Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: The cost of kitesurfing??
Joner
Hot shot

Member #: 131
Posts 74

Mood: Still Learning

posted on 30-8-2005 at 09:11 Reply With Quote
The cost of kitesurfing??

I'm toying with the idea of gicing kitesufing a go... I already surf so have wetsuit etc. but wanted to know what sort of price I could get myself kitted out with all the gear (and no idea!)... I guess I need a 2nd hand board, two 2nd hand kites and a set of lines / bar... I'm assuming I can use the same lines on each kite and that it is best to get these new rather than 2nd hand.

Also, what age of kit should I get, I know things have changed pretty quickly in the world of kites so probly don't want to get stuff that is to old. I'm not aksing for you to all post your old kit for sale here I just want some guidelines as this is still a bit of a pipedream at the moment.

Joner.

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 30-8-2005 at 19:37 Reply With Quote
You can get old cheap gear pretty cheap now which will do the job especially considering you may end up trashing it pretty quickly. No point spending heaps on new gear only to destroy it!
If you go for a couple of kites that are a couple of years old you should be fine, just be careful with the safety systems which can be a bit dodgy - even now!
A couple of kites say a 16 and 12 with bar and lines and a board might cost around £700 or even less. How heavy are you by the way?

Joner
Hot shot

Member #: 131
Posts 74

Mood: Still Learning

posted on 31-8-2005 at 05:57 Reply With Quote
Cheers mate... £700 isn't to bad for that much kit I suppose, although I was thinking of going a little smaller, say a 10m and a 14m or something like that, don't know why really thats just what I had in mind as it always seems windy here. I weigh about 13 stone.

Joner.

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 31-8-2005 at 06:21 Reply With Quote
If you look around, you should be able to pick up new kit fairly cheaply, All the new kites will be out soon, so this years kit will be discounted. Id imagine you could get a new 12/13 meter compleate for £400 ish. Then get a second hand board for £250ish. Be carefull about what you buy, the wrong kites and board will making learning difficult.

Id say start with one good kite, and then look for a cheaper second one once your into it.

have fun!!

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 31-8-2005 at 19:38 Reply With Quote
Hi Joner

Listen to shem, m8...I'm 13 1/2 stone and started with a 12m mid aspect. There stable, easier to control and water launching them is much easier. It still remains my most used kite.

The board I started with was far too small and I really struggled until a m8 sold me an RRd 170. It's Quite floaty, but has a sharp rail so can hold a reasonable amount of power. I was managing to stay up for 2-300 yard runs within an hour.

I've just bought myself a 135 and as much as i've loved every minuit on the RRD, I am thinking about selling it. If your interested £120 is the price. Drop me a mail. If not good luck an we'll see you on the water.

Angusj
Grommet

Member #: 1470
Posts 14

Mood: Ah yes..always good...

posted on 8-9-2005 at 22:50 Reply With Quote
£330 got me on the water by way of ebay. 12 M kite,bar and lines, and a 7'6" directional. I bought them seperate, Just decided how much I wanted to spend to start with and there you go..Still have 200 bucks to spend if anyone has a 16 M to sell in good condition....250 with some extras ? By that , I mean a toaster...or bar, lines box of beer...

[Edited on 8-9-2005 by Angusj]

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy