Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 20-11-2002 at 10:48 Reply With Quote
Estuary/Channel

Hi everyone,

Al and me had a good time out yesterday. The weather was fair with a brisk wind good for 5.7m sails. We met at the estuary as it was offshore and the car park did not have enough wind. We rigged our 5.7m sails with (big) wave boards. Carrying the kit 500m to the channel was a bit of a hassle. But the tide was out as much as I had never seen it before in the esturay. Once we got there we criss-crossed downwind to get to the mouth of the channel in order to catch the few small waves that were there. It took quite a long time to do so with at least 30 or 40 jibes. Once out it was very hard to catch a wave. Whenever you got on top of one the wind speed increased so much that it was hard to hold on to the sail. Anyway we got concerned about what would happen if the wind dropped. Being out at the farthest buoy not a brilliant outlook. So we decided to head up into the channel again. Being well powered up it took another 30 or 40 jibes to make ground upwind. Quite fun actually but also a bit tiring on our arms. By now the tide started to fill the estuary again so we were able to sneak into a side arm of the channel taking us - at a slow safe speed, we know people wrecking their kit here - right in front of our cars.
All in all a nice time out , nothing big but fun after all. With the temperatures being almost 10?í in the air and probably 12?í for the water I was surprised not having been cold at all. Only my hands got cold but warmed up soon after pausing for a while.

Joe

[Edited on 20-11-2002 by Joe]

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 20-11-2002 at 16:16 Reply With Quote
Yep, it was a pretty good session...Joe's pretty much described it all... I was sensible though and sailed along the channel in the first place rather than carrying my kit the 500m or so to the channel in front of Aberdovey.

There was another guy out for a bit from Aberdovey as well, but I headed off downwind towards the bar so didn't get chance to chat to him.

And you've explained yourself why you weren't cold Joe...the air temperature was 10† and the water about 12†, how could you possibly be cold???!!... You wait until February when the air temp doesn't get above freeezing!

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy