Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: going over the front whilst beachstarting?
zebedee23
Hot shot

Member #: 488
Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 9-5-2005 at 10:33 Reply With Quote
going over the front whilst beachstarting?

First session out for many months at the weekend, it was pretty choppy and mushy and onshore, so to deep water beach start, had to line board up against the waves - so had to be pretty quick once I found a spot to go for a take off. I found that very often, I was pulling straight up and over the front - is this most likely due to over-extending the front arm or not keeping the front leg straight once it was out of the water - or something else? It was about f5 and I was on a 5.8, just the right amount of power.

(Someone afterwards told me the wind was shifting a lot, particularly in gusts, so I wonder if it was shifting as I was coming out of the water, hence the frequent dunkings?

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 9-5-2005 at 10:51 Reply With Quote
Sounds like your leaning too far forward and your body position to far up the board. Gusty conditions dont help either. Its bloody hard to waterstart in gusty conditions.

Is wasn't so long ago where I was exactly in the same position as yourself and I could never figure out what I was doing wrong. Its damn hard to explain to someone especially when youve taught yourself entirely but the best thing to do is get advice and keep practising as its all about time on the water.

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 9-5-2005 at 11:06 Reply With Quote
Have a look at Guy Cribbs website. He has something about that I'm sure.

Just had a hunt.....

http://www.guycribb.com />
and its about getting your leg over

[Edited on 9-5-2005 by Wes]

AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 9-5-2005 at 11:35 Reply With Quote
Hey zebedee23,

Going over the front whilst beachstarting is often a result of not anticipating the power from the rig in stronger conditions. With the waves making life difficult you try too hard to get up onto the board and the combination of the pull of the sail and the water moving you're whole setup about makes for an early exit over the front.

What you need to think about is that as you will be really well powered up once on the board so you need to hang low off the boom once happily out of the water, keep your weight low.

In a F5 the rig will pull you out of the water without the need for any real technique.

Keep practicing, it will end up like second nature.

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 11-5-2005 at 08:21 Reply With Quote
one thing to watch out for when beach starting in ohshore conditions is the fact that even though your powered up on the rig you may well be sailing slowely or backwards/sideways at first due to the swell this tends be sending the board and rig in different directions.

practice is the only way forward

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy