<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: Another learner question
adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 20-9-2005 at 21:53 Reply With Quote
Another learner question

Have finally decided its time to learn to kitesurf and overcome my fear of the water.

Been kiting on land for a few years so have some experience but realise its a whole new game.

May get some lessons (Shem if I decide to come to Wales will give you a bell but may try somewhere a bit closer) but would like to get my own kit as well.

If I were to go for a two kite betrig quiver thinking of an 11 and 15m Strike and something around 155/40 ish board? I'm about 80kg.

Any other suggestions?

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 20-9-2005 at 22:38 Reply With Quote
sounds perfect to me, I have an 11 and 15 strike and they cope with a large wind range and are great kites.
I'd probably go with the shorter board, you'll soon get used to it and if you go with the bigger board it won't be long before you want a smaller one.

[Edited on 20-9-2005 by bucski]

Fart Boy
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1459
Posts 408

Mood:

posted on 21-9-2005 at 06:39 Reply With Quote
I'm a newbie, to waterr anyway like yourself and already feal I have out grown my 158 Prodigy. Probably will keep it though for light wind.
adam

Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 21-9-2005 at 16:46 Reply With Quote
Excellent ok.

Should of said planning on getting all kit used too.

So what should I be paying for these? Do you two fancy some new kit and sell me yours?

The Prodigy was one of the boards recommended by a friend or a Litewave 169 or 158 or Square 2.

Also does someone fancy giving some impartial advice on Best kites? Had a search and some people rave about them others slate them; is it because they are so much cheaper? Is the build as good?

What would be a decent model if I went for them, Grunt or Yarga?

They look reasonable new guess if can find used ones must be good value?

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 21-9-2005 at 18:41 Reply With Quote
Adam.. definately take the advice about a smaller board... The Litewave 169 is far too big and the Square 2 is huge, you'll progress beyond those in a day with your kite skills, even the 158 is pretty big... I reckon you would be fine with a 145cm board or there abouts... I do have a 157 stonker that I might think about selling though, I was planing on keeping it for really light wind days, but prefer to be out on my Litewave 125 really.

Can't comment on Best kites though as I haven't used them.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 915
Posts 238

Mood: landlocked and sick of it.

posted on 21-9-2005 at 19:04 Reply With Quote
just cruise kiteboarder.co.uk and ebay you want a 2003 onwards kite 11/12m & 15/16m in good condition that is medium aspect from good brands ie naish north cabrinha flexifoil big names for good sturdy kite. they are all pretty good now just don't get older than 2003 there was a huge jump in qaulity then.
also cruise the shops www.whitstablewindsurfing.com often have great deals. buy a magazine and cruise the shop websites from there. the kit can be found so cheap now, especially with bow kites being released, second hand market will be awesome for buyers.

as for board do the same, you do need a big board to start coz you'll be a pussy with power especially coming from foils where you need so much less.

a big board will save frustration while learning and then just keep it for light winds. even get a directional and keep it for the big surf when you get good- we all want directionals to surf on now anyway so easy to learn on and then great for light winds and surfing the waves.

if you try to learn on a small board it will slow you down and piss you off. i got a 155cm board for light winds, girlfriend was learning on 130cm but going slow (months and months of anger!!) leant her big board for 3/4 sessions and then she's cracked it, got confident and now rigs with enough power to ride her smaller board and having been up and riding she is happier and has board riding skills to progress.

guys used to compete at top level on 150cm boards and did better tricks than anyone at borth can your kit is not everything you may as well make it easy on yourself!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 21-9-2005 at 19:05 Reply With Quote
quick reply button seemed a bit of a joke after all that!!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 21-9-2005 at 19:07 Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7182910038&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT />
go to this link a very cheap board will get you going then you can just throw it away at that price!

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 21-9-2005 at 19:08 Reply With Quote
you need to copy the whole link it was too long
kitesurf_dan
Beach Bum

Member #: 851
Posts 27

Mood: Chilled

posted on 21-9-2005 at 19:22 Reply With Quote
I got started on a small board (142) on the advice of shem, and found it so much more comfortable to ride on than a square two i had borrowed off him to have a go on before.

Like its been said, you will get bored of a big board after a while, so in my opinion why waste £200+ on a big board that you will only use a few times?

[Edited on 21-1-2005 by kitesurf_dan]

adam

Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 21-9-2005 at 19:22 Reply With Quote
Thanks all few differences in opinion?!

Thanks for the advice willf bought quite a bit of windsurf kit from Whitstable so will check them out, will more than likely start learning around there as its about 2 hours away and girlfriends family stay there so have a base for weekends away. Quite good too as they live in Broadstairs which is right on the tip so beaches all round (well nearly)

Thats a directional isn't it? Hoping I maybe able to skip that as I have enough trouble gybing a windsurf board still after 8 years.....hopeless

So thinking about a medium size twintip as a compromise if I buy it used can always sell it on if I find it too big but as willf says a bigger board should help to start with and mean I won't need to be as powered until at least a bit comfortable?

How much would you be after for the Stonker?

Saw a Prodigy 158 that is this years board for £175, looks in excellent condition in the photos would that be ok, seems reasonable?

Also has anyone flown Airush Trios? What are they like, saw a guy with one at Borth once and didn't Shem have some for the school a while ago?

Seen a 12m on ebay brand new and complete for £250? Could be a cheapish way to start?

Edit - ok Trio could be a bit basic low aspect school kite?

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 21-9-2005 at 19:45 Reply With Quote
trio lovely easy kite bounce off the water almost but small wind range as so low aspect and you may out grow it a bit quick what about airush flow?
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 21-9-2005 at 19:51 Reply With Quote
theres a cabrinha co2 finishing soon 12m £100 quid ish
adam

Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 21-9-2005 at 20:01 Reply With Quote
Cheers found it - kite only would, are bars universal for LEIs guess newer ones have modern safety?

Whats recon?

Would that do to start with then?

Fart Boy
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1459
Posts 408

Mood:

posted on 21-9-2005 at 20:16 Reply With Quote
£175 for the Prodigy seems fair as thats around half retail price.

As far as kites go everyone has their own favs, I use an 03 slingshot fuel 13m which is mid to high aspect which I got from (http://www.s2as.com) and get on fine with it. I learnt with Shem on a strike 13m and they seem fine too and a popular choice with a slightly lower aspect than the fuel.

If you can try before you buy that's the best route but sticking to the top maufacturers while on ebay etc could get you some bargins, as I have done in the past with foils.

adam

Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 21-9-2005 at 20:58 Reply With Quote
Ok thanks.

Ebay does my nut in as always get outbid at the end so will keep an eye on kiteboarder, flexi and here.

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 21-9-2005 at 22:49 Reply With Quote
you have had a deal of advice on boards and everyone has their fav; mine are custom made in falmouth and a few of us lucky peeps ride them;" mad eel" but dont hold out much hope there as they are VERY hard to come by; Paul who makes them has a great life; he is always away enjoying it!!!!!!
now you asked about Best kites.
i have a full set of Yargas; bought just before christmas after trying most of the available kit around .( i have been on the water for about 6 years starting off with wipika free airs ,to airblasts, infact i still have my 10 mtre airblast, cant part with it i like it so much even though i dont use it!(wierd eh?) and kitesurfers) .
the yargs fly no better or worse than any other modern mid aspect kites; strikes, vegas (the vegas i thought was the kite to beat),etc. their build quality is on par with naish ( look like they come out of the same factory)
ok so i was at the right time for all the deals but bought a 20.15.13.11.9.7 for not quite £1500. i imported all mine from the states,with the exception of the 13,got that from Andy.
expect to pay about 20% import duty, although Andy at airhead is doing best now at really great prices.
i negotiate all the prices myself, get no deals or favours or back handers including free kit from any one, so this is truly my own opinion and you can see me flying them at borth most weekends weather permiting.
all best kit is far cheaper than most others, lines bars etc
hope this helps

[Edited on 21/9/05 by mNeil]

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

adam

Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 22-9-2005 at 10:35 Reply With Quote
Sorted I think

Thanks everyone for advice.

Custom boards sound good maybe something for the future? Yargas look nice but can't find any used ones at the moment, guess they are pretty reasonable new though...

BUT think I'm sorted!

Cabrinha 158 Prodigy and 10m (05) and 14m (04) North Vegas kites with one 5th element bar and lines

Don't know much about 5th line setups but the claims seem good for both beginners and as get better? Downside I see is another line to get in a tangle with LOL

Is this all ok as will be sorting over the weekend.

What should I check on the kites? Hope to be able to inflate them but if not possible guess will have to take them on trust?

Would I be silly to give them a go on land with my board (being careful not to dump it!!)

MarkyP
Pro

Member #: 1281
Posts 90

Mood: ?.... ?......indecisive

posted on 22-9-2005 at 13:45 Reply With Quote
Make sure you inflate the kites before you buy. New bladders are costly and leaky ones need to be negociated. Also when the kite is sat face down on it's leading edge go over each panel of the canopy. This is the thinest material and most likely to have small holes in it. If you find any it's not the end of the world but they will have to be patched and that will reduce the resale value of your kit.

Pay attention to the pig tails, any seams on leading edges / seams in general. The trialing edge and the wingtips are probably the first areas to show wear. Also the leading edge when it gets left on the beach.

Take your time, these kites are big. It's a waste of time trying to look at a kite deflated get it inflated and in the sunshine so you can see through the material. Holes are more obvious then.

I have bought every kite I owned secondhand and can fully reccomend it.

Good luck

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 22-9-2005 at 15:10 Reply With Quote
good advice from Mark. North vegas kites; you cant go wrong they were the ones to beat last season!

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy