Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Calling all surfers
sarahjb

Member #: 190
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 17-4-2003 at 13:53 Reply With Quote
Calling all surfers

Hey all. I am currently doing some research into surfing. I need to know everything there is to know! Firstly, who is the ultimate surfing hero? And if he's/she's not British, the ultimate surfing hero from the UK. Secondly I need to know all about the surfing festival in Newquay. What happens when people aren't surfing etc? Whats down there to do? etc. What brands are really cool at the moment etc. Any info please let me know.
El Nino
Hot shot

Member #: 8
Posts 30

Mood: Turbulent

posted on 19-4-2003 at 15:25 Reply With Quote
Research??... For yourself because you are interested, or for some other reason??

Surfing Hero has to be Laird Hamilton and I know a few others on here agree... I don't have a British Surfing Hero and I don't know anything about the Surfing Festival in Newquay. I try to avoid the place if at all possible.

What happens when people aren't surfing... In Newquay I guess they get pissed and party etc. Elsewhere they just get pissed off waiting for waves and watch their surf heros on video whilst dreaming of far off waves.

What brands are really cool??... I think you'll find that most real surfers will kind of avoid brands that are seen to be cool as cool means popular which then means uncool... So the 'cool brands' thing doesn't really work as far as surfers are concerned.

I bet none of this has helped has it!!

EN

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-4-2003 at 18:11 Reply With Quote
sarahjb....

Just noticed you were in the chat room asking the same questions. the surname you were after is 'Naish'... And he's pretty good!!!

Although he's really a windsurfing hero not a surfing hero. Min you, he can surf better than most as well, and is pretty handy at kite-surfing too.

So what is this fascination with surfing heros??

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

sarahjb

Member #: 190
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 23-4-2003 at 08:35 Reply With Quote
Hi there. Thanks for your reply.

Basically I am doing some research for work. We are looking into the possibility of running a surf related promotion.

Any information on surfing would be great. I need to get my head round the whole way of life and interest in the sport etc. Who the hero's are, what is cool to wear, where is the best beach in the world to surf, etc, etc.

I know this is a bit vague!

Thanks again!

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 23-4-2003 at 11:16 Reply With Quote
I guess it would depend who your target audience is for the promotion, as there are people who surf for fun and people who surf because it's "cool and trendy". I think you'll find more people here that surf because they enjoy it, rather than the large numbers who just want to get into a kewl scene.

In answer to your questions, my favourite surfer is Laird since he pushes the boundaires of the sport more than most, as for british surfing hero's I guess it's probably all those nameless faces that make it to the beach at first light whatever the weather to surf, rather than to pose.

As for what's cool to wear, I have no idea most of the folk I surf with only ever seem to buy "surf clothes" when the season ends and it's all reduced.

Best beach, well for me it's one away from crowds of people either at dawn or dusk with a nice clean swell.

What happens when folk aren't surfing well I guess most of us, pray for surf or just get irratable that there aren't any waves.

Good luck finding out about the Newquay festivals, personally I don't visit Newquay between Easter and Autumn as there are just TOO many people.

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 23-4-2003 at 12:57 Reply With Quote
OK.... surfing hero HAS to be Laird, simply because he is so at home in ridiculous waves, surfs all waves well, whether on a longboard, short board or being towed into a monster on a strapped board. He also windsurfs pretty well too... If you want to see what he's all about then get his video (appropriately entitled 'Laird').... He has the respect of most of the other top surfers in the world too for the things he does on critical waves.

As far as cool clothing etc. goes then as Paul has pointed out, most 'real surfers' aren't really into that scene, they just wear whatever is comfortable, casual and cheap. The 'pseudosurfers' who wear all the surf kit (and are likely to be the people at the Newquay surf festival) however fall into various categories themselves. Some haven't got a clue... You can spot them because they'll wear 'Fat Willies' 'T'-shirts and if they do decide to go surfing will wear their wetsuit back to front!!

Others wear all the names such as O'Neill, Billabong, Oxbow and Quiksilver, usually drive either a 4-Wheel drive Frontera etc. or a Golf GTi, might have a nice looking surfboard on the roof, but would only ever get in the water in the summer when the surf is small.... These however are likely to be your target audience as they do have money to spend and WILL spend it on somehting that is so-called cool and surf related!.. They can't get enough of it and want to be seen as surfers.

Real surfers tend to wear anything they can get their hands on at a reduced price, as long as its not too brightly coloured. They will wear the names such as those mentioned above (but certainly not Fat Willies) and also less well known brands such as O'shea, Saltrock etc. It all depends what they do as a 'day-job' really as they come from all wlaks of life and are difficult to stereotype.. Some are typical beach-bums with no work and no money, some could be high powered executives... All will have an eye on the surf though and will be onin the water as soon as the swell get up. They tend to drive beaten up vans or estate cars... But some will drive normal everyday cars. The main difference is that they wouldn't be seen at the Newquay Surf Festival and don't follow the crowd.

Best beach in the world is a difficult one.... There are plenty of waves I would love to surf, (J-Bay, quite a few in Indo.) most of which I wouldn't have the skill to do so though... Usually my favourite beach is the one I'm at when you ask me.

Hope some of this helps... What will you be promoting using the Newquay Surf Festival??

Al.

Gramp

Member #: 201
Posts 3

Mood:

posted on 29-4-2003 at 21:33 Reply With Quote
New on here (no excuse tho')

Well I don't know what catagory I would fall into looking at previous posts.
I have been surfing for 9 years now, OK so I live in the Midlands but used to go down Cornwall at least twice a month (a few years back now tho').
When I started I didn't tend to go for the Quicksilver, O'neill etc etc, but as time progressed I did, and still do (my choice).
We used to drive down in my old '73 Volkswagen camper 4 of us, boards on roof (you get the picture lol ).
My best break, would be a toss up between Watergate and Croyde.
As for favorite or best surfer, in my eyes all surfers are stars in their own right, OK so you get your Kelly Slater's getting X amount here, X amount there, but at the end of the day we are all in it for the same reason, and in my opinion we are all one.
Now I will be in Newquay at the time of the festival, BUT the main reason that I will be there is for Run To The Sun, (these old Volkswagens just won't let me go), and I know for a fact that I won't be surfing as history will tell, the weekend is nearly always flat. (but I may take my windsurfer).

All I can say about promotion is, just give the stuff away, it works last year I ended up with 12 bottles of that Alive orange juice stuff, just what I needed after walking through the town and sitting on the Fistral most of the day.

Gramp

(please give genourously)

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 30-4-2003 at 06:19 Reply With Quote
You've got a point there Gramp... I think the category you are in can and probably does change as you get older.

I started surfing about 17 years ago and did buy some of the brand names 'T'-Shirts... Ocean Pacific was the cool stuff to have back then, but then again, surf brand names weren't really mainstream like they are now. I used to go to Croyde all the time and so used to get Saltrock clothes as well, which were even less well known and kinda cool.

Once I started windsurfing I bought a few windsurf branded clothes.... including that horrible pink and orange Neil Pryde jacket that has been mentioned here before (which cost a fortune).

I then started working in Croyde and the only clothes available to buy were surf related ones...The surf culture had hit big time in Croyde in the early 90's. By now though I wasn't earning much money (but did spend ALL day EVERY day) on the beach so just had to buy stuff out of the bargain bin.

I then started printing my own 'T'-Shirts and thats what I wear now...unique, individual and cheap... Perfect.

I must admit I did go to Run to the Sun once in my early 20's, but don't remember much about it....kinda like my Glastonbury visits too!! I now spend most of my time trying to avoid large collections of people and seeking quiet undisturbed beaches with decent wind and waves... Maybe I am getting old!!

Al.

Burgy
Hot shot

Member #: 28
Posts 57

Mood: Cheesy ;)

posted on 9-5-2003 at 13:36 Reply With Quote
I'm not a surfer, In fact the only time I surf is cause, the tides come in at pendine, the Ho, rhossili etc & I cant kite anymore, not enough wind to kite, that sort of thing. I spend a most of my time in 2foot mushy crap, usualy with just a few buddys

I've always found surfing cultre to have a lot of different boxes. some people are really cool & helpfull, others just want to play the cooler than you thing & thats pretty much what you find in Newquay. Its ashame cause in recent times the cooler than you set seem to be on the rise, last time I was there it felt like a cross between a fashion show & a stag night. We got so pissed with wanabe fashion victims we went to dartmore for the weekend.

UK surfing hero is my bud chris cause hes soo stoked on the sport after all the many years hes been doing it, the buggers gone to ireland this weekend.

All time hero, its hard to think of anyone other than laird, that hydrofoil board he rides is totaly amasing. actualy anyone you see on those little Mpegs that are just all wave & this little wake ripping back & forth get my vote, I cant even imagen what thats like.

I'll stop droning on now, just a bit bored at work really. No trips away for me till the end of may but then were off kitesurfing at la frank'e on the french med coast. no waves but lots of glassy water, cross on & going out in shorts, mmm

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy