Author: Subject: Nose repair (advice?)
ShornSheep
Grommet

Member #: 73
Posts 13

Mood: Blown Away

posted on 17-2-2003 at 15:54 Reply With Quote
Nose repair (advice?)

Hope someone can help. I have a HiFly 330FX which due to being dropped has a small split about 15cm back from the nose (on the deck, not the underside)and is about 5cm in length. Any suggestions on how to repair this? Someone suggested a hot glue gun to seal the crack, does this sound reasonable. The board is plastic (not fibreglass).Many thanks.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 17-2-2003 at 17:03 Reply With Quote
Yeah, that sounds OK to me...as long as the crack hasn't impaired the actual structural rigidity of the board, then all you really need to do is seal it so that no water gets in, so some sort of glue that won't dissolve the plastic should do the job.

I had a Hifly 255 Rave with the nose completely snapped off. Steve and I spent an evening melting it with a heat gun then forcing it back together. We then taped it up with Duct tape and hoped for the best.... It didn't really work and I've never actually got around to using it...But the board was in quite a state beforehand and it didn't cost me anything.

So, in your case I shouldn't worry too much... I'm surprised that it cracked just from dropping it though if its a polypropylene board.

Mind you, I guess the Bic Astro Rock I had was some sort of plastic (a more brittle plastic than the polypro boards) and that had a little crack along the seam that I patched up with silicone sealant about 10 years ago and its still going strong.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

ShornSheep
Grommet

Posts 13

posted on 17-2-2003 at 18:47 Reply With Quote
Thanks Al, I will give the glue a try.
The board only cracked because it caught the corner of a concrete step, I was just unfortunate I guess.
It only has to last me until I have learned better technique (and saved up more cash) and I will be looking for a bit more modern kit.

Cheers

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 17-2-2003 at 18:52 Reply With Quote
No problem... Don't wait too long before gettng some more modern kit mind... The old board may actually slow your progress a little. Have you anything in mind as far as your next board goes?

Al.

P.S. Whats happened to your Avatar?? Its not showing up here.

ShornSheep
Grommet

Posts 13

posted on 18-2-2003 at 14:01 Reply With Quote
Population of the island is 1200 in the winter and 2X that in the summer. It has 6 pubs though!

I have seen others windsurfing in the summer, but not many.

I'm open to any advice about a new (2nd hand) board.
I weigh 85Kg (i'm on a diet to lose 10) and I think I am a beginner. I can beach start and I can get in the straps and harness and make the board go where I want (usually). I need lots of time on the water from now on to improve.
I would need a board that can cope with small waves and chop, but am mainly interested in early planing and speed, as you say, a blast over to Bute is possible.
The wind direction is mainly right into the bay you can see on the pic.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 18-2-2003 at 18:00 Reply With Quote
ShornSheep... If you can beach-start, and sail in the straps and harness I'd say you were an intermediate by now, not a beginner!!

Get waterstarting cracked next and you'll be able to start sailing even smaller boards. However, for now you'll really want a board big enough for you to still uphaul, but small enough to feel exciting. I'm not that clued up on boards bigger than about 100 litres, but something around 120 litres should suit you, maybe even smaller if you feel adventurous. I've tried quite a few boards in the 100-115 litre size range, and although I wanted a F2 Max2Air 264, the one I had kept breaking, so I ended up with a Fanatic Cross 100 (Which I can uphaul OK at about 12st). I wanted the Max2Air over the Cross really because I found it more responsive and better for wave-riding. However, for the sort of sailing you'll be doing the Cross would be perfect (they also do 110 and 120 litre versions as far as I know).

It really is a good all-round board, which means it doesn't necessarily excel at any one thing. Its certainly fast enough (although not the fastest), its fairly early planing, jumps OK and is fairly manouverable. Its OK for sailing in waves or flat water and is supposed to be OK for Freestyle as well... Although, as my sailing could only be described as being completely free of any style I can't comment on its freestyle performance!!

I use it as my biggest board with my biggest (6.3m) sail, but its OK with a 7m sail and also fine with smaller sized sails too, so should suit you as an 'only' board for most conditions.

The one thing I have noticed about it compared to other similar sized boards is that it remains more controllable in stronger winds an choppier waters than the others I've tried. Other to look at would be F2 Wizzards, A suitably sized Techno, Mistral Radars, Starboard Carves.

The best thing to do would be get along to a demo day and try some out.

I'm sure other people will have different opinions on suitably sized boards as well.....??

Al.

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 18-2-2003 at 18:46 Reply With Quote
Yep agree, around 120L would be good with plenty to grow into too. Still uphaulable but difficult if its bumpy.

Look at the freestyle type board but also there is still a lot of worth in a more conventional boards like the Mistral Flow, F2 Ride, Fanatic Bee etc especially if its to be your smallest board for a while as the wind range is better and they normally handle chop a little better too at the expense of a little stability compared to the newer boards.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 18-2-2003 at 19:15 Reply With Quote
BTW.... Love the Avatar Shornsheep!!!!.... Mind you, living in Wales I should be careful what I say about sheep!!

Al.

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 19-2-2003 at 15:29 Reply With Quote
When I get some money, I will be looking to get some new kit, as I intend to spend a lot more time on the front at the Golf Club this year. I spent a lot of time blasting around the estuary last year on a F2 Phoenix, which was great fun, but I suppose I must move on.
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 19-2-2003 at 16:18 Reply With Quote
The latest Boards Mag (March 2003) has a 100 litre boards test in it which highlights the differences between Freestyle and Freeride boards.

OK...100 lites is probably a little too small for you right now, but many of the boards tested will have bigger versions I'm sure... Haven't read the test yet myself though.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 19-2-2003 at 16:21 Reply With Quote
Dave... Now that sounds like an excellent plan...get out in da waves man!!

I'm sure 'some' money will come your way soon , but until then whats wrong with the Astro Rock???.... Come on, no excuses now!

Al.
P.S. Now your avatar isn't quite working!!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy