Author: Subject: Yet more wind in the IOM
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-10-2002 at 19:21 Reply With Quote
Yet more wind in the IOM

Well, it looks as though we picked the right week to be here. After the good sail on Sunday, Monday was just as good. Not quite so much viscous chop but still a pleasant sail with 5.5m sails at Castletown. Mind you, the rain was a little painful when a mad squall came through blowing sheets of rain across the bay.

There was quite a bit of weather last night and we awoke to find most of the island (including the house we're staying in) under water. So, after spending a little time moving things out of the water and helping clear up we headed off to Douglas which was also under water and then off to the West Coast for a windsurf at Glen Wyllin. There wasn't too much wind at first so I rigged a 6.3m and my Cross 100, but the wind picked up before I got in so I quickly rigged a 5.7m and my Hifly. By then it was now too much for that really, so I had a short but sweet sail in the 1-2 foot steep waves. I was completely overpowered and just going for big jumps off the ramps but had a good time anyway. When I got back in I checked the wind again and it was 25 knots, gusting to 30 knots so its no wonder I was overpowered with a 5.7m! I should really have been out with my wave board and a 4.0m sail.

Still, another sail and another new beach to me that certainly shows some potential.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 23-10-2002 at 18:33 Reply With Quote
Still windy here

I had another good few hours sailing today at Castletown.
When I first got there it was easily 3.5m weather with a constant 30 knot cross-shore wind whipping the water up to a boiling white mass. I waited for a bit and a guy called Alan turned up. By this time the wind had dropped considerably and we started rigging 5.0m sails. The wind continued to drop so we soon changed our minds and I rigged a 5.7m while Alan rigged a 6.0m to go with his 130ltr F2 Powerglide.
I got out on the water on my Hifly, but the wind picked up again, so after a couple of runs I came back in to change down. Alan had a go with his 6m, but was struggling and also came back in to change down.
I then went out with a 5.0m and my Mistral Eruption while Alan changed down to a 5m

Would you believe it, the wind dropped again and I sunk up to my knees and eventually managed to get back in a little way downwind. Then as I was carrying my kit up the beach and about to get my bigger board and sail, the wind kicked in again, so I got straight back on the water. This time the wind stayed and I was well powered up and often overpowered with the 5.0m. It was all too much for Alan on his large board, so he packed up and watched.

I carried on sailing getting some good long jumps off the swell before having a break for a hot chocolate. Craig turned up then and rigged a 4.5m and then we both sailed for a couple of hours on wave boards on the choppy seas. The winds were a little up and down, but I was almost always well powered up with the 5m and often completely maxed out.

It doesn't look as though there is going to be so much wind tomorrow though, so I might get a rest!!

Al

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 25-10-2002 at 18:10 Reply With Quote
Another good day

The winds were a bit lighter on Thursday than they have been, but I still got out for a nice cruise around Castletown Bay on my 99 ltr Fanatic Cross with a 6.3m sail. Things soon livened up though and as I was packing up a squall came through with 26 knot gusts. I'm glad I wasn't still half a mile out with my big board and sail!

Today was althogether more challenging with a constant 26-30 knot wind. I went out with my 4.5m sail and Mistral Eruption wave board. I should have gone from Gansey really where the water was realtively flat with a nice two foot clean swell rolling in, but the tide was coming in so the waves would soon be breaking on the rocks so I went out from Castletown instead. Here it was really choppy, with a few big head high rolling swells out the back and some steep waves in the shorebreak. I was overpowered most of the time so didn't have too much sucess with my gybes in the challenging conditions, but did manage some huge jumps!

Looks like there should be wind again tomorrow and then all hell is going to break loose on Sunday!!

Anyone else been out?

Al.

Steve
Beach Bum

Fashion Victim 2003

Member #: 33
Posts 29

Mood:

posted on 25-10-2002 at 20:01 Reply With Quote
I got out for a good few hours at Draycote res, not as exciting as your sail Al as we dont get too much of a swell but it was ok for gybe practice and a few chop hops, I used my Mistral Score 88 and a 6.2 sail but later changed my board for my Bee 104 as I was sinking between the wellpowered up gust.
Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 26-10-2002 at 18:59 Reply With Quote
Hi,

yes, I have been out on Friday - on Chasewater!
I only had the aternoon to play, so I did not want to drive all the way to Borth. It was really good: sunny and well powered up with a 5.7 sail. I managed to stay on the board through all the gybes that day, a feat I had never done before. I took a swim only on 2 or 3 occasions when the wind changed for 0 to full speed or back. Oh well, it's Chasewater afterall.

Joe

[Edited on 26-10-2002 by Joe]

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 26-10-2002 at 19:11 Reply With Quote
And me again:
today (Saturday) I drove to Borth. The sea was boiling but there was only little wind. So I drove round to the estuary where I found Ben and Richard rigging. They both went out on a 5.8 and 6.4 respectively. As far as I could see they had a few descent runs but were also just bobbing at times. They reported good sailing out in the mouth of the estuary.
I could not be tempted as my mind was set on wave riding. After all I had a good session of flat water blasting yesterday. So I just watched enjoying the sun shine before it went grey around 2:30 pm. In the meantime Derek turned up but was not tempted either.
As we watched Ben returning in the estuary we saw him wipe out boldly. When coming back to where the cars were, he showed us the damage this wipe out had caused: the mast had hit dead centre on the nose of the board literally splitting it in half. A case for boardwise repairs for sure! Being afraid of running aground was part of my decision not to go out as I broke my fin last time sailing this spot.

Joe

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 27-10-2002 at 09:46 Reply With Quote
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's been enjoying myself on the water... Sounds as though the Isle of Man was the right place to be yesterday (Saturday) though. I was out in the sunshine on my wave board with a 5m sail most of the day. There was some nice swell out the back, the odd steeper bit of swell for jumping off and a nice punchy little shorebreak.

There were a couple of others out too with 4.2-5.0m sails and small boards and one guy out kitesurfing.

Its looking pretty mad here today though. This mornings boats have been cancelled, but tonights (that we should be on) is still planning on going!!!...Could be exciting as they are forecasting 90mph gusts for later today and the Gower has already had some 90mph gusts!!....Nice.

I think I might give the windsurfing a miss today and go in search of some swell for surfing instead.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 28-10-2002 at 11:51 Reply With Quote
I'm back in Wales now, but the final day of my isle of Man trip was cool. The wind was absolutely mad in the morning. One guy recorded 96mph on his Anenometer on Cregneash Hill!!

And I've finally seen some decent surf on the Isle of Man. Port Erin was big but blown out so I went to the Point at Port St. Mary's where a nice 3 foot super clean left-hand wave was breaking into the gap between two area of the flat rocks. Elswhere where the flat rocks were taking the full brunt of the storm 8 foot clean waves were crashing down onto ridiculously shallow rock ledges.

After that I went to Gansey where a few people were out so I joined them for a pretty poor surf in 2 foot close out waves. then i went to Derby haven where Doug was out windsurfing with a 3.5m sail having recently changed UP from a 2.7m! Apparently he was completely overpowered eariler with the 2.5m sail!! I didn't join him, but went to Castletown instead where a lovely little right hander was breaking onto the rocks to the left of the river mouth.

Things calmed down a bit in the afternoon and the ferry left on time. Surprisingly it wasn't even a little bit rough!

I'll write the full report in the diary later and I have a few classified ads to catch up on too.

Al.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy