Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: FON Pembro Trip 22-24 Nov??
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-10-2002 at 06:42 Reply With Quote
FON Pembro Trip 22-24 Nov??

OK, theres no details yet, I'll post those later, but we're planning another trip (hot on the heels of the Gower Trip), this time to Pembrokeshire for the 8th 9th and 10th of November 2002.

Probably based around Newgale, but i'll confirm this once I've checked the availability of accomodation, pubs etc.

Once again, the area should offer good possibilities for windsurfing, surfing, kiting and other Forces-of-Nature sports.

Reply to this posting if you're interested in joining us. I'll try to add some more details before I go away on Thursday.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

qualigs
Hot shot

Member #: 9
Posts 32

Mood: Moochin'

posted on 14-10-2002 at 11:29 Reply With Quote
Might be heading home to see the folks but if not Ill definately be up for that! Enjoy your trip back to the Isle of Man, It's very Wet there at the mo but I think the wind is Ok.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 14-10-2002 at 19:03 Reply With Quote
James...will you be around the weekend after that??...As you're the first to reply it would be easy to re-schedule. And its good to have you and Des there too as you'll both get in the water whatever the conditions.

Al.

markh
Hot shot

Member #: 42
Posts 56

Mood:

posted on 15-10-2002 at 16:38 Reply With Quote
Sounds excellent Al. Let us know which weekend you decide on. I can do either at the moment.

Blowing a hooly here in London at the moment but no chance of getting time off this week

qualigs
Hot shot

Posts 32

posted on 15-10-2002 at 18:05 Reply With Quote
Im more likely to be about the weekend after. It's Mums B'day on the 9th so if I go home it will be that weekend. Im desperate to get out again so it would be cool if you could make the next weekend.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 15-10-2002 at 21:16 Reply With Quote
OK, its a deal then the dates will be November 15th, 16th & 17th.

I'll confirm the details later, but we'll probably meet at Newgale and base the 'activities' around Newgale, which is a long sandy beach backed by pebbles. It can be good for surfing if theres a swell, good for windsurfing in winds with some westerly in them (or Easterly which is dead offshore for flat water blasting). Theres also plenty of hard packed sand for buggying or just kiting. There are also quite a few other beaches around and plenty to do should the weather be uncooperative.

Theres a surf shop just behind the beach and a couple of pubs...(Anyone know anything about the pubs there??...which one is best to meet in...not too busy, serves food etc.)..I always used to meet in the Mariners Arms in Nolton haven not far from newgale, but I've heard that its gone downhill recently so it time to try somewhere new... Any recommendations?

I'll look into accomodation options in a minute and post what I find here.

Who's up for it??
Any Questions or suggestions??

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 16-10-2002 at 19:42 Reply With Quote
More info

Right, heres some more info on the Pembro trip.

As far as pubs go, theres really only one choice in Newgale itself, unfortunately as far as my memory serves, its a pretty dreadful affair called the Duke of Edinburgh, so in the evenings we'll meet at the next closest pub which is the Harbour Inn in Solva. Solva itself is a pleasant little village and harbour about 5 miles out of Newgale on the A487 towards St. Davids.

This also opens up the options as far as accomodation goes as the Harbour Inn itself offers accommodation. (tel: 01437 720013 ). I don't know anything about the prices as yet, so if anyone finds out let us know. There are other accommodation options in Solva too.

Solva is also right in between Newgale and St. Davids so we'll have plenty of options for things to do. Windsurfing, surfing and kiting at Newgale or Whitesands. Abereiddy not too far away for surfing too. Broad Haven for windsurfing if its too rough at Newgale. Or if its really rough and we need some flat water, Dale isn't too far away.

Also, if theres no wind or surf theres loads of nice climbing routes along the small cliffs between Solva and St Davids..so those of you that climb (James, Steve?), bring your kit. I'll try to find my Pembrokeshire guide and might even be persuaded to put my climbing shoes on again.

If its not too cold this stretch of coastline is also some of the best in the country for some coasteering. And, as always, failing all that theres always the pub with its 'Real ales from the cask, real fires, good atmosphere'.

Al.

qualigs
Hot shot

Posts 32

posted on 17-10-2002 at 12:05 Reply With Quote
Yep Im comming! Des has been on to me today too asking when the next trip is and Im sure JK and Sarah will come aswell. . Ill get in touch with them today and see if they're comming.Looking forward to it already. there might be a few others trying to escape Wolverhampton that will come aswell so could have a midlands convoy yet.
Wavehead

Member #: 71
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 17-10-2002 at 16:49 Reply With Quote
Pembrokeshire

Would love to join you guys but am working that weekend. I used to head off to Broadhaven/Newgale every October had some great times. The Galleon PH in Broadhaven is good boozer with 'relaxed' licensing hours

Keep me posted you never know may be able to get some time off???

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   Wavehead 's ICQ status
wareisdes
Grommet

Member #: 69
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 17-10-2002 at 22:01 Reply With Quote
AT LAST! I am desperate to get back in the water!..the weekend of the 15th is good for me as i am going back to the IOM on the 9th the same as jam!..jam are you talking the van?...write me an e.mail or something to tell me your plans and we can arrange to go home together!

So what are the chances of this place being as good as the gower?..i have high expectations now!!..also it would be cool to get a new toy to test out there!

des

markh
Hot shot

Posts 56

Mood:

posted on 28-10-2002 at 14:47 Reply With Quote
All gone quiet here while Al's away. Anyone know what the campsites are like around there and, of course, if they're actually open!

I've managed to get the Friday off so am hoping to head down from London on the Thursday night. Anyone else up for a convoy from the big smoke? I might have a bit of spare space for kit in the van though haven't got it all racked up yet.

nicp
Hot shot

Member #: 30
Posts 37

Mood:

posted on 28-10-2002 at 18:01 Reply With Quote
hello all, I may well be up for this, consider me a possibly if the forecast is looking good! Might well try and combine my journey with MarkH or there might be a london convoy as I have a couple of other windsurfing mates who might be up for this

have to get the glow plugs fixed on the van and a new MOT but fingers crossed

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Member #: 72
Posts 79

Mood: needing time out

posted on 28-10-2002 at 18:42 Reply With Quote
Looks like I may well be able to make it as long as I don't manage to get a job.

A couple of bits of info:

For more details on the area, check out http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/location_reports.htm Follow the map links through to Newgale.

Al's probably highlighted the best pub - The Harbour Inn in Solva. Also worth a mention are the Ship Inn & the Royal George - both also in Solva. Don't have any great expectations for beer - this has to be the worst part of the UK, unless you love Worthingon, Whoosh, Boddies, Felinfoel - all pulled through a sparkler, all too cold, all tasteless & all over £2 a pint.

For accommodation, it may be worth thinking about a caravan if you fancy sharing & saving costs: The nearest site is Nolton Cross caravan park - 01437 710701.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 9-11-2002 at 21:44 Reply With Quote
FON Pembro Trip 15-17 Nov

Right, time to start making the final arrangements for next weekends trip.

I was originally planning on getting to Solva on the Friday evening..will anyone else be arriving then? If not then I might just drive down first thing on Saturday morning as I don't want to be sat in the pub all on my own!!

Al.

MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Posts 79

posted on 10-11-2002 at 22:06 Reply With Quote
I guess my arrival will be pretty much wind dependant! If it's looking like it'll be windy, I'll be there but probably won't turn up if the forecast doesn't look too good.

As for Fri eve - I'll probably give that a miss & aim to arrive Sat am - notwithstanding what I said above!

Al, could you perhaps email me your mobile no (if you have one)? That way, we stand a reasonable chance of meeting up!

markh
Hot shot

Posts 56

Mood:

posted on 11-11-2002 at 12:41 Reply With Quote
Al - Have taken Friday off work so should be heading down late Thursday night or Friday morning. Either way I'll be ready for that pint on Friday evening!

It's a bit of hike at > 250 miles from London so the only reason I'd pull out is if there is absolutely no wind or swell predicted whatsoever. However quite happy to surf instead of windsurf so I'm hoping that's unlikely.

Mark

(P.S. Al - i'll email you my mobile no.)

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 11-11-2002 at 20:45 Reply With Quote
Cool,
I'll get there Friday evening for a drink (or three) with Mark then, (and anyone else who's turning up on Friday...I think Steve will if theres wind forecast and maybe James and Des??

Pray for wind and surf!

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 13-11-2002 at 17:51 Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the wind and surf forecasts don't look great for the weekend in Pembrokeshire, although there 'could' be a little wave I guess.

So, James, if you're still coming, don't forget your kite and mt. board this time, and bring your climbing kit too. At least it should be dry so we'll be able to explore the coast a bit if nothing else.

Al.

markh
Hot shot

Posts 56

Mood:

posted on 14-11-2002 at 15:20 Reply With Quote
Wind/Swell forecast still looking pretty dire at the moment (except for today of course) so I think i might pull out. Shame, as I'd like to get out there on the water with y'all but I'm not sure I fancy the drive there and back without seeing some action on the water.

It does mean I can get on with doing the interior of the van though so all is not lost. Look forward to your next trip. I'll also post when next heading down somewhere.

Mark

MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Posts 79

posted on 15-11-2002 at 12:51 Reply With Quote
Sorry Al - like Mark, I'm not going to make it due to the lousy wind forecast

Next time I'm going over to Pembs, I'll give you a shout.

For all those who do go this weekend, have a great time - at least the weather's supposed to be a little better (Ie: Less rain).

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy