Author: Subject: How much wind?
jamesy101
Hot shot

Member #: 875
Posts 62

Mood:

posted on 19-12-2005 at 13:01 Reply With Quote
How much wind?

I have decided to have my first go at windsurfing on the estuary at Ynyslas, hopefully some time this winter. What I would like to ask is, how much wind do you guys think would be suitable for a first go. Please take into account I am only fourteen, if that makes a difference. When I had hoped to have a go before I was surfing and the wind was too strong. Thanks in advance, James.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 19-12-2005 at 15:54 Reply With Quote
It will dpend on what kit you have, but for a first go I would say somewhere around 15 knots would be ideal... Not enough to be too windy for you (and not really enough for any 'proper' windsurfing) but enough for you to feel the wind and get a feel for the sail etc.

Let us know when you'll be giving it a go and we'll come along for a laugh... Oops, I mean to provide some tips and friendly encouragement!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

jamesy101
Hot shot

Member #: 875
Posts 62

Mood:

posted on 20-12-2005 at 10:42 Reply With Quote
Yeah, come along and laugh at me from the water's edge! Thanks for that, I am not too worried about proper windsurfing. I just want to have a go. I have had enough of just rigging it up on the front lawn now. Hopefully I will be able to have a go soon. Thanks Al, James.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 7-1-2006 at 12:21 Reply With Quote
Don't you think 15 knts is a bit optimistic for a beginners first go Al?

We find teaching total beginners at the lake, approx 5 knts with a big board and smallish soft (no batterns) sail is best. I'm not really a fan of the dagger less boards either for beginners. I think there's a lot to learn on a long board with a daggerboard, ie, light winds, dagger board down is really good to learn, gybeing and how to use the harness for the first time. That’s after you’ve learnt the basics of sailing along and tacking of course.

Good luck Jamesy

Dunkster

( windsurfing instructor 11 yrs )

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy