Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: Weather station, again!!
shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 18-9-2005 at 16:37 Reply With Quote
Weather station, again!!

having chated to a few guys on the beach last week, I was wandering how many users would chip in towards a internet linked weather station?? It would cost about a grand to set up with software, etc. We could then go online and check the conditions at any time.

If we could get 50 of us to chip in £20 wed be sorted! What say yous??

[Admin]... To save you reading all of this thread, the weather station is now up and running. Page 3 or so of this thread covers what is there and this link shows a thread which tells you a little more about some of the weather station pages

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 18-9-2005 at 16:52 Reply With Quote
Thanks for reminding me Shem...

I was chatting to Shem about this the other day, and a couple of people on the beach yesterday. Basically, the weather station hardware and software comes to about £1000, I can't afford to pay for that myself as I don't make any money from this site, but I am willing to invest the time to set it up and keep it running if there is enough interest, and people are willing to pay an annual subscription to cover the costs of setup and running it.

Obviously the data would then only be available to those who had paid the subscription. The data would be updated every few minutes showing wind strength, direction, max gust etc along with rainfall, barometric pressure, temperature etc. There would also be a graphical presentation of data from the last 24 hours or so to enable the current trends to be seen. It all looks pretty good and could be useful to those of you who have a bit of a drive to the beach.

Lets see some names for people who would be interested in such a facility.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Pluto
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 598
Posts 281

Mood:

posted on 18-9-2005 at 18:55 Reply With Quote
Interesting Idea.

I might be in, depending on costs, but there's quite a lot of free info about, is there a market?

www.kitesurfteacher.co.uk
IKO/BKSA Instructor

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 18-9-2005 at 19:39 Reply With Quote
count me in; could there be a system for non subscribers on the lines of wendy windblows; rod bucks sites, none subscribers can access the info for a premium rate call.that way you could get a return on your running costs Al

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 18-9-2005 at 20:04 Reply With Quote
£1000 ! Ouch really that much ? ?

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

andy B
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1118
Posts 209

Mood: ah ripped again

posted on 18-9-2005 at 20:22 Reply With Quote
only £20.00 for all that info sounds good to me. with that kind of info it would be worth me coming up for a session at night in summer, there for increasing time on water. well worth it me thinks. thought it could be a good way for pluto to get rid of all the cash he must be making teaching..
MarkyP
Pro

Member #: 1281
Posts 90

Mood: ?.... ?......indecisive

posted on 19-9-2005 at 06:56 Reply With Quote
Count me in. £20 is only the price of one wasted tank of diesel when it doesn't blow. Be able to plan those sickies, cough, days off, a bit more accurately too!
Spooker
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 932
Posts 624

Mood: rattle dem bones

posted on 19-9-2005 at 07:10 Reply With Quote
I'm up for it - as Mark said - for those of us that travel even one wasted trip would cover the investment.

Don't suppose these things have a webcam as well?

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 19-9-2005 at 14:49 Reply With Quote
I'm up for it, the one I've setup at my school cost £1000, but that is an all singing all dancing affair. It does everthing, we would only want one which covers wind speed and direction would we not?
Kitefish
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 945
Posts 299

Mood:

posted on 19-9-2005 at 18:41 Reply With Quote
Count me in for twenty. Colona watersports in Egypt had one really good especially the logged info for past seasons.

Maybe Powerkiteshop would like to part sponsor this weather station, what do ya think Col?

col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 405
Posts 1022

Mood: who needs wind anyway

posted on 19-9-2005 at 20:10 Reply With Quote
yea they will buy it !!!!! along with everything else there always been asked for>>>count me in for a donation though

To Infirmary and beyond..

leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 634
Posts 613

Mood: Chillin' ya bloodclot mahn

posted on 20-9-2005 at 06:38 Reply With Quote
I'm in for sure!!

LEN10 LOOPING..

www.sskiteboarding.com

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 20-9-2005 at 09:37 Reply With Quote
As theres some defo interest, it might be worth opening a bank account, store up the coin to see what we get, and if we dont get enough pay back all the dosh??

Unless any ones got a better accounting plan?

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 20-9-2005 at 22:43 Reply With Quote
good plan Shem, we need someone to setup this all up now, I'm happy to volunteer to setup us up an account and let the money sit there until we decide to do something with it - or if someone else wants to do it that's fine. I think we need to do something otherwise this thread will creep down and nothing will have happened!
All those in favour say ai.

Spooker
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 932
Posts 624

Mood: rattle dem bones

posted on 21-9-2005 at 05:44 Reply With Quote
well volunteered that man!

Just a thought - and I bet this has been suggested before - Is there any value in asking the local council for help - many resorts have a webcam on their site to encourage visitors, and if a weather station included one of these...... be good to check the surf out as well!

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 21-9-2005 at 05:51 Reply With Quote
I can set up a bank account if you like, although it seems unlikely that we are going to get enough money up front to cover the costs so as usual some of it will probably have to come out of my own pocket... Whether or not this gets off the ground depends on how much of it I can afford to cover as Forces-of-Nature already costs me far too much to keep running!

How many people are willing to pay some money over your side Shem? As so far we only have 9 names in this thread which is a long way short of the 50 we need to cover the costs of the weather station equipment, and I will still be covering the costs of things such as a computer to run it from which will have to be up and running all the time (I can't use my usual one as I have to take it with me now and then to see clients), constant internet access etc...

I guess if I set up a bank account we can at least get some money in and see if people will actually put up some money and then keep pushing to get enough to buy the equipment.. If not I can just give it all back and we can have an evening in the friendship talking about what could have been!

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 21-9-2005 at 06:11 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spooker
well volunteered that man!

Just a thought - and I bet this has been suggested before - Is there any value in asking the local council for help - many resorts have a webcam on their site to encourage visitors, and if a weather station included one of these...... be good to check the surf out as well!

Must have been posting the last message at the same time as you Spooker... We could ask the council and I'll be seeing a councillor at the weekend so will ask her what her feelings on it are... There are also community grants available to help set such things up... I'm just not sure if a collection of kite-surfers / windsurfer from the midlands counts as a local community!!
The other problem with a grant from the council will be covering the running costs as they are likely to want the data to be freely available to all... I could however look into getting a business development grant and see what is available.

Webcams... I've been thinking about one of these for years.. There is already one in Aber http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk/webcam_frames.htm The trouble with Borth is where to site it where it has a good view but is still next to or close to a computer etc.... Would be nice though and I'm sure there has to be a way.

Al.

Impi
Pro

Member #: 408
Posts 133

Mood:

posted on 21-9-2005 at 07:50 Reply With Quote
Count me in as well. I reckon it is a fantasitc idea. It should attract more windsurfers and kiters to Borth.
mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 21-9-2005 at 10:06 Reply With Quote
now the lottery are supposed to give grants ,there is one idea. as for old computers ; what sort of ones do we need Al, there are loads being thrown out regularly at school, how high tech do they have to be.i have my old one which i will donate; it is rather slow, but so am i.
i will bring my 20 up on friday and we can get the ball rolling

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 21-9-2005 at 15:42 Reply With Quote
Cheers Neil, I've got a long list (thanks to Anna's research today) of people to contact about grants for buying the thing in the first place. I'm not sure if any of them will go for it but it is worth a try.

As far as a computer goes I do actually have a spare one sat on top of my filing cabinet at the moment that should do the job if I buy a wireless network card for it.. I could at least use it as a back up system for the weather station on those days when I have to take my main computer out of the office... I wouldn't want that particular computer on all the time as my main computer is silent and like most computers the older one isn't!!.. So that side of things should be sorted.

I'll get onto some of the grants people ASAP as these things usually take months to process.

Al.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy