welshtrowy
Hot shot

Member #: 6588
Posts 38

Mood: no skills but willing

posted on 18-8-2008 at 21:41 Reply With Quote
Aberdovey first sail?

Hi all,

Havent posted on here for a while but looking to come down and sail for the first time at Aberdovey, I'm an Improver/early intermediate pond skater that wants to get on the sea and can put it off no longer. I'm in the harness planing occassionally not in the straps well back one anyway and sail a 162 carve.

As you can probably tell i have a certain amount of trepidation about it. I'm just looking for some local info pointers etc....

http://www.365days35lbs.blogspot.com

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 19-8-2008 at 05:55 Reply With Quote
Aberdovey should be an ideal place to start as you can launch from close to the slipway in town into flat water so you aren't sailing on the sea anyway.

However, the main thing to be a ware of is the state of the tide and the strength of the current as that will probably be something you aren't used to and it can be pretty strong, especially in the channel there. Not only does the current take you with it but it also affects the water state and on a big tide at maximum ebb or flow it an get pretty choppy in the channel. And as always the windier it is the more pronounced this can be.

On relatively calm days though and smallish tides it should be a good place to start getting to grips with coastal sailing, although in these conditions it will be little different to sailing on a lake unless you head out towards the waves at Graveyards slightly further around the coast towards Tywyn.

Don't go on your own if you aren't completely sure of your abilities. (I would say ALWAYS sail with someone else, but as I rarely do I can't really tell others to do so!), watch out for the currents and have fun! Best wind direction will really be W or SW as that will allow you to sail out into the channel and give you a fairly clean wind. Until you know what you are doing then I would avoid the Easterlies there (especially on an outgoing tide) as you could end up out at sea faster than you expect!

You can also sail in the estuary on the Ynyslas side. At high tide here there is a large expanse of flat and relatively shallow water and in an E or NE wind it is a great place to sail and as long as you stay within the confines of the bay it is pretty safe too.

Once you fancy getting out into the sea proper you can sail from Graveyards on the Aberdovey side, Tywyn or anywhere from Borth and Ynyslas... But you probably have a way to go before you'll be ripping it up in the waves.

Let us know how you get on.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

welshtrowy
Hot shot

Member #: 6588
Posts 38

Mood: no skills but willing

posted on 19-8-2008 at 17:45 Reply With Quote
Thanks Al, I have a friend who is an intermediate so i wont be alone. I have sailed in the lagoon at dahab and at esso beach. as aberdovey is the same distance as chasewater i really want to make it my regular haunt so looking forward to getting down in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.365days35lbs.blogspot.com

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 20-8-2008 at 04:44 Reply With Quote
Cool... If you fancy someone else to sail with then I'm usually up for a session from the Borth / Ynyslas side.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy