Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: Why is it..............?
Olly
Hot shot

Member #: 134
Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 5-3-2003 at 16:11 Reply With Quote
Why is it..............?

Is it just me or do the little weather geeks that put the forecasts online i.e. www.weatheronline.co.uk continually seek to raise my hopes by putting a decent forecast for the weekend on their sites mid week, only for the wind to result in a mere puff on saturday and sunday, barely enough to rustle a few leaves.

Most days I excitedly check the wind for the next few days, hoping for a decent bit of wind to get out sailing.

This is what usually happens:

Tues morning check the wind for the weekend, it says force 5 (my minimum for inland sailing as they always say it is stronger than it actually is)

Wednesday afternoon, check the weather, down to a force 4.

If I wait until the weekend, I can pretty much say there will not be enough wind to sail with.

It doesnt just happen with the odd weekend, it seems to happen every week. Is does anyone else find this, or is it just me?

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 5-3-2003 at 21:35 Reply With Quote
You're not the only one Olly.... Don't worry!

However, although this probably means nothing considering your post, I've just checked the forecasts for the weekend here at Borth AND...

Windguru is forecasting 21 knots SW on Sat morning, easing in the afternoon, then 20-23 knots SSW on Sunday.... Sounds good, but no doubt it will be downgraded over the next few days and will be about Force 2 by the weekend.

Weather online is saying Force 5-6 W-SW on Saturday and S-SSW Force 6 on Sunday.

Anyone going to be around....It may well happen as well because my parents are coming up for the weekend so I won't be able to spend all day at the beach.
Especially as I have to pack the house ready to move!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Member #: 72
Posts 79

Mood: needing time out

posted on 5-3-2003 at 22:19 Reply With Quote
I find onlineweather about as much use as a water-driven car: it just doesn't work. They always seem to overestimate actual conditions by at least 2 forces of wind strength, so if they're only forcasting F2 or less, it'll suck rather than blow

For Met Office generated isobaric charts, check out http://meteonet.nl/aktueel/brackall.htm
Note that this isn't the pathetic chart data the Met Office makes available on their own website, it's the chart data they provide to other met offices, the media, etc. Good of this dutch company to put it in the public domain.

WindGuru (http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php) seems to produce fairly reliable weather forecasts. Plus you can customise it & (used to be able to) add the coordinates of your favourite spots & they'd provide forecasts for there.
The best site I've found for telleing you what the wind's *actually* doing is:
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

If you find any more good and/or detailed sites, please let me know!

Cheers,
Martin

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 5-3-2003 at 22:49 Reply With Quote
Martin, those are pretty much the forecasts I use as well...although I get my charts from a different location but they are the same charts...There are links to the individual charts on the links page of this site.

I also use the met office inshore forecasts and deduct at least one force from them.

I quite often use WeatherOnline as opposed to OnlineWeather and often find that they actually underestimate the wind strength. And windguru is good and as far as I know still allows you to enter any grid ref/coordinates for a location and they give you a forecast for that location. You can also adjust the forecasts for local effects... i.e. For Ynyslas I add on 30% if the wind is NE, but deduct 15% for SE's at Borth. Once you've entered the percentages once it automatically adjust the forecasts for you which is a good little feature... I'm working on getting these forecasts built into this site and have permission from the guy who runs Windguru to use them which is pretty good of him.

The other links on the links page are a little out of date now and some of the sites have disappeared or gone drastically downhill. Magic Seaweed is a good weather/surf forecast portal, but still the best is the tree outside my window!!

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 6-3-2003 at 07:12 Reply With Quote
Looking Good for the weekend

The forecasts are actually still getting better for the weekend... I guess it could all still change though.

Heres the WindGuru forecast

It gets updated all the time but at the time of writing they were forecasting 21 -25 knots SW all through Saturday and Sunday.

I hope there are a few people planning to come to Borth??

Al.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 6-3-2003 at 11:12 Reply With Quote
The best forcast I know is the Trees and the bottem of the road where I live. I think most of these weather websites just put up a nice force 5 at the begining of the week just to wet our apitites (al can we have spell checker on here). By the looks of the forcast at the moment I may beable to leave the 8.5 m sail in the bag this weekend - "maybe"

I hope to make it to borth once the weather warms up enough to camp overnight is a bit of a long way to come for the day, about 240 miles

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 6-3-2003 at 16:53 Reply With Quote
I've got some of those tree things at the bottom of my garden too.

There is nothing better than waking up and seeing them swaying in the wind. However it is only good if you have time in the day to sail. Other than that, I have to use weather forecasts to plan when I can sail.

I have checked the above sites, pretty cool, if anybody has got any other good ones (or finds one) then share the wealth as I am fed up with getting my hopes up for a sail each weekend.

Cant make it over this weekend Al. I have loads of uni stuff to be doing. Probably wont be able to sail in borth until after 28th march

Thinking of going away for a couple of days over easter, anyone know any places worth checking out????

Olly

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 6-3-2003 at 17:02 Reply With Quote
quote:
Thinking of going away for a couple of days over easter, anyone know any places worth checking out????

I really hate to say it but why not cornwall if there is a decent wind forecast there is the triple crown wave event at Gwithian and Formula racing at Marazion.

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 6-3-2003 at 18:24 Reply With Quote
hey paul,

have you got the dates for those events?

cheers

Olly

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 6-3-2003 at 19:33 Reply With Quote
Olly...The dates are already in the Calendars on this site.... As are the rest of the UKWA events...and loads of other stuff.

18th-21st April....

Check out the UKWA website fpr more info... Although I don't think theres that much info on there at the moment.

Shame you can't make it this weekend.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 6-3-2003 at 19:47 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by badexcuseforasailor
I hope to make it to borth once the weather warms up enough to camp overnight is a bit of a long way to come for the day, about 240 miles

That would certainly be a long drive just to get to Borth...especially when you consider tha the last 100 miles are through deepest darkest Wales!!

I shall be organising some trips again this year as soon as the clocks go forward... I have to get a few things sorted here first too as we are about to move out of our house and into a caravan, but once thats sorted hopefully I'll arrange a few weekends away. Mainly in Wales as its fairly easy for many of the members to get to (those in the Midlands, Wales and Bristol area anyway) and because there are a few places that have a wide range of conditions for windsurfing, surfing, kiting etc. all within a short distance of each other.

Probable locations are:

• South Wales... Porthcawl area.
  • The Gower
  • Pembrokeshire
  • North Wales... Dinas Dinlle
  • North Wales... Anglesey

I'd like to get to cornwall at some point too and maybe the South Coast for a demo day as well... but its quite a drive from here and its difficult to drive AWAY from the coast in the first place. Morocco would be good too!!!

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 7-3-2003 at 08:02 Reply With Quote
Olly looks like this weekend is an even worse way around for you.... Instead of the forecast getting gradually worse for windsurfing, its been getting steadily better.... But you're stuck in Wolverhampton and can't go sailing.

Its already blowin a hoolie here. Don't think I can manage a session today either as I have to work this morning then take down a fence and move our new 'House' this afternoon.

Al.

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 7-3-2003 at 08:29 Reply With Quote
It sods law, I have a rant about how crappy the weather forecasts are and they go and prove me wrong (my plan to get some wind worked!!!!)

I will hopefully be able to get out to my home lake, I will hopefully get in some much needed gybing practice, the only problem now is to try and fit in some uni work. I can feel some very, very late nights coming on to get work finished.

Hope everyone who gets out sailing this weekend has a cracking time and stays safe.

Olly

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 7-3-2003 at 09:05 Reply With Quote
looking good here too

Wind Guru

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 7-3-2003 at 09:09 Reply With Quote
South Coast looks good

Well the trees are swaying, the clouds are scuttling and all the forecasts seem to agree that we will get wind on Saturday and probably Sunday, its just a shame I can't get out today.

Hope the rest of you get a good sail

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 7-3-2003 at 10:25 Reply With Quote
Looking good here today too, just a shame I have to go to work this afternoon. doing shift work is good when on earlies can be on the water by 3.30pm. Lates is a nightmare though get to watch the wind in the morning then go to work would throw a sicky but the boss knows that I sail (teaches me not to read boards mag in work) The forcast is still looking good for tomorow so hopefuly we will all get out and get our stoked ratings up.

keep ranting about no wind and wrong forcast olly, looks like its done the trick

IainW
Grommet

Member #: 137
Posts 8

Mood:

posted on 7-3-2003 at 13:28 Reply With Quote
I am also stuck at work looking at it getting windier by the minute, but atleast it is not SW yet, which is what I need for Bala.

But over the weekend it is forcecast SW, so I guess I will be heading there - anyone else going to Bala?

Otherwise have fun out there!!!!

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 7-3-2003 at 20:28 Reply With Quote
Well, at least you weren't at the beach watching the wind and waves but unable to get in the water!! I was at Borth moving a static caravan onto (what will soon be) our plot. Everything was going fine (apart from the occasional torrential downpour) but then we got it stuck!!! Half an hour later and lots of scrabbling about in the mud and we also succeeded in getting the land rover stuck as well!!!

And then it got dark so we didn't make a great deal of progress. We did manage to free the Land Rover but the caravan is well and truly stuck at a weird angle in the middle of the plot!!.... Home Sweet Home

So, not only did I not get to go windsurfing in the decent winds we had today, but it looks as though I shall be searching for a tractor tomorrow and maybe missing out on another good days sailing. I should be able to get in for a bit hopefully though.

IainW...Why not keep heading West once you get to Bala and sail on the sea!!!... If you see Radical Rob tell him we're missing him at Borth and its about time he got back out on the sea now that he has a smaller board!

Just FYI its been SW and 20-25 knots all day here and the swell is picking up so it could be a mad weekend if the forecasts hold.

Al.

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 14-3-2003 at 08:28 Reply With Quote
They've done it again.

These weathermen ("persons" political crapness and all that) are teasing me with a meesley f 3-4 this saturday.

Looks like I will have to stay home and actually do some uni work this weekend.

IainW
Grommet

Member #: 137
Posts 8

Mood:

posted on 14-3-2003 at 13:16 Reply With Quote
Al

Maybe one day the car will find its way to Borth, but it certainty won't be this weekend as the forecast is pretty poor. Still it is the first time I have ever seen the Bala BBC five day forecast have continuous Sun

Scorcheo Scorcheo Scorcheo

Another reason is that my brother who transports all the gear is currently in quarantine with Chicken pox, caught from one of his daughters, and guess who hasn't had Chicken pox and who sat next to him in the car for 3 hours last Saturday- the day before his spots appeared. Incubation period is 10-14 days so one week to go to see if I am in the clear

Sorry to hear about you getting stuck - hope that it is all sorted now.
:(

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy