Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: JP Freeride 159 FWS
stop falling in

Member #: 184
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 7-4-2003 at 18:35 Reply With Quote
JP Freeride 159 FWS

Any body got any comments on the above board i would like to purchase one all comments welcome
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 7-4-2003 at 21:27 Reply With Quote
I don't know anything first hand as its not the sort of board I'd sail around here, but I have heard that some of the JP Freestyle or freeride boards seem a little fragile as far as the construction goes. However their performance on the water is top notch.

Not so much a freestlye board though as its quite quick I think and fairly directional. It has pretty good early planing performance too.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

El Nino
Hot shot

Member #: 8
Posts 30

Mood: Turbulent

posted on 8-4-2003 at 07:01 Reply With Quote
Stop Falling In...

Have you seen the JP website??

This is taken straight from it... They are obviously just a little biased:

quote:

The Freeride range is designed with one clear target in mind - maximum light wind performance and a wide range in which the boards shall be fun to sail.
CHARACTERISTICS
Planing
Werner Gnigler optimized the planing potential.
Now the Freerides plane even earlier and it takes less effort and experience to get going. Not only the novice to short board sailing will profit from it.
The well rounded rails and sufficient amount of nose rocker makes them very comfortable and smooth because they keep clear of any chop. Acceleration and speed help the boards to power through lulls.
The new deck and rail shape in conjunction with the thick, comfortable Heel Pads provide a solid and powerful connection to the boards allowing you to drive particularly hard.
The long flat bottom induces high speed, which easily can be handled due to the thin hulls.
Therefore the new Freeride designs offer a wider range of use: One the one hand they plane earlier and on the other they offer an improved handling when the wind picks up.
The FREERIDEs are not specially designed for upwind or downwind sailing. Nevertheless they still perform in this category shooting upwind in a slightly flatter angle but with more speed. Overall they deliver a upwind performance which only the best of modern formula-oriented boards can match.
Handling & Maneuvers
Werner Gnigler focused on maneuvers. He states that most of the modern light wind performance designs miss a nice balance between planing an maneuvers. Here the JP FRs are a standout as they deliver performance AND maneuverability.
First of all they are easy to handle for the less experi-enced sailor as the boards are wide to offer a sufficient platform for learning.
And secondly their thin rails positively carve through fast maneuvers. Their "moderate" widths still allow to steer in a "normal" power jibe like way or execute a laydown jibe, and do not force the sailor to adapt his jibing to the very uncomfortable, super-wide-stance formula style of cornering.
Freestyle
These boards allow the first steps towards the classic moves, power- and like duck jibe, body drag, carving 360 or chop hops.
Waves
When sailing on the ocean, you can turn up and down a decent sized swell and get used to the motion of the water.
All 3 boards are based on the same shape principles.
They are only differentiated by size.
The shape concept is adapted to conditions and sail sizes.

SHAPE
Hull
The boards are thinner resulting in increased control, because the sailor stands closer to the water. This is especially important when the wind picks up.
Outline
The width of the FRs has clearly increased. Also the tail got wider resulting in a parallel outline. This increases the early planing potential the boards' planing power in light winds as well as smoothness, tracking and grip when going upwind.
Bottom
Increased width in combination with the long flat planing area gets the FRs planing early and they effortless plane through lulls. The flat planing section in the middle of the boards together with the control from the thin hull provide great acceleration and incredible top end speed already in light winds.
Rails
The rails got thinner this year (but they are still full enough for early planing and to handle the power of big sails). It is now easier to initiate a jibe and the FRs carve better trough the turn. More "tuck" in the forward rail area improves the smooth ride and forgivingness when speeding as well as in maneuvers.
Straps
Optimized strap positions for more comfort in both, freeride and allround setting.
Channel Bottom
It still gives the boards the great combination of early planing, high speed and great maneuverability.

OTHERS
Double Heel Pads
The boards come with very thick Double Heel Pads (10 mm) for increased comfort and smoother ride. Your back and your ankles will love it. You can rap your heel round the rail and drive the board hard, which results in a more locked stance and thrust extra power.
Center Deck Pad
The Freeride Carves in Full Wood Sandwich Technology come with a pad between the front and rear footpad ?± what can we say? "Enjoy the comfort."
Technology?ù/ Performance
The boards in Full Wood Sandwich technology offer a greater ding resistance. Being much lighter and stiffer their handling and planing potential are also superior to those of the Epoxy Sandwich line.

El Nino

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 8-4-2003 at 17:44 Reply With Quote
think your being a little hard on the JP, Al I,ve got a pair of them and so far have found them great as this custom type construction goes . Coming from a guy that has succesfully trashed every board hes had thier not going bad . Think it depends where you are on the learning curve , if your still banging the boom on the nose during falls I,d stay away from any board with this type of construction .
(excluding that very old alfa which I think was solid plastic )
quote:
Originally posted by justal
I don't know anything first hand as its not the sort of board I'd sail around here, but I have heard that some of the JP Freestyle or freeride boards seem a little fragile as far as the construction goes. However their performance on the water is top notch.

Not so much a freestlye board though as its quite quick I think and fairly directional. It has pretty good early planing performance too.

Al.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 8-4-2003 at 19:24 Reply With Quote
Well, I'm sure thats what 'Stop Falling Off' wants to hear. My info was second hand, so yours has to be more accurate.

Talking of indestructable plastic boards, I've got a Hifly 255 wave with a snapped nose.... Unfortunately I can't say it was the result of a big wipe-out in gnarly conditions as it happened in the post, but it looks good! Personally I'm usually quite gentle on my boards, but as most people here will know I did have an F2 Max2Air that cracked or got dinged every time I used it... Its since been replaced by a Fanatic Cross, which despite arriving with a crack on its nose hasn't sustained any damage in my hands.... I shouldn't have said that!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy