the place.
<http://www.billabongxxl.com/>
I wouldn't worry about the other spots getting as big as the waves will either shrink as they hit the continental plate or close out.

I'd be worried about the tow-in craze hitting Europe. Imagine guys towing in to your local break sneaking in on the inside, along with the fumes and fuel leaks.

Mex. Bandit

NatB
Hot shot

Member #: 18
Posts 57

Mood: eager for waves

posted on 8-9-2003 at 16:00 Reply With Quote
Belharra is 2 miles off St Jean de Luz.

The missus said if I go surfing one more time she would leave me, God I am gonna miss her!!

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 10-9-2003 at 17:10 Reply With Quote
Thanks all. I know what you mean Angry_Apple.
Airborne.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy