jacobias
Grommet

Member #: 6543
Posts 7

Mood: Ready to surf!

posted on 23-4-2007 at 20:52 Reply With Quote
New boarder- new equipment

Hey Im Jacob.
Im am going to buy some stuff at the weekend because I really want to get involved in bodyboarding (cant wait).
I just want to make sure that this stuff will be ok for a beginner (btw im on a budget so...)
Dropzone Rock 40"
Bodyboard HQ double bag
Vortex swimfins
Fin Savers
ZOO Bicep leash
Alder impact 3mm socks
360 bodyboard manual
Wax

All this comes for £95 as a package from my local shop. They seem really nice and like they want to help. Should I buy it? What should I change? I cant spend too much more but thanx to anyone who replys

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 25-4-2007 at 13:21 Reply With Quote
Hi Jacob,

Nice to see someone so keen to get into bodyboarding!

The package you mentioned looks quite good for a beginner on a budget and there is a lot in it for the price.

Firstly make sure that the 40" is the right size for you, the guys at the shop will probably have helped you, but I find if you hold the nose of the board at your lip, it should come to your knee or just above it, that indicates it's the right size for you, one inch out should be ok, for example a 41". I have a 40" Manta Elite (old compared to present boards) and I am about 5ft 6.

I can't seem to find anything on the Dropzone Rock board, but I pressume the package you are looking at is similar to the ones on here:

http://www.bodyboardhq.co.uk/html/newshop/packages.html

Dropzone do really basic beginner boards but if you're ok with that then go for it. If you get into the sport though, really enjoy it and want to progress then you'll probably want to get a new board quite quickly. So weigh up: either getting a better beginner/intermmediate board for more money now, or going for the basic beginner board and buying a better one later if you want to.

Personally package deal 6, 7 & 8 on the website I mentioned above are really good, although you might not want to pay that much. It says package deals 6, 7 & 8 now come with Churchill makapu fins fins or Pod fins & a Bully's wrist or Bicep leash, all for £184.95. Again, this may be too much for what you're looking for, but just to give you an idea. Churchill makupu fins are a really great classic that everyone loves and would be a good investment, although you do sacrifice some comfort with them. Otherwise the vortex fins should do great for a beginner.

Here is another package you can look at for £100. It's the same board as in package deal 8 on the other website.

http://www.bournemouth-surfing.co.uk/product _info.php?cPath=32_47&products_id=192

That BZ board is far superior to the Dropzone boards, it also includes a 'stringer' - a rod in the board to allow flex and at the same time make sure it keeps its shape during and after surfing. However, you don't get all the little extra bits in that package compared to the one you found, including not having swim fins and fin savers. You will be able to buy fins from your local shop though, this is better because you'll be able to try them on. Look at the prices, decent fins are usually £30 - £50 but can vary, again it depends on how much you want to spend.

Overall make sure that the board has the right specifications for your height and weight, ask the guys at the shop. Make sure the fins fit and are comfey, try them on with the wetsuit socks on too, and make sure they are not really tight on your feet anywhere as it will cause cramp when swimming. Also consider if you will be buying another board quite soon if you want to progress, either get a better board now or later. Try and talk with the shop staff and see if they will change the board for you, ask them what boards are better and for what price with the package, most shops do that. For £95 though that's a pretty sweet deal you've found for all that. Once you've asked about and tried on until you're happy, go for it. Hope you get into the sport and enjoy the waves

Andy

[Edited on 25-4-2007 by Airborne]

jacobias
Grommet

Member #: 6543
Posts 7

Mood: Ready to surf!

posted on 25-4-2007 at 14:58 Reply With Quote
Thanks alot!

How long did it take you to write all that? lol

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 2-6-2007 at 17:16 Reply With Quote
Lol, I haven't been on here a while, yet again.

About a half an hour I think

How are you getting along with bodyboarding? What did you go for?

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy