Author: Subject: Heeeeey!!!!!
Golden_drifter
Grommet

Member #: 2694
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 22-10-2006 at 19:37 Reply With Quote
Heeeeey!!!!!

Hello peeps. Newbie alert newbie alert! just finished my level 1 in windsurfing and am bloomin hooked. Gonna need some advice as buying new kit this weekend, woo hoo cant wait. Been advised to get fanatic viper which are good progression boards. Any views on that? Also never used a harness so is it worth getting one when i get my new board? One last thing if anyone knows where i can get a cheap board/package i'd be grateful( wouldnt even mind if its managed to fall off the back of an articulated) No coppers on here is there:-) Cheers in advance!!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-10-2006 at 19:44 Reply With Quote
Welcome!!!

Robin Hood watersports have some good packages on new kit:
http://www.roho.co.uk/windsurf/windsurfing_packages.html

As far as what to get goes, it all depends on your weight, your expectations and how well you pickup new things... If you aren't too heavy, fairly young, want ot get good and expect to learn quite quickly you might not need a beginners board but may be better off on a relatively big free-ride board that will then be useful as a light-wind board once you are a bit better.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

cabte
Pro

Member #: 2190
Posts 101

Mood: The all new Vertigo Hybrid!!!!

posted on 22-10-2006 at 19:48 Reply With Quote
I was just about to say Speak to justal He will put you in the right direction.
LOL

http://www.zenna-kitesurf.co.uk

Golden_drifter
Grommet

Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 22-10-2006 at 20:14 Reply With Quote
thanks for your help. I weigh 88kg am 27 and im very fit and healthy (sports science student;-) I want t oprogress as quick as poss and would loike to get a board that might take a little longer to learn on but once mastered will serve me longer ( i guess everyone says the same) I have also been told to get either a starboard carve 161 or the fanatic shark. Will having no daggerboard make a massive difference at this early stage?? I think my main problem is my enthiusiasm and confidence!! Oh by the way anyone from kent??
adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 22-10-2006 at 20:34 Reply With Quote
I wouldn't bother buying a brand new big board as you will probably progress beyond it fairly quickly if keen!

Whereabouts in Kent are you? Guys at Whitstable Windsurfing are helpful could try there and see what they have?

Boardwise have a massive range of used gear and could probably get a 1-2 yr old board, 2-3 sails, boom mast etc well within your budget, get decent mast and sails and can then keep them as you progress.

Centreboard is helpful but not essential.

Carves and JPs seem really popular big boards..

Yes get a harness you'll start using it fairly soon would think.

Golden_drifter
Grommet

Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 22-10-2006 at 20:47 Reply With Quote
Cheers Adam, think ill go 2nd hand, with priority on getting a decent boom?? Im in gillingham but learnt at whitstable so ill take a trip there Wednesday. Being at uni i have loads of free time so i feel i will progress quite quickly so it makes sense to get a second hand board. Seat or waist harness? instructor said seat but went on a forum and waist seemed to be the preference!!
jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 22-10-2006 at 20:59 Reply With Quote
Fell off the back of a lorry, burgled from someones house, stolen from someones car. People that purchase stolen goods are as bad as the person who steels it. Supply and demand, no demand...no point in someone steeling it!!!

How would you feel if after a great day on the water you arrived back at your car to find your window broken and your kit gone?

There are many people out there whose kit isn't insured in their vehicles.

If youve got £1200 quid to spend, you'll be able to buy plenty enough 2nd hand gear without buying what someone else has worked hard for.

Golden_drifter
Grommet

Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 22-10-2006 at 21:08 Reply With Quote
Steady on!! 'Off the back off a lorry' means just that in my world. i'd never buy anything that has been robbed from an individual, jeez man!! The fact the stuff is 2nd hand and not in origanal packaging would give the game away. And what would be the pointy of buying stolen 2nd hand gear, might as well buy of ebay. Sorry to of got of on the wrong foot, but it was mainly meant in jest, and for that i apologise.
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 915
Posts 238

Mood: landlocked and sick of it.

posted on 22-10-2006 at 21:27 Reply With Quote
i know go see mark at whtstable and get a kite nstead windsurfing is dead!!!!

www.globeriderkites.com
www.airjam.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 23-10-2006 at 07:11 Reply With Quote
I'd say go for 2nd hand boards as well, but new rigs... with 1200 to spend, you could get the following:

New mast: £103
New boom: £87
New extension, deckplate harness lines: £70
New 5.5m sail: £177 (Gun Ride)
New 6.5m sail £193 (Gun Ride)

Thats two sails and the components to rig them, brand new for £630 leaing you another £570 for boards... You could get a larger beginners/freeride board and a slightly smaller freeride board for that and you would be sorted for a while and a range of conditions.

Give Brian at Gun Sails a ring as all those prices above are straught from the Gun website: http://www.gunsails.co.uk/en/home.htm

Enjoy your shopping spree!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

sarge
Hot shot

Member #: 1776
Posts 47

Mood:

posted on 23-10-2006 at 11:06 Reply With Quote
check out the second hand market also as there is alot of good kit about if you take the time to search for it,just bought 2 pryde sails + mast to suit 4 300 quid .....
windsurfing dead eh. mmmmmm me thinks not

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy