Author: Subject: Snow for the weekend
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 10-3-2006 at 07:13 Reply With Quote
Snow for the weekend

It's looking increasingly likely that there will be snow at the weekend for parts of the UK, including the Midlands... There may even be quite a bit in places.

It isn't that unusual to get snow in March, in fact 'sometime' it snows in April' (which is the title of a Prince song), and we have occassionally even had a few flurries in May.

April 1981 was the one with lots of snow:

quote:
April 1981A great blizzard with thunder on the 24th and 25th; the southwest was particularly affected between the 24th and 26th. Thunder and northerly winds of 40 mph. 20 cm of snow on the night of the 25th across southern and western England and Wales: 66cm reported in Gloucestershire. Level snow of 60cms around the Peak District. The Snake Pass in Derbyshire was closed because of the risk of an avalanche. There was widespread disruption to power supplies, farming (particularly on Dartmoor), and traffic.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 10-3-2006 at 08:34 Reply With Quote
Maybe snow boarding and skiing at easter this year then

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 12-3-2006 at 07:57 Reply With Quote
The Severe Weather Warning is now extended to Wales:

quote:

Heavy Snow
Affecting Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Powys, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Torfaen & Wrexham
Heavy snow will lead to significant accumulations during Sunday morning, with 5 to 10cm expected at lower levels and up to 15cm on higher ground. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to 'Traffic Wales' for further advise on road conditions.

Issued by Met Office.
Valid from: Sunday 12 March, 2006 at 02:00
Expires on: Sunday 12 March, 2006 at 12:00

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 12-3-2006 at 14:10 Reply With Quote
We got snow here in the north west. Only about 5 cm on low lying areas but its windy & difting. Im heading up into the hills for a snowboarding session
Jonny

klasse35

Member #: 7050
Posts 3

Mood:

posted on 20-10-2007 at 14:54 Reply With Quote
Snow-Catastrophe after shuttle burnup 29.1.1986 in Mediterranean basin

Hello, Al,
Thanks for putting that Blizzard-piece from your archives to my file, it is just what I was after.: 24/25 April 1981, just 12 d. after the 1st Space-Shuttle-Start of Columbia 12-14.04.1981.

There was a similar observation: the 25 th Start ended after 73 sec (in the tragic loss of all 6 Astronauts including a nice Lady-Teacher) and a desasterous burnout of the paid load above the launch-pad in JFKC Florida. 24 hrs after that most of the material burnt (incl.the ashes of the deceased) all were blown by the winds- which later Steve Fasset used for his world-encycling balloon-tour (Southern Jetstream).
All that as immission from above 15-20.000 m caused again snowfall in Atlas-Gibraltar and southern Spain traversing half Italy Yugoslavia-Greece-Turkey and Lebanon.
I saw in Peking an exhibition of Jewish painters, sb.with a bicycle-tour that ended in snow up to the height of his saddle ! So he painted a black bike in a lot of mud-brown-whitish "snow"& himself pushing it.
I remember then to have read about Snow at the pyramids and Olive-Trees breaking under the heavy load of Snow in Greece and Italy at that time.
Does anybody of the area concerned remember the event or has Pix ?
That's why this recent EAS-jettizonizing affair is and will stay so interesting (23.07.07): there must have been somewhere a 3-5 min long burning flash over 2000 km
with continuous most severe thunderstorm and worst ever torrential rainfall pouring like"Buckets of Lake-Size"
tilted instantly. And that at the start of probably a week's rain possibly also with hail or snow. Many people must have seen such long flash in neigbouring areas (23-28th of july 2007)
Possibly in The Sahels or Monsoon-areas?
Has anybody heard of such event ?
Contacts to recent inundation-areas after Juli 2007 ?
Anybody interested in the meteorologic chains and chemical background ?

klasse35

[Edited on 20-10-2007 by klasse35]

[Edited on 20-10-2007 by klasse35]

nick-r
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1260
Posts 257

Mood: lazy

posted on 20-10-2007 at 20:08 Reply With Quote
klasse35 is obviously a rocket scientist

excuse my ignorance.but, what exactly are you talking about.?

http://www.rcad.co.uk/borthsurf.html

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 21-10-2007 at 11:57 Reply With Quote
IF they can make it snow can I put a request in for some wind please

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

klasse35

Member #: 7050
Posts 3

Mood:

posted on 8-11-2007 at 14:45 Reply With Quote
Nick-r : not precisely Rocket-Scientist, but I am talking of
Human influence on Forces of Nature, like Weather.
Not as of "human-kind" but as of some specially equipped and privileged groups of our Societies, like Military and their private associates as big Safety-Organization linked to Weather-Research.
So if you have learned some chemistry & read about the chemicals used in modern rockets, that they can thrust some 1 000 tons of weight right up into orbit -
then you may start to wonder whether there really are no side-effects.
And if you have read in the first official publications about that start, how big a hole has been "created" by that first "shot"as start through the Ozone-layer (size of half Europe!), you may wonder, why they never wrote about that point again. But after 20 starts suddenly it is noticed at the South-Pole that "the blanket has got too short to keep the world protected (covered)" against the UV-light and against what
there always was as solar-winds, comets' tails and cosmic rays, which now suddenly turn toxic.
As a Medical in the country-side in 25 yrs I had plenty of opportunity to see, be told, register myself and take many pix of alterations of modern weather to people around us, to patients and their relatives, to the trees along my daily visits. So whenever News came up about that "space-observing & -registering & only exploring system", I turned my ears and kept my eyes open to see and register what might come next.
My daughter's family almost was killed in one of those extremely-fast occurring Tornados (just after Christmas-day,crossing France and Germany and hours after Shuttle's landing) which -turning up within hours- had never before been experienced in Europe like that and if there were heavy weather, Meteorologists could mostly predict it within 1-2 days. Not always so any more in spite of all new Space-Pix.
And you can also register, that just the day of Landing of the Shuttle (or latest the next) somewhere on its trail a severe storm or Tornado starts. If you've read about the necessary manoeuvres of the Rocket-Ship above, then you may start think & reading about the technical possibilities, how those big Thruster-Rockets in empty Space above can stop that 20-ton giant-bullet....(7770m/s means flying just a little bit less than"Escape-from-Earth-Speed") ...to make it rapidly loose height & safely power- glide down to let the family have their relatives back.
So much for necessary human touch, but where do we hear about "the footprint" in values of damages? Not all is accounted for and no insurances are there to cover the "Collateral damages". We see nice Pix and hear of the benefits....
I know, the space allowed here is not enough to cover the subject.
But this all does belong into the Field of Forces of Nature and their (Mis-)Use by Humans.

nick-r
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1260
Posts 257

Mood: lazy

posted on 8-11-2007 at 16:49 Reply With Quote
i thought thats what you were talking about.....

and yes..you're right. humans are screwing the planet up!!!!!!!

whats the answer?

http://www.rcad.co.uk/borthsurf.html

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 8-11-2007 at 18:30 Reply With Quote
easy, its more beer Nick!

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 8-11-2007 at 19:49 Reply With Quote
Ah..how can you mock so easily when you are one of d massif's largest poluters...Im not refering to the emissions that Flat Sal gives off...I was referring to your ale induced flatulence of course
mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 9-11-2007 at 12:39 Reply With Quote
my light wind secret is out Jon!!!

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy