Author: Subject: Fin box locking system
jamesy101
Hot shot

Member #: 875
Posts 62

Mood:

posted on 30-8-2005 at 10:34 Reply With Quote
Fin box locking system

Does anyone know where I can find the items mentioned above? I have just bought a windsurfer but I am unable to find the small L-shaped pieces of metal to lock it up with. They slide into the fin box and can't be removed when placed next to each other, great for securing boards. I have seen loads of them on American websites but none in Britain.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 30-8-2005 at 11:22 Reply With Quote
Take a look here:

Universal fin lock

let them know that Al from Forces-of-nature (or from Aberystwyth) sent you as they shold know me! I did find them in a few other online windsurf shops as well, but as usual the Gun one was exactly the same, but half the price of the others.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

jamesy101
Hot shot

Posts 62

Mood:

posted on 30-8-2005 at 11:36 Reply With Quote
Thanks, I found those on some websites but I have no idea how those sort work. Do you know if they are worth buying? I actually have one of the types of locks I was thinking about but I need another. If you think the type you suggested are good then I will trust you.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 30-8-2005 at 12:26 Reply With Quote
I think the lock simply screws in to the fin box and then the cable prevents anyone from getting a screwdriver on to the head of the screw so the only way to get it out is to unlock the cable and remove it.

I too had the sort you were on about where two plates go into the finbox and the cable holds them together preventing them from being removed... That sort won't work on Powerboxes, Tuttle boxes or Deep Tuttle boxes, only in classis (US) boxes. The sort Gun are selling work in all finbox types.

Al.

jamesy101
Hot shot

Posts 62

Mood:

posted on 30-8-2005 at 19:05 Reply With Quote
I spent some time looking at the pictures of the boardschloss you mentioned but I am still unable to envisage how it fits together. If you have used then then please tell me. Thanks.
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 30-8-2005 at 19:56 Reply With Quote
Its quite simple... The image shows both fittings, with the fitting for powerboxes etc attached to the lock itself and the fitting for the US box on its own beside it.

For powerboxes you thread the bolt through the locking deive and nd through the board and then attach it to the green square at the bottom (the green square takes the place of the fin. The locking device has a hole in the top of it which allows you to insert a screwdriver and tighten the bolt onto the fin. The cable then goes through the hole (see diagram below) obscuring the screw head so that it can't be removed from the board.

The US fitting works in a similar way. The not goes into the finbox in the same way as it does when attaching a fin. You then attach the locking device to the nut (rather than a fin) and once the cable is in place the screw-head can't be accessed so it can't be removed from the board.

Al.

justal has attached this image:

AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 31-8-2005 at 08:42 Reply With Quote
I use these, I have two for when travelling. All you need is a screw driver to fit the bolt then thread the security cable through the hole pictured.

The part pictured where the cable goes through is on top of the board and the nut goes inside the fin slot.

Once the cable is locked there is no way to get to the bolt to unscrew it so its very secure.

Cheers, Andy

jamesy101
Hot shot

Posts 62

Mood:

posted on 31-8-2005 at 09:02 Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of the advice, I think I will buy one. After all, I don't want my windsurfer stolen before I even get to have a go. I can rig up the sail though so at least I can prepare it.
jamesy101
Hot shot

Posts 62

Mood:

posted on 23-3-2006 at 20:51 Reply With Quote
Please excuse the double post. I bought that lock and it works very well indeed. Thank you to all of those who helped, it is truly appreciated.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy