Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: What rig??
windsurf freak

Member #: 5920
Posts 3

Mood:

posted on 13-5-2007 at 22:38 Reply With Quote
What rig??

Heya guys, just bought a starboard carve 121, and now i need some advice on the rig to go with it. I have read a bit about a tushingham storm, but im not to sure on the size and the best make of boom to go with it.
Im 5ft, 6 beginner/intermediate just freeriding atm.
Thanks for any advice in advance
Kate

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-5-2007 at 05:50 Reply With Quote
A Tushingham Strom would be fine, as would almost any freeride orientated sail. Tushingham are a good make and not too expensive.

I use Gun sails which are also good value for money. (I am a 'key-rider' for Gun though so may be slightly biased, although if they weren't any good I wouldn't use them!). Something such as the Gun Target or Gun Flash wold be ideal.

As far as size goes then you will at some point need a whole selection of sail sizes, but to start with if you are only having one sail then something around 6m will probably be best.

As far as the boom and mast go, then again there are many choices and many makes.. Again, makes such as Tushingham and Gun are good value for money, not cheap and cheerful like some makes and not expensive like North or Neil Pryde, but good quality kit at a reasonable price... The specs of a particualr sail will tell you the rcommened mast length (luff) and boom length, so the size of mast / boom you get will depend on the sail..

For a 6m Storm you will need a boom that extends to at least 195cm, so a 160-220 boom will be fine, and you will need a 430cm mast (along with an extension).. The same size mast and boom will be needed for the Gun sails I mentioned, and the same will be true for almost all freeride orientated 6m sails.

Hope that helps.
Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Impi
Pro

Member #: 408
Posts 133

Mood:

posted on 14-5-2007 at 09:06 Reply With Quote
You cant really go wrong with the Tush Storm as they are pretty good value for money and well built. If you are not quite fully plaing and comforatble in the straps then a 6.0m is a good starting size, with the scope to get a 7.5m at a later stage. Both sizes should compliment the board pretty well.
AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 14-5-2007 at 09:33 Reply With Quote
Hi Kate,

What the guys say is all very true but we have to remember that we are generally more like 6 ft tall and 80 kgs on average.

The brands suggusted so far are certainly good value for money.

You might want to consider the Tushingham Mustang range. They have been specifically developed, initially for women, but then for kids and 'smaller/medium' size people (whatever that's supposed to mean!). This means that the boom cutout is a bit lower and the centre of effort of the sail is a bit lower. So basically its a range of freeride sails designed for people around 5'6" and below.

Also the size of sail you need will be smaller than we might suggest. I know when I sugggest my girlfiriend uses a 6.0m she generally finds that she's happier on a 4.5m (its a height/weight thing again)

The Mustang range has 4 sizes 4.4m - 5.2m - 6.0m and 7.0m

for your first sail you may want to go a the 5.2m but ask for advice in the shops. It does depend on what wind strengths you go out in.

The sail is the main thing to choose then get an appropriate mast and boom to fit the sail.

Good luck.

Andy

Si_B
Pro

Member #: 2537
Posts 80

Mood: Single and getting happier !!

posted on 14-5-2007 at 13:33 Reply With Quote
pm'd you chap.

Regards,

Simon

windsurf freak

Member #: 5920
Posts 3

Mood:

posted on 14-5-2007 at 14:23 Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replys, il be down the shops this weekend for a shopping spree lol!!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy