flying froggy
Grommet

Member #: 2115
Posts 10

Mood:

posted on 14-7-2006 at 15:43 Reply With Quote
Windsurfing in London?

(first post!)
Hey all, I'm currently working in London for the summer and am wondering if you could recommend any good places to go windsurfing at weekends? I learned in France so I don't know anything about the UK scene, and I don't have any kit except shoes and gloves (and a shorty wetsuit if it's warm enough!). I can plane (just about) and use the harness comfortably though. Would like to try wave stuff and possibly learning the basics of racing/slalom.
Do you know any good places not too far from central London (preferably under an hour's train cos work starts early on mondays) and not too expensive (student budget) to hire kit where I could go for all weekends until October? Do you recommend buying kit that early or should I wait til I can actually do cool stuff with a board?
Thanks in advance!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-7-2006 at 15:55 Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the UK isn't really set up for hiring kit... You will be able to hire kit through sailing clubs at lakes, but there are very few places that I know of on the coast that will allow you to hire anything... And if there is, then the kit isn't likely to be very modern.

So, you will probably be forced into buying kit whether you want to or not.

As far as places to go are concerned, I'll leave that up to someone from that neck of the woods, but there is quite a variety of South Coast locations... I wouldn't like to have to transport kit on the train though so you are going to need either a car, somewhere to store kit at the coast or someone to share a car with.

Good luck in your quest to get on the water.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

johndoc2000
Beach Bum

Member #: 1697
Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 14-7-2006 at 16:31 Reply With Quote
You could try West Wittering Windsurf Club Its takes around 1 hour 45 on the train though and it ain't cheap - none are on the hire front - expensive business.
How about Ocean Motion Windsurfing Club They prefer that you have your own kit but give them a shout - trips from London every weekend... Check the site anyway and you could always tag along on a weekend without any kit or join to meet people who know the south coast - pick up some tips on hire/buy/locations
Al's right about the train/car/storage - not easy to lug all the kit around when you do buy.
And you may be waiting a while if you're going to wait until you've mastered all the cool wave stuff before you buy..

flying froggy
Grommet

Posts 10

Mood:

posted on 14-7-2006 at 16:42 Reply With Quote
Ah cheers guys. Might have to buy some kit then! I would have done it eventually anyway. How much would total kit cost? Should I ask this in the kit section? How hard is it to lug around in the train etc - surely it's just about 25-30kg in total so not that much?
Thanks for your fast replies!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-7-2006 at 17:55 Reply With Quote
I'm afraid you'll have no chance luggin it all around on the train... Even if you were using small wave kit (which you won't be for a while) and only had one rig it would just be too big and bulky to take on the train.

In reality you'll need a bigger board and will probably end up wanted several sails, just too much to carry on the train.

One option of course would be to go kitesurfing instead, the boards are much smaller and lighter and the kites fit into a rucksack that you could carry on the train without too much difficulty.

As far as the cost of kit goes it varies dramtically depending on age and condition, but to get something half decent you'll be looking at 2nd hand prices of around £300 for a board and then probably £100 for a sail, £50 for a mast and £50 for a boom, plus all the attachments, harness etc it will probably set you back about £500-£600. You can of course get things much cheaper if you are willing to get older kit... I've just sold 3 sails, 2 booms and some attachments for £60!

The other option is to buy a new starter package from a shop, which will probably get you a board and rig for around £800.

Hope that helps.. Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

flying froggy
Grommet

Posts 10

Mood:

posted on 14-7-2006 at 18:13 Reply With Quote
I think I'll probably wait til October and try and see if I can do stuff with other students (uni club has kit hire). I think it's probably better if I get a bit more experience under my belt before purchasing kit so I know what to get. That or learn to kite-surf. I just thought that like where I lived there was a possibility of going down to a local club and hiring kit and insurance for an affordable amount - that first club mentioned earlier was the price of a whole set of new kit just for a year!
Thanks for the advice anyway! Hopefully see you later in the year on the forum.

[Edited on 14-7-2006 by flying froggy]

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 14-7-2006 at 18:41 Reply With Quote
Im hopefully gonna get to test your old kit out in France Al when the mistral blows through and its too windy for flying.
Let you know how I get on when I come back in 2 weeks

Harry
Hot shot

Member #: 186
Posts 32

Mood:

posted on 14-7-2006 at 19:46 Reply With Quote
West Witt do hire kit - see johndoc's link. That's probably your best bet for sea sailing, although still difficult to get to without a car.

Alternatively you can sail on one of the lakes near to London e.g. Datchet or Brogborough. Obviously being inland the wind/conditions will be relatively crap.

johndoc2000
Beach Bum

Member #: 1697
Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 14-7-2006 at 20:22 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harry
Obviously being inland the wind/conditions will be relatively crap.

Too right. I tried a course with Bray Lake and the wind sucked Its an option for you though (so is Queen Mary )

[Edited on 14-7-2006 by johndoc2000]

robsurfer
Hot shot

Member #: 518
Posts 30

Mood:

posted on 17-7-2006 at 06:31 Reply With Quote
If you can get there Rye Water Sports is a great place to windsurf and learn and they have good moden kit to hire. The Lake is not far from the beach at Camber and so the wind is usualy good as its near the coast. The best wind direction to sail on the lake S, SW. E, NE, are also ok to sail directions on the Lake any other direction is ok for beginners.

Their web site is: www.ryewatersports.co.uk

Rabs

Member #: 2358
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2006 at 16:12 Reply With Quote

Rabs

Member #: 2358
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2006 at 16:16 Reply With Quote
Best bet is Hove Lagoon in Brighton which is only one hour from central London. You can hire kit and use it on the lagoon and if you are RYA Level 2 or above use the kit on the sea which is behind the lagoon. It is the only place on the south coast that lets you hire kit for sea use. You pay a monthly fee - like a gym style membership. Check out Lagoonwatersports.co.uk and clickon windsurfing.

rogerdodgersims

Member #: 8689
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 21-11-2009 at 11:12 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flying froggy
(first post!)
Hey all, I'm currently working in London for the summer and am wondering if you could recommend any good places to go windsurfing at weekends?

I think this post is 3 years late but hey ho! Both Queen Mary or Queen Mother resevoir are pretty big and above tree/roof height so the wind can be fairly clean. It's inland though so no sea breeze and no mental conditions aside from chop. About a mile by a mile and both do kit rental, pay monthly etc for starboard gear and Tushingham.mixed sails.
Seems expensive though compared to getting your own gear.

Poole Windsurfing
Hot shot

Member #: 8704
Posts 40

Mood:

posted on 2-12-2009 at 18:30 Reply With Quote
For all those looking for somewhere good to windsurf near London - Poole Windsurfing...

OK, like 'rogerdodgersims' says its a very old post but the question is one that a lot of people living/working in London probably ask. Where can you go windsurfing that isn't too far from London, has decent wind & not too expensive to hire or take lessons?

I would 100% say the No 1 location to go windsurfing at for those living/working in London is Poole Harbour. It has some of the best windsurfing the UK has to offer & progression is almost certain with the shallow, safe learning environment!

Adding to this is the fact that you can get to Poole in approx. 1 hour 20 minutes from south London!

If anyone wants more info about this great location just ask or have a look on the Poole Windsurfing school website, which has a lot of information & even a blog that posts regular articles about windsurfing technique, equipment, bargain buys, travel & more!

For windsurfing lessons / windsurf hire Poole Windsurfing will have brand new kit for the 2010 season, with 15 years teaching experience, small groups & reasonable prices.

Hope this is helpful to all those trapped in London!

[Edited on 3-1-2010 by Poole Windsurfing]

[Edited on 3-1-2010 by Poole Windsurfing]

imran0092
Grommet

Member #: 8382
Posts 10

Mood:

posted on 5-5-2010 at 12:23 Reply With Quote
kit

Hi,

Not sure about the kite, but there are plenty of windsurfing places. Nearest one is in south-end. East beach is famous for kite and wind surfing. Check out essex kitesurfing club website.

Imran

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy