Author: Subject: Kitesurfing kites
kaossurfer
Grommet

Member #: 1230
Posts 12

Mood:

posted on 3-4-2005 at 18:35 Reply With Quote
Kitesurfing kites

I need information on choosing a kite for kitesurfing. I'm 6'1" and weigh 105kg. I would probably use it around the west wales coast from pembrey to newgale. Any advice or good websites woul be very much appreciated, cheers.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 3-4-2005 at 18:44 Reply With Quote
There are so many to choose from... And the choice will depend on your ability and the winds you expect to use the kite in. However, assuming you are a beginner and will be using it all year round I would recommend a medium aspect LEI such as the Flexifoil Strike and a size of around 11m as an only kite... A kite of that size should give you a good wind range. To start with you'll be able to get the hang of it in light winds.. It will fly and give you a feeling of its power on the beach in 10 knots.. However you'll need quite a bit more wind to get going properly on the water.

Once you have the hang of it I would imagine such a kite would be good in 18-22 knots for your weight and even more once you know what you are up to... By that time you'll have a whole quiver of different sized kites anyway!

There are loads of other kites, but I'm familiar with the Flexifoil kites... If you have flown an LEI before and fancy a go on the Strike, pop up to Borth and you can have a go on them here.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 79
Posts 402

Mood: i thought the winter/spring wa

posted on 3-4-2005 at 19:08 Reply With Quote
for your weight and i take it your are a beginner. i would chose a larger kite say 14 or 15m and use it in lighter winds from 12-16 knots ( less when flying it onthe beach to practice). it is easier to learn with a larger kite and when you do get on the water it will be powered up in lighter wind so less can go wrong and if it does then it will all happen slower. other people may disagree but for the average bloke using one kite i would buy a 14m and a 140 board say 37 wide.

kaossurfer
Grommet

Member #: 1230
Posts 12

Mood:

posted on 3-4-2005 at 19:29 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice, you're right, i am a beginner although do surf and have done a small amount of wind surfing a few years ago. Presumably an inflatable kite would be best as they can be relaunched off the water and whats the difference between a 2 line and 4 line kite.
chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 79
Posts 402

Mood: i thought the winter/spring wa

posted on 3-4-2005 at 20:09 Reply With Quote
my advice is find a good instructor. or to start withj buy a small power kite and fly it until you can do it in your sleep then get some lessons.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 3-4-2005 at 20:56 Reply With Quote
Chris.. I didn't mean a smaller kite would be the best allround kite for his weight, just that as a complete beginner he would initially get more use out of it..... The bottom end of both would be the same, say 6-8 knots to get them flying nicely, OK, you won't be on the water and certainly won't be powered up with that much wind, but you'll be able to fly the kites and get to grips with the all imprtnat kite-handling skills... The top end of the smaller kite will however be reater than that of the bigger kite, say 20 knots compared to 15 to start with, so as his only kite he'll get more flying time with the smaller kite to start with... Better to be flying the kite than sat on the beach waiting for the wind to ease off before you can get out... At the end of the day, no one kite will ever get you out in all conditions.... (Except maybe a Spider Modulus, but that is going back a few years and it was never exactly brilliant!!! )

Yep, you'll want an inflatable kite..Most people use LEI (Leading Edge Inflatables), but there are relaunchable foils around as well... I'd recommend an LEI though. I'd also go for a 4-line kite rather than a 2-line kite as they give you the ability to depower the kite whilst on the water... Similar principle to sheeting in whilst windsurfing.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Pluto
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 598
Posts 281

Mood:

posted on 9-4-2005 at 09:37 Reply With Quote
Good advice from Chris.

Found a GOOD instructor yet? Give me a call - 07813451262. There are others.....

Paul

www.kitesurfteacher.co.uk
IKO/BKSA Instructor

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy