<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: please help me!!!
spookie
Grommet

Member #: 2134
Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 22-7-2006 at 06:56 Reply With Quote
i think i would like to keep all my body parts lol, and we have 5 daughters too so splashing out on new gear may have to wait a couple of weeks or 3! lol, my husband bought a speed boat last week that we gotta pick up this week, so his spare dosh is spent, mine on the other hand...........is already dedicated! oh and whats a forward loop? lol
spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 24-7-2006 at 07:07 Reply With Quote
ok so i have got the bug (dont need to sell body parts yet! lol!) but maybe soon loel! we've been out couple of times now and there is definate improvement, although exhaustion and improvement go hand in hand! we are definately in need of newer kit! can you tell me tho what would be better a smaller sail or a largwer sail? we have a huge one and after awhile i really struggle just to lift it!! any advice?
jane

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 27-7-2006 at 07:23 Reply With Quote
What sort of sail do you have now? Im assuming its one of the old style sails A smaller sail is going to easier to learn with as it will be lighter and easier to move about. When you get better it will be usable in strong winds. As your near the coast you will get away with smaller sails anyway I lot of my sailing is done with an 8.5 m sail where as Al who lives by the sea ($!"&*^%) biggest sail is 6.7 and he still gets more time on the water.

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 29-7-2006 at 16:39 Reply With Quote
hi, i think my sail is 5.5???? least thats what it says on it? its huge tho compared to alot of the ones i've seen out tho! i think with a new board and smaller sail i would be well away, only money doesnt allow this month! unless i sell body parts lol! now thats got me thinking lol!, i am improving slowly, uphauling can be a killer tho! if the sail has water on it i can pull with all mt might and still i cant get it vertical! i think that may be down to my prehistoric kit! i need to find a cheap newer one to buy although e bay hasnt turned out much lately that i found!
jane

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 6-8-2006 at 16:52 Reply With Quote
5.5 isn't a bad size to learn on but the weight of the rig is just as important and heavy old masts don't help much.

My girlfriend learnt on a modern 3.7m sail (tiny I know!) and short 400 carbon mast and small boom makes for a light rig in the early days when its all about uphauling and then falling in! As you get better need a bigger sail that has some pull but for the first few sessions lighter the better. Now uses a 4.7 and 5.3.

One tip to try is to slide the rig out of the water when you'll uphauling rather than trying to pull it straight out. Also if you are on very old kit I imagine the sail will pool some water so uphaul it a bit and try and let some water drain off first before giving it the big heave.

As you are self learning as most of us probably did, a book may be useful for some reference! Think I've got an old one somewhere, if I can find it you're welcome to it (its quite old so there may be a chance they're using similar kit to you )

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy