Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: starboard hypersonic 105
windsurf freak

Member #: 5920
Posts 3

Mood:

posted on 20-3-2007 at 20:05 Reply With Quote
starboard hypersonic 105

Heya i am wanting to buy a new windsurf board. I havent been windsurfing for that long but seemed to have picked the basics of it quite well. I have had about 8hours of lessons and 10hours rental. Will the hypersonic be out of my depth should i look for a easier board?? Thanks in advanced
kate

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 20-3-2007 at 20:18 Reply With Quote
How much do you weigh, and what kit have you been using so far? Also how are you getting on with windsurfing, when you say you have picked up the basics quite well, what exactly are you able to do?

Unless you are a lightweight and really have picked up the basics quite well then I would imagine the Hypersonic 105 would be too small and too technical for you.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 20-3-2007 at 22:53 Reply With Quote
I would advise against a hypersonic very are really technical to sail. You really have to bear them away to get them planning and trying to tack one is a nightmare there is nothing infront of the mast to stand on ! they are that short.

If you go to a smaller board too quickly it can make things really difficult all your feet placements have to be spot on. With a board of 100 ish lts unless you are a real lightweight you really need to be waterstarting as uphauling is hardwork. A lot of the time even the basic things become hard again when you change to a much smaller board

Depending where you sail it is often good to own a large board (130-150lt) for them lightwind days with big sails. I live inland and my 150lt board is the most used and its the first board that I bought. It done me well for pottering about on learning with smallish sails now its great fun with an 8.5 mt sail.

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

sarge
Hot shot

Member #: 1776
Posts 47

Mood:

posted on 21-3-2007 at 09:06 Reply With Quote
i recently bought a starboard carve 121 and find it to be exellent as a board for progressing on ie footstraps and gybing attempts and will take up to 8m sails you can uphaul it no probs.something like this or a jp x cite ride may be a better bet .look thru the mags to see who is having ademo day near u and try before u part with your hard earned cash
SteveM

Member #: 6211
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 28-3-2007 at 11:53 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by badexcuseforasailor
I would advise against a hypersonic very are really technical to sail. You really have to bear them away to get them planning and trying to tack one is a nightmare there is nothing infront of the mast to stand on ! they are that short.

Apologies if I`m hijacking this thread - I am also looking at the Hypersonic 105 (I think?), I can get it used for a good price. I am a competent flat-water windsurfer in up to 30knots but have not mastered gybing on small boards, just sail them for flat-out speed, fall in and waterstart a lot.. Question - would this board be suitable for blasting in all directions from 8-30 knots, as the Starboard marketing material claims. I would only need it for less than 20knots anyway as I have a Thommen Slalom small for 20+. Would use it (at present) with a Gaastra Nitro5 6,7sqm sail, I weigh 75kg. I`d like one board that can do a lot, would like to venture offshore and know I can get back if the wind either drops or picks up, must be good upwind as well, and handle lumpy water. Would this board work for me. (Please don`t suggest alternatives - I`m in Cape Town and these are not always available). If I can learn to gybe this thing i`d not worry about tacking it anyway..
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy