Author: Subject: Tow Out Bodyboarding
batboard
Beach Bum

Member #: 1366
Posts 23

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2005 at 23:35 Reply With Quote
Tow Out Bodyboarding

A while ago, cant remember exactly, reference was made to the fact that bodyboards don't tow into big waves like surfboards and are thus unlikely to tackle big waves. Well, guess what, got a copy of bodyboard 3sesenta in the Canaries and there is an article on tow out bodyboarding which has been pioneered by the French and very interesting it is too.
klain
Grommet

Member #: 1439
Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 13-8-2005 at 11:27 Reply With Quote
my god would'nt you kill yourself wow

[Edited on 13-8-2005 by klain]

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 16-8-2005 at 11:06 Reply With Quote
If anyone has seen the metaphyzikal video (mickey smith's first video) then there is tow in bodyboarding on that. But, it's not on huge waves...instead the jet ski tows the bodyboarder along the wave until the boarder can ride along it himself, and because he gets so much speed he hits the lip of the wave well fast, and does these massive twisting airs

Very cool, he brakes alot of boards though

booger
Pro

Member #: 1324
Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 17-8-2005 at 03:39 Reply With Quote
Mate do u mean tow out or tow in?
tow in is getting a jet ski to tow u onto a massive wave that is to big to paddle into (which isnt usually a prob in booging but is needed for standups on large waves) like there is no way a stand up can paddle into big cyclops but boogers can. the reason boogers dont tow into big waves is because they can usually paddle in unlike surfers which need the jet ski. and if u mean tow into like 50ft waves the reason boogers dont tackle these waves usually is you cant generate enough speed on a boog to surf waves of this size.

tow out means using a ski to go at the wave and hit massive airs. The new tension 8 has sean virtues biggest tow ever, but i rekon the best tow out u will see is the sean virtue backflip he hits in the intro to tension 4, that opening is the best to any vid ive ever seen just makes u wanna turn it off and go for a surf
saw lackey and a mate doing tow ins at froggys a few days back.

batboard
Beach Bum

Member #: 1366
Posts 23

Mood:

posted on 17-8-2005 at 09:31 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by booger
Mate do u mean tow out or tow in?
tow in is getting a jet ski to tow u onto a massive wave that is to big to paddle into (which isnt usually a prob in booging but is needed for standups on large waves) like there is no way a stand up can paddle into big cyclops but boogers can. the reason boogers dont tow into big waves is because they can usually paddle in unlike surfers which need the jet ski. and if u mean tow into like 50ft waves the reason boogers dont tackle these waves usually is you cant generate enough speed on a boog to surf waves of this size.

tow out means using a ski to go at the wave and hit massive airs. The new tension 8 has sean virtues biggest tow ever, but i rekon the best tow out u will see is the sean virtue backflip he hits in the intro to tension 4, that opening is the best to any vid ive ever seen just makes u wanna turn it off and go for a surf
saw lackey and a mate doing tow ins at froggys a few days back.

Actually, I meant tow out, sorry alot of sea water still in me ears after cotillo

In regard to the point about big waves, came across an interesting point that airborne had on a post (apologies if this is crossing threads) which he found on wannasurf.

www.wannasurf.com/spot/Australia_Pacific/Australia_ WA/Fitzgerald_River/cyclops/

That review of the wave also says:
"It is pretty much only a bodyboarding wave, although surfers can tow in, but it is risky, but has been done before in billabong odyssey."

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 17-8-2005 at 19:43 Reply With Quote
hmmm yeh i remember that, bit of trouble with the link, it should be:

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Australia_Pacific/Australia_WA/Fitzgerald_River/cyclops/index.html

I also meant tow out must be all that lacanau water in my ear as well
Although sometimes the jet ski pulled Chris White (the booger)towards the beach, it was mostly the jet ski jumping over the wave while Chris White carried on the wave hitting the lips...my days there were back flips galore, air spins so high etc. in the biggest shorebreak, so hes landing on the whitewater or its a soft landing in 2 inches of water. Mind blowing stuff.

[Edited on 17-8-2005 by Airborne]

[Edited on 17-8-2005 by Airborne]

booger
Pro

Member #: 1324
Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 27-8-2005 at 08:08 Reply With Quote
i love the shory they tow into in perth, i rekon id ditch the tow after a while and just surf it, makeable, heavyish, clean, clear water barrells
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 27-8-2005 at 09:47 Reply With Quote
sweet, lacanau (france) this year there was the biggest shorebreak i've ever been on..although somedays it wasn't, but i remember on one day the waves came right up near the beach and were breaking into like 2 inches of water. If you wern't careful and didn't pull out of the wave then you could get your face burried in the sand. Once i managed to stay in the whitewater instead of pulling out, and luckily my board slid along the sand as i spun it round.
Not very clear but ah well:

Attachment: spining.JPG (23.54kb)
This file has been downloaded 596 times

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy