Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: To kite surf or not to kite surf
Axis

Member #: 7742
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 17-7-2008 at 21:05 Reply With Quote
To kite surf or not to kite surf

I have been windsurfing for many years, and was considering that kiting could initially provide a better alternative in the transition F4-F5 weather. Sailing without surf does not interest me (one small wave board only) so believe I will be aiming for a mutant or directional board. I am planning to have at least a 1 or 2 day coarse to set me off in the right direction.

Can anyone provide some guidance if it would be sensible to get mutant or directional board for learning or if I would be better to get a standard board to start with, if there are particular kites which are more suited surfing and if they would work to learn on and also the likely time it could take to be competent go out in small waves?

I would also be interested any experiences of other windsurfers who have made the switch.

Cheers

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 18-7-2008 at 06:46 Reply With Quote
itd deffo do see you having fun in lighter winds, and wave riding with large de power kites is as close to real surfing as youll get. As much as Im sure youll end up on a surf style directional, the agility and fun of a twin tip is always great!

talk to Al on here je does both, or used to.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 18-7-2008 at 06:47 Reply With Quote
I made the switch years ago (1999) when kitesurfing was new on the scene and the kit wasn't up to much. Did it for several years (probably about 5 altogether) as well as windsurfing, but then as the kit improved and things got safer I got a bit bored with it and went back to windsurfing only.

I'm fortunate enough to live on the beach though so can pick and choose when I go out. For those who have to travel to the beach kiting makes more sense simply because you can get out and have fun in lighter winds as well. I simply don't have the time to get out in light winds as well as windsurf when its properly windy, if I did then I'm sure I'd get a kite out of the shed. Windsurfing is more challenging so I stuck with that..

You should pick it up in no time, especially if you have a few lessons. I learnt to fly the kite on land first and then on my first ever attempt on the water (on a converted surfboard) was up and planing and in control within the first few minutes. Watch out though, many people who make the change end up mainly kitesurfing!

If you've got the time and the money then do it... More toys, more time on the water, more skills... You're a winner all round.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 18-7-2008 at 15:28 Reply With Quote
Dude,

I've windsurfed and kitsurfed for many years and still get a lot out of both sports.

I still windsurf at when I'm at work (Draycotewater) But I always kite at the coast now. In the begining I used to think that waveriding was better on a windsurfer, But now I prefer to ride with a kite.

Most of us still ride in high winds, its just more dangerous on a kite in 30 knts +. You can't just let go and jump off if it goes wrong like you can on a windsurfer.

As Al says, you may get hooked and sell your windsurf kit!

Good luck

Dunk

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy