Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: Kite prices, what will you pay????
shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 31-3-2008 at 21:11 Reply With Quote
Kite prices, what will you pay????

Just looking at kite prices, Im wondering what people are willing to pay? I love the edge2, but am seriously put off by the price. At over 1000 pounds for a 13 meter, its a world of coin. The new Nobile kites are also nearing the Thousand pound mark for a 12 meter. Gk's prices have also gone up this year, as have flexi and others. Where as some brands are more realistically dropping prices. Lets face it we all know production costs of a inflatable kite is well under £100!!! The hadlow pro kite is actually 1100 of your hard earned pounds for a 13!! and if you use it properly its only gonna last you a year.

So whos gonna spend a grand on one kite?? Im interested

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 31-3-2008 at 21:41 Reply With Quote
There are some seriously fat greedy so and so's havin a ripe old time on the latest bandwagon whilst somebody, somewhere is just about turning a bowl of rice a day...not just kites though eh...yer kids askin you for the latest trainers at £90 a shot or possibly an Iphone...Wouldn't want to harp on but that's how capitalism works.

The majority just bow to it and thats why we are seing unmanageable debt on an unsustainable level.

I can't talk...Paid a ridiculous amount for a MTB last year but have never paid full retail for a kite as I think that the manufacturers are taking the p!$$...Still....only buy what I can aford to pay for without going into debt, would never pay a Grand for a kite though!!

When you're close to the EDGE....Trust your INSTINCT....!

REECEY
Pro

Member #: 2178
Posts 86

Mood: CARPE DIEM

posted on 31-3-2008 at 21:47 Reply With Quote
A grand a year seems a lot for a kite. That's one kite,if you have a large collection to replace,how much then. A grand on a kite,not me. I use Best kites. There good enough for me and the price is right if you buy last years model.
dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 1-4-2008 at 09:35 Reply With Quote
Personally, I’ll never pay top dollar for kites, nor will I change my kites every year.

I’ve said before, I think it takes time to get dialed into your equipment anyway.

On another note, I am thinking of changeing my kites, but what should I buy??????????

No pimping please, and bear in mind, I love my Ravens

Dunk

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

Graham
Pro

Member #: 1494
Posts 88

Mood:

posted on 1-4-2008 at 09:46 Reply With Quote
Dunk, I think Lidl have their new range in stock

Fiamma cycle racks available now at HUGE savings
http://www.everythingfiamma.co.uk

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 606

posted on 1-4-2008 at 11:32 Reply With Quote
Oh Graham, your so last year!

Didn't you see my post about the Lidl kites?

I also see Tesco's direct are doing landboards and kites for experienced flyers only. That'll count you out then matey!

He He

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 1-4-2008 at 16:58 Reply With Quote
Youll have to try me new cautions dunk, just had a epic session on them. Or check out the caution heckler.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

Fart Boy
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1459
Posts 408

Mood:

posted on 1-4-2008 at 17:03 Reply With Quote
I too love the Edge but not parting with that much cash particularly as one wave could wipe it out.

My last 06 sonic split in half in mid flight early this year only just about 2 years old and it may have been used a lot but was not crashed nearly as much as my 03 Fuel which I learnt on and was 3 years old when I had it.

Don't get me wrong though I loved my sonic and now have an 07 brand new purchased in 08 as someone was letting last years stock go before the new ones hit.

Equally the way the fuel prices are going something has to give else I won't be at the coast anyway so no need for expensive kites.

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 606

posted on 1-4-2008 at 17:30 Reply With Quote
I've been thinking more along the lines of the Naish Alliance.

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 1-4-2008 at 18:33 Reply With Quote
Back to big money if you pay new though hey dunk. Ive still got my ozones that I think are wicked, I just cant see sense in paying 300-400 more for a kite that flys the same as and is built no better than its cheaper competator. From a selling point of view, how am I ment to justify and extra 300 quid to some body thats about to buy there first kite! When that 300 quid could buy them a board.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

Loxley
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1919
Posts 382

Mood: all I need is everything...

posted on 2-4-2008 at 11:58 Reply With Quote
Well Shem you won't make any money not upselling, but a credit to you for being honest with your customers cash.

I have bought some new, some 2nd hand kites, with my oldest 'new' one being a 2003 Naish Aero 2. I am still on a mix of C's and as much as I want to try the bows, I will be looking on ebay for my next kites.

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 2-4-2008 at 15:18 Reply With Quote
ta for that, I just think people need to know that theres a choice out there, Im not in it for the money, (well thats a lie, Im obviously in it for money, but not just the money. I realise Im never gonna get rich selling kites, and am more than happy to tell my customers if other shops etc are doing deals on kit. I have a concience, probably not a good thing in buisness, but there ya go.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

danh
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1646
Posts 206

Mood: Need new toys

posted on 2-4-2008 at 16:20 Reply With Quote
yep i dont think you'll ever be on the panel of dragons den Shem thats for sure.

I've never paid full whack for my kites, and like most have picked up some real bargains when ive bought 2nd hand kit particuarly when i first started.

But there doesnt seem to be any middle ground these days on kite prices, there just seems to be around a 300quid jump from 1 group of manufacturers to the next for the same size kite. So if people get chance to demo these kites and the cheaper ones fly just aswell as the more expensive ones and are built just as well. Then i cant see why anybody would want to part with more money than they have to. Particuarly when as you say that spare cash can go on boards, etc. Or a good stern night in the dovey inn

Fat Shady
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1506
Posts 178

Mood:

posted on 2-4-2008 at 18:10 Reply With Quote
Hi Shem, Good question.

I think that most kitesurfers would prefer to change their kites regularly and keep up with the new innovations.

The main problem is that there is no second hand value in old kit. You only have to look at ebay to see that hardley anything goes much above £250 these days.

That kind of depreciation makes you think twice about spending big bucks on a new kite and makes it harder to buy new each year when you have no trade in value.

Another thing to consider is spare parts, bladders etc, I scrapped my Airblasts when I could not get spare bladders & deathbag is about to do the same with his Crossbow even though the kite is in A1 condition and has only been used a few times.

The above is probably a symtom of rapid development and market saturation (every kitesurfer already has kites).

I personally only kitesurf about a dozen times a year and can not justify paying £1000 for a kite, especially when you really need 3 sizes to ahve a reasonable chance of getting on the water after a long drive.

Having said all that, it is not all gloom & doom. Nothing feels as good as blowing up a crisp new kite and going out for a blast. Good luck to those who do, I am glad for you (they also put the second hand kit on the market for everyone else).

The only person that I know who still spends big bucks is Phill aka KBC and he really is kiteboardingcrazy

Fat Shady
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1506
Posts 178

Mood:

posted on 2-4-2008 at 18:13 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fart Boy
I too love the Edge but not parting with that much cash particularly as one wave could wipe it out.

My last 06 sonic split in half in mid flight early this year only just about 2 years old and it may have been used a lot but was not crashed nearly as much as my 03 Fuel which I learnt on and was 3 years old when I had it.

P.S Duck for cover not getting drawn in this time

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 4-4-2008 at 15:07 Reply With Quote
well i still fly my old original yargas and love'm ( Col reckons he saw them on Ben Hur , showing on tv over the easter weekend)
i bought them direct from the states when it was buy 2 and get a third free, so idid and low and behold they then offered me a demo 20mtre with a free new 7 for $475 so i did. paid the unearthly sum of ?Ǭ£350 for the 13 ....so in total had the 7,9,11,13,15,20 with 2 bar and line sets for about ?Ǭ£1750 including taxes and they are in their 4th year and i think they still go upwind?
best are still doing 3 for 2 deals now have a look!
money is easy to spend but a little harder to earn......

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 4-4-2008 at 15:29 Reply With Quote
A deal Neil, remember you getting them, the only thing that puts me off best is warrantys being sorted via the states which can take ages, as theres no direct british importer. Have you tried any of this years kites yet Neil?

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 606

posted on 4-4-2008 at 17:09 Reply With Quote
I think if you buy a set of kites, say 3, keep them for at least 3 years, as long as your getting out regularly its not really that expensive.

Its only expensive if you want to change kit all the time. I mean like you wouldn't change your car every year.

All you have to buy is kit anyway. Look at Windsurfing Inland. You have to buy all your kit then pay a Club 300 quid to sail there. I know loads of you travel to the coast, but believe it or not some people drive an hour or so to sail Inland.

I suppose there 300 quid keeps me in a job though lol!

Shem, can you do me a buy one get one free deal lol

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 606

posted on 4-4-2008 at 17:11 Reply With Quote
I think if you buy a set of kites, say 3, keep them for at least 3 years, as long as your getting out regularly its not really that expensive.

Its only expensive if you want to change kit all the time. I mean like you wouldn't change your car every year.

All you have to buy is kit anyway. Look at Windsurfing Inland. You have to buy all your kit then pay a Club 300 quid to sail there. I know loads of you travel to the coast, but believe it or not some people drive an hour or so to sail Inland.

I suppose there 300 quid keeps me in a job though lol!

Shem, can you do me a buy one get one free deal lol

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 4-4-2008 at 18:18 Reply With Quote
Dunks age must be catching you up; you have repeated your post
Hi Shem bought the 06 9mtr yarga to replace my old one when it took a pounding after the end came off my bar last year; flew it on the beach and it turned way faster but on the water was no way as good as my old version ( the later yarga had a new designer who used triangular sections in the sail, as opposed to the original rectangles; it were'nt broke so why go and try to repair it!!!!) so only flew it for about 10 mins and went in ,repaired the old 9 and have been flying it ever since...the new one rests in the garage in the van.
i have not tried the sle yarga of last year nor have i tried any others apart from the bow waroos. am stuck with my old ones till they die and then what will i do????????; i know i could buy back my old airblasts of Larry!
not coming up this weekend got toooo much real ale to catch up on and next saturday Fugly gets a 110+bhp remap on saturday morning :
oops sorry have to edit that mistake its 115+bhp

[Edited on 5/4/08 by mNeil]

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy